Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carry On Piano - could this be what we've been looking for?

Has anyone checked this out? Seems too good to be true.

https://shop.blackstaramps.com/carry-on-piano-fp49/

The only downside I'd see is that it is not velocity sensitive (at least the specs don't mention that).

But for working on basic tunes while traveling, could be ok.

It should fit in an overhead bag when flying (nothing else I own can do that) but I have NOT YET pulled the trigger; was wondering if anyone has tried one.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Amazon, the 49-key version is $100, and they also sell an 88-key version (which unfolds four sections rather than two) for $130.

My uninformed guess would be that the action is...what you'd expect at this price point, especially given the uneven key height shown in the little video on the Blackstar website.

But it's probably at present the only folding controller with these features (including speakers), if that's really what you need. Personally, I don't ever see myself absolutely needing to travel with an inexpensive folding MIDI controller, but all that means is I'm not their target demographic I suppose.

Funny thing, there is a "troubleshooting" video that tells what to do if the keys come loose. They are designed to be "breakaways" to prevent real damage. They basically snap on and off...LOL

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I don"t know. This is an odd foray for Blackstar amps. It looks like they tweaked a few things on an existing product and ordered it with a rechargeable battery, some keys that look like a cross between the X-Key and other button-key-like actions. They say it has 'feel'. But I don"t see a spec sheet that suggests touch/velocity sensitive.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The video cleverly disguises the pivot point in use, but by slowing the speed down to .25 you can see the hinges and gap between B and C when folded out at 17 seconds. It's only in three frames - and clearly visible in one. I dare you to spot it in real time. :laugh:

The Eb chord has diminishing dynamics. My guess it's velocity sensitive.

I just hope this product rises above the early hype, noise and confusion, so we can get a good glimpse of actual usage beyond the illusion of a fold up controller. Sales may initially soar ever higher, even perhaps too high if it really finds a market. But without actual product usage demos, we are both mad and blind until someone can see and think through all the features, and hopefully it will successfully trigger all necessary voices, even dreaming pads and leads that we can hear them say...

I'd be very cautious on that...

While I too am intrigued with the concept of a viable travel keyboard which I could easily take in my carry-on bag on a plane (which is not the case with my Casio CT-S410), I'd check it out in person. I saw one at the local GC, and the keyboard guy there (who knows me), wouldn't even bother to show it to me saying "You don't want this... Don't even bother looking at it... Trust me..."

Feedback on their website includes:

"They're extremely cheaply built and I feel it will break under even light usage. I believe the connecting cables between keyboard sections will prove to be its Achilles heel. The sounds are toy-like and there is not even a full GM sound set. The onboard speakers are woefully under-powered and range limited."

"I bought this bc I loved the folding portability idea. I knew it wasn't going to be a great keyboard but I was hoping it would be functional. Bottom line: The feel of the keys are the same as a computer's keyboards buttons. The height and size dimensions of the keys is what made it impossible to play at all. Good as a toddler or child's toy instrument."

Overall, it has 3.3 ratings after 8 reviews.

Now if I could find a way to fold the CT-S410 in half -- then we'd be on to something!

...The search continues...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

⦠a viable travel keyboard which I could easily take in my carry-on bag on a plane (which is not the case with my Casio CT-S410) â¦

Before the lockdowns. I traveled for 3 years through Asia and Europe with a Roland Go Piano 61 in a very snug fitting soft padded case. The airlines always had me hand-carry it on the airplane. If they showed any doubt, mentioning that it was a musical instrument usually settled it. I was actually fine checking it in, I even inserted hard plastic sheets for better protection, but the only times I had to check it was boarding a cruise ship or riverboat.

The Casio CT-S1 type keyboards are about 2 inches longer but basically the same size. I"d love to be able to fold it in half and pack it in a suitcase, but I"ll take whatever i can get at this point. Though if i was going to go for something that i could pack in luggage, i might go with an iRig Keys I/O, with the built-in audio interfaces or maybe a couple of the iRig Keys Pro 2 37-key full-sized editions.

⦠a viable travel keyboard which I could easily take in my carry-on bag on a plane (which is not the case with my Casio CT-S410) â¦

Before the lockdowns. I traveled for 3 years through Asia and Europe with a Roland Go Piano 61 in a very snug fitting soft padded case. The airlines always had me hand-carry it on the airplane. If they showed any doubt, mentioning that it was a musical instrument usually settled it. I was actually fine checking it in, I even inserted hard plastic sheets for better protection, but the only times I had to check it was boarding a cruise ship or riverboat.

The Casio CT-S1 type keyboards are about 2 inches longer but basically the same size. I"d love to be able to fold it in half and pack it in a suitcase, but I"ll take whatever i can get at this point. Though if i was going to go for something that i could pack in luggage, i might go with an iRig Keys I/O, with the built-in audio interfaces or maybe a couple of the iRig Keys Pro 2 37-key full-sized editions.

Thanks for the comments -- I was wondering if the airlines would treat the cased CT like an acoustic guitar case and let it be carried on.

I had tried the iRig Keys Pro 2 37-key you mentioned -- too few keys, which killed that one for me, and I didn't like the action. I'll have to find a good case for the CT and add extra padding and something to better protect the keys.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

no one got my wayward son reference?

I'll admit that I missed it the first time -- which is a shame, as it fits in so well with the "CARRY ON" theme!

Old No7

Prior to travel by air back to Missouri during the Thanksgiving Holidays, I was looking for a travel piano keyboard for carry-on and I tried out the Vangoa Folding, Lexington Splicing, and Carry-on (88 key version) piano keyboards from Amazon. I returned all three before the trip because IMO their internal sounds and speakers blew chunks. Although I could midi my Ipad to all three for better sounds, I felt that the boards should at least have good enough internal sounds and speakers for just casual spur-of-the-moment noodling without having to hook any peripherals up. For context, my Casio CT-700 smokes all three of these keyboards for internal sounds and speakers.

Having said all of this, IMHO the all-around best of the three keyboards I tried was the Vangoa Folding piano keyboard, because it at least had somewhat touch sensitive, nearly full-sized keys with travel approaching a real piano. Both the Lexington Splicing and the Carry-on piano keyboards had smaller (shorter) keys and substantially less travel, with the Carry-on being the worst having no touch sensitivity at all.

I'm hoping that Casio or Yamaha jump on the concept of an affordable folding or spliceable piano keyboard for air travel carry-on that will provide decent internal sounds and speakers as well as basic midi functionality. I suspect that there could be a lucrative market. I'm aware of the old VAX-77 folding keyboard from several years ago but it was priced way out of reach for the mass market or weekend warriors such as myself.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)