Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tracking Black Friday Sales 2021

Open Studio has a Black Friday sale for 60% off GREAT classes. I know there are Open Studio members here.

I've been around music education for decades and checked out a lot of the online courses and I like Open Studio the most.

Link to Open Studio

For those keeping count, that's three recommendations in this thread to check out these courses. Open Studio really is building an amazing jazz piano community.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[Yes indeed; ordered a Behringer CAT a few days ago.

Please post your CAT first impressions. That CAT still intrigues me - ever since the 1970s.

It seems to be built well. No issues. It's a fun little synth; my first real synthesizer so I don't have a lot in way of reference, but it has a nice sound. I'm primarily going to be using it for synth bass. The one thing I will note is that the tuning isn't consistent each time you adjust it...the coarse tuning knob has a very small window where the synth will be in tune, but that window frequently changes and becomes larger or smaller. The fine tuning knob is very useful to tweak it further. That may well be a normal "feature" of analog synthesizers. Other than that I like it a lot.

If you plan on transporting the CAT, I've found that the SKB i-series 1610-5 hard case with cubed foam works perfectly for the CAT and PSU.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3i16105BC--skb-iseries-1610-5-waterproof-case-with-cubed-foam

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I see Korg still has the performance pack (adding splits and midi learn tools) set at $30 (aud) - maybe by tomorrow (our time Nov 30) they might put a one day special on it?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

So tomorrow this thread get renamed the Cyber Monday empty your wallet sale. The What The Hell extending our sale one more day sale. Extra 10% the stuff you wouldn't buy on Black Friday Sale damit. The buy this junk so our employees get a holiday canned ham sale.

I see Korg still has the performance pack (adding splits and midi learn tools) set at $30 (aud)
Per Korg's website, the "special" discounted price for the Performance Expansion pack is USD$19.99 (approx. AUD$30).

https://www.korg.com/us/news/2021/111802/

ahhh, ok thanks for that, wonder what the full price is....it just seemed expensive for what most others just simply include, didn't realise that WAS the discounted price haha!. It's pretty vital so I might just have to get it

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I"m considering the Scarbee Rhodes but I can see there are 2 versions, Mark1 on Native Instruments website and EP88 on scarbee.com. The prices are $34.50 / $51.50. I assume EP88 is a newer version? The EP88 obviously have more keys but other than the 88 range is there a difference between Mark1 and EP88 (justifying the price difference)?

I"m considering the Scarbee Rhodes but I can see there are 2 versions, Mark1 on Native Instruments website and EP88 on scarbee.com. The prices are $34.50 / $51.50. I assume EP88 is a newer version? The EP88 obviously have more keys but other than the 88 range is there a difference between Mark1 and EP88 (justifying the price difference)?

They sound and feel different. I guess it is a matter of taste which one you'd prefer. The Classic EP-88s has more detail and greater dynamic range but sonically I prefer the NI version. It sounds a little more coherent to me and invites me to improvise - always a good sign.

Both are excellent libraries, though.

Open Studio has a Black Friday sale for 60% off GREAT classes. I know there are Open Studio members here.

I've been around music education for decades and checked out a lot of the online courses and I like Open Studio the most.

Link to Open Studio

For those keeping count, that's three recommendations in this thread to check out these courses. Open Studio really is building an amazing jazz piano community.

GovernorSilver, Morrissey, would you mind letting me know who you are on OS? I obviously use my real name and you might see me all the time on the live YTs and elsewhere. I'm wondering if I've seen you guys. If you prefer to let me know via PM that's fine. (And if we're friends on FB or something and I've forgotten, sorry!)

Count me as another vote for OS. I've also been watching a lot of their other students go from zero to 60, I mean, some of these people can really play now. They have a live monthly masterclass with cats like Peter Martin (obviously), Geoffrey Keezer (coming in December), Orrin Evans, Fred Hersch, Emmet Cohen, Christian Sands, Billy Childs, and lately the quality of the players who have performed for the master has gone through the roof. It's also been really impressive how OS has continuously improved what they offer. They learn what works and do it. They recently revamped their Jazz Piano for Beginners course and it's really great now. It was good before, but they've focused it a bit and added their Guided Practice Sessions to help you go through the material. Before it was like Peter going, "yeah, go do this." They've also added the Piano Pathway where you decide what level you're at and they recommend the courses for you that apply.

They said their sale ends 11:59 PT tonight so you still have time.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Welcome, guys! I think you can join the community at Open Studio Pro. You can't access the OS Pro courses without the OS Pro membership, but you can participate in the challenges, see what other people are doing, etc. It's a good, friendly community. They also have links and reminders for events, too.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Link to Open Studio

GovernorSilver, Morrissey, would you mind letting me know who you are on OS? I obviously use my real name and you might see me all the time on the live YTs and elsewhere. I'm wondering if I've seen you guys. If you prefer to let me know via PM that's fine. (And if we're friends on FB or something and I've forgotten, sorry!)

Count me as another vote for OS. I've also been watching a lot of their other students go from zero to 60, I mean, some of these people can really play now. They have a live monthly masterclass with cats like Peter Martin (obviously), Geoffrey Keezer (coming in December), Orrin Evans, Fred Hersch, Emmet Cohen, Christian Sands, Billy Childs, and lately the quality of the players who have performed for the master has gone through the roof. It's also been really impressive how OS has continuously improved what they offer. They learn what works and do it. They recently revamped their Jazz Piano for Beginners course and it's really great now. It was good before, but they've focused it a bit and added their Guided Practice Sessions to help you go through the material. Before it was like Peter going, "yeah, go do this." They've also added the Piano Pathway where you decide what level you're at and they recommend the courses for you that apply.

They said their sale ends 11:59 PT tonight so you still have time.

I just checked, Open Studio is having a Cyber Monday sale now. It's slightly less of a discount, 50% off instead of 60%. Similar to yesterday, their sale ends 11:59 PT tonight so you still have time if you missed the Black Friday deal.

Two of possible interest:

DJ Tech Tools...

https://store.djtechtools.com/pages/black-friday-cyber-monday-sale-2021

Their MIDI Fighter Twister and Chroma Caps are probably the biggies. They also have the iLoud Micro Monitors at $199.

Chicken Systems sample conversion software, etc., mostly 50% off

https://samplerzone.com/pages/black-friday-2021-information

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It's Cyber Monday and Eventide has a sale until January 3rd with 30 day demos available. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

I am a fan of Physion and Micro-Pitch, both great sounding and useful. I'm considering Precision Time Align, not an effect so much as a "janitorial" plugin but being able to accurately align phase from a pair of mics is a great trick.

Quadravox is more of a "what will happen if" effects monster. Both of those are $29.95.

I have New-Fangled Saturate, that is a fun toy too.

https://store.eventideaudio.com/collections/plug-ins

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Link to Open Studio

Hey Joe!

I haven't been active there because I've been prioritizing Christmas tunes in my practice. But I'll keep an eye out for you if I ever get active there.

For the handful of folks who might be using GeoShred, there's a special on the GeoSWAM instrument collections. My faves are GeoOboe and GeoFlute but always thought brass was missing, which has finally been addressed. The full SWAM collection has more than just trumpet and trombone, but it's a good start.

GeoSWAM Collection II - Our new collection of 5 instruments: GeoTrumpet, GeoBassTrombone, GeoBassFlute, GeoViola and GeoPizzBass. Normally priced at $59.99USD, Collection II is discounted to $49.99USD, a 33% discount off the individual cost.

GeoSWAM Collection I - The classic collection of 6 instruments: GeoViolin, GeoTenorSax, GeoFlute, GeoCello, GeoClarinet, GeoOboe. Normally priced at $74.99USD, Collection I is discounted to $59.99USD, a 33% discount off the individual cost.

GeoSWAM Collection I + II - Both Collections 11 instruments: GeoViolin, GeoTenorSax, GeoFlute, GeoCello, GeoClarinet, GeoOboe, GeoTrumpet, GeoBassTrombone, GeoBassFlute, GeoViola and GeoPizzBass. Normally priced at $119.99USD Collection I + II is discounted to $109.99USD, a 33% discount off the individual cost.

GeoShred Pro - Normally priced at $24.99USD is discounted to $14.99USD, a 40% discount.

GeoShred Play - Our entry level product can be upgraded to Pro and can be used purchase the GeoSWAM instruments, is available FREE OF CHARGE.

**Note that Apple sets the local territory price and may add additional local charges such as VAT, GST.

Jordan Rudess demo

[video:youtube]

Blargh, I jumped my mac os from Sierra all the way to Monterey, being between projects and wanting to update in order to update Logic Pro X.

And sure enough, problems with an ssd and some Logic projects crashing when opening. The ssd I needed to update anyway as it was set to EXFAT format, Kontakt was very unhappy. So that entailed a fair number of re-locating Kontakt and one Spitfire libraries.

The crashing was due to Exponential Audio's R4. Izotope bought them out a while back and apparently have left it for dead. I use it and especially Phoenixverb a lot, especially for the plate alorithms, so I may be in the market for a verb or two.

I honestly should really give Chromaverb a chance, I've fallen victim to the "stock plugin, must not be as good!" mentality. It doesn't have a plate though, and the one plugin I have (xenoverb) that does, I don't like that much.

Trying out demos for Transatlantic plate and Kush goldplate now. They both sound good but very different from each other, which doesn't help with deciding things! Getting some glitchy audio with Goldplate that could be a demo limitation but it seems too often...cpu seems fine so I don't know what that is. Maybe another Monterey issue...

Welcome, guys! I think you can join the community at Open Studio Pro. You can't access the OS Pro courses without the OS Pro membership, but you can participate in the challenges, see what other people are doing, etc....

Thanks Joe for the welcome! That pro community seems to be locked up tight and only available to pro members, but I appreciate the suggestion.

I took a look at the Open Studio Jazz courses on sale and realized that I already own the majority of the ones I wanted to buy. :laugh: Damn, son, so much work ahead maybe I should give up on practicing Christmas tunes and get right to business on this stuff.

So today's purchases, because I like Adam Maness's teaching style:

Jazz Chords for Beginners

5-min Ear Training and Bebop Enclosures for Beginners (package deal with above)

Adam has some good stuff. I have been doing the Major Scale course and that's been great and challenging. I know my major scales, but not like this. :o:thu:

8dio is offering 60% off. Their sample libraries may not appeal to those who need bread and butter KB sounds for gigs. Their target audience seems to be composers, film scoring and creative musicians thinking outside the box. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

IK Multimedia has SampleTank 4 Max at half price for SampleTank owners.

$149 for 260 gb of sounds. I don't think I will live long enough to even listen to a few seconds each of 8,000 sounds.

Nice library if you don't have umpty bajillion sounds already.

Mostly I make analog sounds anyway.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Open Studio has extended their sale until tomorrow night. Still some great deals.

I joined OS Pro last week and I'm very happy that it's the community I hoped it would be. Since I'm not gigging, especially on jazz piano (yet), this is a supportive way to get thrown in the deep end and have to learn and play in front of people. It's a great crowd and we're all helping each other. I highly recommend it if you can do it. But the courses and other memberships are great as well. :thu:

I think I'm done...I ended up getting Fluffy Audio's solo cello and solo violin. I got their My Piano when they had a big covid-related sale (proceeds going to charity in Italy) and they were very friendly and helpful when I had a question.

I think eventually I might dive into a big orchestral library (not that I really know how to write using those instruments) but the Fluffy sale was really good and I got both for 49. I actually was using a Komplete cello and violin for a project and I think these are a big improvement.