Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help finding a Prince keyboard sound

hey gang - about halfway through this song, they launch into an laid back yet epic groove jam. There are a couple of sounds going on, kind of a percussive-phased-popping-clav thing and a solo with a biting sort of sawtooth thing maybe? I remember these as sort of ubiquitous type sounds back then, but can't find them now. Whatever they are, they are simply awesome, especially being played over this hypnotic and sultry groove. If anyone can point me towards these patches I will send you a sixpack! :-)

[video:youtube]

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious. Why do you want these sounds and what gear are you using to try and match them?

My soul funk band decided to cover this song. I'm a Prince fan, but surprisingly I hadn't heard this one before. So we started jamming it, I absolutely love it. I can go on for hours on the jam section, very hypnotic for me. Luckily for me, we have a great drummer and bass player that can totally lock in the groove. So getting the sounds, or close to them - is a way for me to attempt doing justice to this amazing section.

Gear: Nord Electro 6D, fairly new to me. Mainstage - very new to me, love it. As for finding outside patches, not sure how I would upload them in Mainstage, haven't progressed that far yet. The existing sounds in Mainstage are amazing. So this song caused me to step through the Mainstage library, and I couldn't really locate patches that adequately matched up. And - I'm just getting started in understanding how to layer effects and modifiers with the channel strips. Stepping through the hundreds of sounds was a journey itself.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

The synth I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the percussive-phased-popping-clav thing is an actual percussive, phased, popping Clav.

haha Josh, I think you're right! They just have it so tight, so clean, with just a skosh of grit. I think much of it is the amazing talent of the person wielding the axe and composing the riffs, his royal purpleness! I'm assuming he played most of the instruments and tracks.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

There is another thread about this song on one other forum too, where people were speculating various 80's synths. This song is from the eponymous Prince album from 1979, probably recorded in 1978, and in my opinion the main "synth" is definitely a Clav run through some Phaser. The only synth he could have possibly used would be from the 70's, so maybe an Oberheim 4-voice for the stabs.

It's an incredible song, and way ahead of its time. It definitely doesn't sound like anything produced during that time - and it's easy to mistake it as an "early 80's" song. His next album only a year later - Dirty Mind (1980) - is in the same vein.

As mentioned above, that record was made in the late 70s.

Nowadays, almost any poly synth can reproduce those KB sounds.

Any ROMpler definitely has a reasonable facsimile of those sounds too.

Unfortunately, there are so many presets in synths and ROMplers that finding the sounds requires a librarian. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Lead is just octave saws with no filter envelope, gated VCA, and a fast LFO routed to the wheel, paddle, or PPC pad if he's using an Odyssey. Should be easy to set up on practically anything. And dude... put a shirt on! :D

haha... I will definitely be keeping my shirt on!

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

As mentioned above, that record was made in the late 70s.

Nowadays, almost any poly synth can reproduce those KB sounds.

Any ROMpler definitely has a reasonable facsimile of those sounds too.

Unfortunately, there are so many presets in synths and ROMplers that finding the sounds requires a librarian. :laugh::cool:

I know I know Prof - this seems like a slam dunk - I'll get it by gosh! One of the tricks for me is to program a mod wheel vibrato into an organ fader (Electro 6 - no mod wheel)

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I know I know Prof - this seems like a slam dunk - I'll get it by gosh! One of the tricks for me is to program a mod wheel vibrato into an organ fader (Electro 6 - no mod wheel)

What about an expression pedal for that?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

What about an expression pedal for that?

yeah hmmm not so sure about that. Much more inclined to use fingers for vibrato... closet guitarist I guess

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Good Prince track, sometimes his royal is not relating to how I would express such ideas as in this song, but that's OK.

Getting those (multi mono, Prophet, CS80 ?) synth lines to sing , the chorus to create proper depth and warmth and the wha to match human feeling most likely requires ample production techniques.

T

ProfD: "Unfortunately, there are so many presets in synths and ROMplers that finding the sounds requires a librarian."

There is that, but I am amused to see how I mosey through what I have and then readily settle on the working patches. Its an ultra-modern way of setting up the "band" for the piece. It seems a bit lazy on the surface, but I see it as choosing my paints. I know about a third of my instruments' sounds fairly well and a third somewhat less so, with a third being unknowns, sound effects and unfortunate references to dubstep.

I recently ditched several moribund instruments, swearing on a more austere footing. Then I bought Memorymode. So much for that plan! I ask to be beaten with a stick until I stop even fantasizing about needing a Quadra. I'd need it less if the panel was all grey shades and not near neon. :/

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

That song would have been a hit if it had an eddie van halen guitar solo.
Going off topic from my own post - - as I went down the rabbit hole, I found this video with the Godfather, the King of Pop and Prince - all on one stage. It turns out there was a rivalry between Michael and Prince, and Michael got the best on this one. Prince confided afterwards with his band he knew he had screwed this one up, and it ended up pushing him to do better.

[video:youtube]

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 2 weeks later...
I read that Prince loved using OB-X presets with the cutoff turned up. Have you tried the OB-Xd soft synth. An iPhone/iPad and a cheap bluetooth midi transmitter like a BM-A01 is a great way to "audition" sounds and effects. There's a decent to excellent iOS app for just about any classic synth/instrument you could ask for and the apps are generally $5. For effects, apps like Overloud TH-U are customizable pedalboards organized by classic songs. These apps can be hosted/connected in the free Garageband app, but I prefer AUM.
Questing through innerspace...