Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another quick Korg Module/AUM q

I don't know if this is another undocumented difference between the free Module and the Module Pro (I have the free version), but In AUM, when I call up Module's UI and mess with the parameters of my Ivory piano, I can't save the preset the way I can when running Module standalone. I tap "Category", scroll down to "User", but there is no "Save Program..." displayed in an empty box like in the standalone version. I know my edits are saved in the AUM session file, which is nice, but I would like to also save them in Module itself, should I ever use it standalone or in another AUM setup. Maybe there's something I'm not getting about AUM and AUv3 plugins and preset management in general, but this seems weird. The only way I can see making the edits to my Module instance in AUM an actual Module preset is to manually switch between AUM and standalone Module, adjusting each parameter manually so they match, then saving in the standalone. This seems very clunky to me. Thanks for any insights!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ran a test and the edited patch appears in AUM under the USER section. Did you scroll down the list on the left (under the Category heading)?

Although AFAIK, at this stage, you do need to save in the main app. After which the edited versions then are available under the User section in AUM plugin.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I just ran a test and the edited patch appears in AUM under the USER section. Did you scroll down the list on the left (under the Category heading)?

Yes I did scroll down. And yes, presets previously saved in the main app show up in AUM. My question was about saving an edited Module program when you're already in AUM and doing the edits in Module's GUI in AUM.

Although AFAIK, at this stage, you do need to save in the main app. After which the edited versions then are available under the User section in AUM plugin.

Which means that my initial description of this process as "klunky" is correct. It's all great if you do your editing in the standalone Module, then save. But if you're already in AUM and need to edit Module from there, you can't save the edits - you have to call up the standalone, then manually duplicate your settings one at a time, switching back & forth between AUM and standalone Module (unless you have a photographic memory! :) )

then manually duplicate your settings one at a time, switching back & forth between AUM and standalone Module (unless you have a photographic memory! :) )

I am unsure where you are getting " I need to switch back and forth?" and why you'd need to remember anything.

AUM is essentially a "mixing" app where you put your patches together for a performance...I mean, I know of no synth players who manually edit patches on a hardware synth live (apart from just basic EQ'ing and other level controls depending on venue. It is all pre-show! If you absolutely MUST edit a previously edited patch after deploying in AUM, then, well, just go back to standalone and do it there.

Don't get me wrong, it WOULD be nice if Korg allowed editing in the plugin version (as do a lot of other apps) but to me, it's no biggie...FWIW, my process with a new app is to go through all the presets pick the ones I want to use, edit to my taste and then just use them in either Camelot or AUM, using the latter two apps to setup the songs, levels, splits layers and pans, etc. Which, I am sure you probably already do - and again it would be marvy if Korg introduce this into future updates, however it is what it is. Personally I do not find it clunky because, again as stated, I do it all on the standalone version first. It's pretty much the process I adopt with all plugins on the iOS system. Even the ones that DO allow editing in the plugin version :)

It IS on an iOS device, so it's not like you have to go over to a PC and do all sorts of USB or WI-FI edits and then transfers of new patches. It's all on one device...edit in the standalone and when you open in AUM hey presto the edited patch is automatically there.

I am not belittling your situation at all, truly, and I understand your frustration at this, but to be blunt, you do seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

then manually duplicate your settings one at a time, switching back & forth between AUM and standalone Module (unless you have a photographic memory! :) )

I am unsure where you are getting " I need to switch back and forth?" and why you'd need to remember anything.

I thought I was clear about that but I guess not. I did a bunch of edits in Module while in AUM, then discovered I couldn't save those edits to a new preset there. This meant I had to run the standalone Module, them switch back and forth between the two Modules' GUIs to visually make a note of the parameters' values in my edited version (in AUM) and manually input those settings in the standalone, so I could then save the preset in the standalone, so it would be available to me in AUM. I know, that probably sounds even more confusing!

I understand what you're saying. Don't get me wrong - the inability to save an edited preset from AUM is certainly not a deal-killer, just an annoyance! I posted here because I thought I was missing something obvious that you veteran iOS-ers knew about! My reasons for wanting preset-saving in AUM are this: I found that a preset I set up in the standalone Module didn't sound exactly right when it was in AUM, and needed some final tweaking. (In AUM I'm bussing the audio from all my AUv3s to a master channel with a reverb, and sometimes I'm layering the piano with another AU doing strings. I also tried putting an additional eq node in the Module channel in the hopes of improving the piano sound). You get the idea - in the context of my AUM patch, the Ivory piano's sound changed. So, after spending about 20 minutes in AUM trying to dial in as good a sound as I could (mostly with eq), I went to save my edited preset and... this thread is the result! I think I'll live! I know how to deal with this situation now â either I somehow get the sound perfect in the standalone, or simply write down the settings I come up with in the AUM instance, go back to the standalone, dial those new settings in, save the preset, then go back to AUM where this new preset is... NOT shown! (That's right, you have to delete and re-instantiate Module in order to have the new preset show up â and in doing so, you lose your midi links. I have a button on my A800 linked to "bypass" that I needed to re-program).

If i get your question right, i think you can't save a parameter in AUM for Module - only the other way round, and only if you have the full version, so you can save a sound with all its parameters in the USER spot. But in AUM the Korg Module functions as a "slave" not a "master", so i guess it does not save anything which was not previously saved on it. You have to switch apps to save the parameters to your liking

Is that your question?

Sorry for the misunderstanding if any...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

That's basically it, yes. I'm new to AUM and very recently even entertained the idea of using my iPad as my one & only rig on a gig. So this is all new to me. I'm learning - sometimes quickly, and sometimes not so quickly!

The gist is that I do like to edit "in context", which would be in AUM, however it appears that you can't save edits to an individual instrument's presets there. I do realize they're saved in the AUM session file so it's OK â just a little inconvenient for my current workflow.

That's basically it, yes. I'm new to AUM and very recently even entertained the idea of using my iPad as my one & only rig on a gig. So this is all new to me. I'm learning - sometimes quickly, and sometimes not so quickly!

The gist is that I do like to edit "in context", which would be in AUM, however it appears that you can't save edits to an individual instrument's presets there. I do realize they're saved in the AUM session file so it's OK â just a little inconvenient for my current workflow.

Yes, it's a little more inconvenient but once you get to its logic, it's fun and practical. Just thing how much less weight and hassle you will have to deal with with (just) your ipad and a simple keyboard controller. I myself, decided to explore the ipad route for smaller gigs, and it seems that my apps (AUM, Korg Module w/Scarbee rhodes and wurlie, VB3m, Arturia Model D, iMini, Animoog, Tal-U Roland Juno, Apesoft Electric Vintage, iMS20, iPolysix, Torero organ) have nothing to envy to their hardware brothers or even their laptop ones.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Oh yea, I went to a jam session the other night with the lightest load of gear ever. I left my SKB Studio Flyer home and my computer backpack felt like it was empty! I'm still struggling to stay positive since the sounds are a step down in quality from my usual laptop rig, but I'll either get used to it, find better sounds, or just relegate the iPad-only gigs to those where compromising my sound is the lesser of other evil options. Having said this, I'm amazed what my old iPad Air 2 can do with AUM and the other apps and instruments I've downloaded over the past week. This seven-year-old iPad is running everything at a 128 buffer, and I can have forScore up with charts if needed. All clamped to an arm of my litte x-brace stand that holds my 10lb controller! It's crazy what technology can offer these days. Now I just have to learn to play!

If i get your question right, i think you can't save a parameter in AUM for Module - only the other way round, and only if you have the full version, so you can save a sound with all its parameters in the USER spot.

I can definitely save a preset in the free version of Module - just not when I'm editing in AUM. Only standalone. But preset saving is in both the free and "pro" Module.