Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to monitor my racked Mac Mini at the gig

As usual, I sit around and think of all the ways I can mess things up...I mean experiment

As most of you know, I use a late 2018 Mac Mini, 32GB Ram, total 1TB SSD in my Mainstage Rig. The issue has always been a streamlined way to have a monitor.

I've had a few things I've done

A pencil thin HDMI monitor, and a wireless keyboard in case I need to do anything

My iPad via DUET. Worked well most of the time, but could give me fits now and then

I had tried using an old Mac Book, but at the time it didn't play nicely

Then I couple weeks ago, I had heard Apple had quietly (to me at least) updated the ways you could share screens and control from on Mac to another via a quasi VPN

So, I get out my old late 2013 MBP (4GB, 128 SSD) and I wiped it clean and loaded Big Sur OSX on it The old gal updated to it perfectly.

After that was all set up, I fired up the Mini (Catalina OSX with current Catalina Updates, as well as completely up to date Mainstage, Logic Pro X, etc..)

In the System Preferences I went to the Sharing section, and went thru and allowed anything I'd think I need to (except wifi and bluetooth access from people outside of me)

This included allowing control from a remote Mac

So far so good

Next Step: Connect the Mac Mini to the MBP via Ethernet cable. While the Mini has an RJ45 built in, the 2013 MBP does not. I just happen to have an Apple RJ45 to Thunderbolt dongle. Great!

So now they're hooked up. I restart the Mini, and I startup the MPB

I then Go>Network on the MBP, and there's Mini listed I select it then hit Share screen. After 5 seconds.... there it is. My Mac Mini Desktop on my MBP. And, I have full control, mouse, keyboard etc.

I mess around awhile and it's perfect.

This past weekend I used it at a live show. Cool thing, I could put the rack "way over there" out of sight. I just ran a 20 foot Cat 6 cable from the rack to the Macbook that sits next to me, low.

Here's some pics of the setup

I moved my i/o panel to the back of the rack. The red arrow points to the new RJ45 pass-thru connector I installed

u47R50.jpg

Here's the front showing the MBP and the adapter

rzuCtw.jpg

Here's the pretty Mac Mini Desktop as it looks on my old MBP It's not really blurry, I took pic too quickly before iPhone finished focusing

ShpbAJ.jpg

Using the Macbook to easily do all my editing of the music stuff on the Mac Mini

gvTunt.jpg

Anyhow, just wanted to share the latest evolution of my setup

Hope you all have an enjoyable Thanksgiving. I need to find my stretchy pants :thu:

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

That"s really cool David. It"s great that you are always looking for alternative ways of making life easier. Having the trackpad and keyboard at the ready is a big convenience over 2 other devices. Just means you can find another use for the iPad now!
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

What would be wrong with a simple touchscreen monitor? It's what I use thin and only 13" . Runs off a single USB C cable. https://www.amazon.com/Eyoyo-Touchscreen-1920x1080-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B07RV9FYVG that is just then one I use, but there are others.

Unless of course you DO prefer having an actual physical keyboard and track pad mouse.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

That"s really cool David. It"s great that you are always looking for alternative ways of making life easier. Having the trackpad and keyboard at the ready is a big convenience over 2 other devices. Just means you can find another use for the iPad now!

I already do :) I use it to run my ears. I have monitor apps that work with pretty much any system. Engineers are HAPPY to give me the access, then they're not responsible for my ears. They just restrict my access to whatever AUX they assign me

dCWjek.jpg

Very cool! I'm too stupid to understand it all, but I get the gist.

BTW, it seems like a Jupiter X + 88 controller would have been a possibility for a band like yours. Did you ever try that?

Don't say that, I did not start out smart about any of this. It's years of trial and error, and always searching for the ever elusive perfect set-up (for me..your idea of perfect will probably be different)

As far as the Jupiter X. Yeah, that is really cool. I've been kind of doing that with my RD-88 and Nautilus 61

What I miss is the infinite routing and control possibilities if I use Mainstage or GigPerformer. Also, I don't restrict my gear thought to what my current (albeit 17 years now) band is. I sit in with a TON of people of all genres

What would be wrong with a simple touchscreen monitor? It's what I use thin and only 13" . Runs off a single USB C cable. https://www.amazon.com/Eyoyo-Touchscreen-1920x1080-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B07RV9FYVG that is just then one I use, but there are others.

Unless of course you DO prefer having an actual physical keyboard and track pad mouse.

I pretty much had that with my iPad. It made my Mac based stuff touch screen. While it is possible, there are many things that must be done to make a true Touchscreen Monitor work with a Mac Mini. Yes, there's a couple companies that now have some solution for their touch screen monitors, but it involves additional software. I have learned, and prefer to keep my stage rig clutter free. My Mini runs nothing but music applications.

The fact my tired, old, yet useful, Macbook Pro connects natively with the Mini, is optimal for me. It can also serve as a basic backup to get me thru a gig if at any point, the Mini goes haywire. Granted I won't be running Keyscape or Omnisphere, but I have enough synth VSTs on it to limp thru a show if I had to.

Finally, having the track pad and laptop keys makes working in those apps on the Mac Mini very nice and easy

I appreciate everyone's thoughts

David

Great to see remoting in has got a whole lot easier.

I've just started using an M1 Mac mini in my live rig. I use a 12.9" iPad Pro as the screen connected to the Mac Mini via USB C using Duet. Works a dream.

Bonus of the new iPad Pros (not sure if the older ones have this also) is it has magnets on the back to connect to the Magic Keyboard. These keep it clamped to the metal section of my top board a Nord Wave.

As an FYI the Magic Keyboard can be used to control the Mac Mini. Also the M1 Mac Minis will run headless without any third party hardware

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

That's great Steve!

Yes, my Mac Mini will also run headless without third party hardware, despite some (Apple's) claims otherwise. I've never had to get those little HDMI plug to fake a monitor when using the iPad as monitor.

David

That"s interesting. I guess Apple must have changed something either for 2014 or the 2018 Mac mini as the 2012 I used to have wouldn"t boot without an HDMI fake monitor plug

Good to hear the mini is working out for you. I"ve only just swapped from a mid 2014 MacBook Pro to the mini and was nervous no immediate screen and keyboard wouldn"t work out

I believe it was a change with the 2018, which is what I have.

I saved a ton of $$$$ and installed my own 32gb of ram (2-16gb modules)

And I also have an external USB -C 3.2 Samsung T7 SSD that sits in the empty bay of the Rackmac mini

All my third party libraries live there. (Keyscape, Omnisphere, iK B3X, etc. )

David

How do you find the speed of the T7?

I went for base spec with the M1 Mac Mini as a) the upgrades are pricey and b) I think the M1 Pro and poss Max will come to the mini fairly soon so may chop the base mini in for one of those

I currently use an old 512gb SSD in an external enclosure connected to the USB A port. I have been considering an NVME in external enclosure connected to the USB C port for a bit of a speed boost.

Love the Rackmac enclosures. Shame in the UK they are so bloody expensive. Interestingly the space on the end of the Nord Stage 2EX 88 is just big enough for the Mac mini to sit (with the iPad Pro on the Wave on the Tier above)

Be very careful the type of enclosure you get for an NVME, In order to get speed anywhere near what the NVME can put out (read/write) the enclosure MUST be true Thunderbolt 3 Remember, Tbolt 3 and USB C share the same connectors. Cable is important as well. There is a difference between a regular USB C cable and a Tbolt 3 cable, despite both fitting the USB-C ports on the Mini

My T7 is showing read speeds of 1,100mbps Much better than the old external usb-c SSD that barely reached 500mbps My Keyscape loads up RIGHT NOW, and I get no buffering

The best external SSD out there that is certified Thunderbolt 3 has Read/Write Speed of close to 3,800mbps, and is also $749 on sale ... now we're getting close to the price of a new Mac Mini (basic model)

David

.....I saved a ton of $$$$ and installed my own 32gb of ram (2-16gb modules)

Didn't realise this was even possible on a mac mini David - is it a tricky job? To go for just 16 gig model down here adds about $400+ to the base model so installing ones own memory as you say, will save big $'s

As a supplementary (and assuming you had the cover off) is it also possible to swap out the SSD (base 512gig) to install my own SSD?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Didn't realise this was even possible on a mac mini David - is it a tricky job? To go for just 16 gig model down here adds about $400+ to the base model so installing ones own memory as you say, will save big $'s

As a supplementary (and assuming you had the cover off) is it also possible to swap out the SSD (base 512gig) to install my own SSD?

Installing your own ram in a late 2018 Mini is not officially condoned, but it is doable.

You sort of have to carefully disassemble a bunch of things once you"re inside.

Then it"s just the typical 2 memory slots.

The hard part was finding the exact spec memory modules

On this same model Mac Mini you can"t upgrade the SSD. It is hardwired motherboard level

I didn"t worry about that since I have all manner of good external SSD

David

Installing your own ram in a late 2018 Mini is not officially condoned, but it is doable.

You sort of have to carefully disassemble a bunch of things once you"re inside.

Then it"s just the typical 2 memory slots.

The hard part was finding the exact spec memory modules

On this same model Mac Mini you can"t upgrade the SSD. It is hardwired motherboard level

I didn"t worry about that since I have all manner of good external SSD

Ok cool, thanks! If I go down the MINI road, I may send a PM and perhaps ask for the brand/model RAM sticks you ended up using, assuming that's ok of course :)

2012 Mac Mini Server here with 2 x 1TB internal SSD's. This machine has always been able to boot headless.

For a screen I use an old iPad Air 1 which is my chart reader at the gig as well. I have Duet Display but chose to use Screens a VNC iPad App because you can actually zoom the screen. Duet may have this now. It's been some years since I used it. Back in the day Duet would not allow for this.

If I know there will be lots of changes at rehearsals I just bring along a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and still use the iPad for screen otherwise for on the fly small changes and saving, the touch screen iPad is enough and you can double click the home button or 4 finger swipe to swap between my charts and the screen sharing. At the gig the only time I need to look at the Mac mini screen is when the gig is over to tell the Mac to shutdown. I've got everything else setup to boot automatically into my MS concert.

One long lightening cable is all the iPad needs for power and screen sharing. In earlier years with this system you had to tether the Mac mini to the iPad 3G to get the network to operate for screen sharing but for some years now this is not necessary either.

One of these days I will get a M1 Mac Mini but I will loose the ability to get that second internal drive which for me would then add up to one USB connection too many. I'm not afraid of running samples and OS from one bigger SSD but the advantage of 2 SSD's is that if one should fail the second drive is cloned for a quick change over and better overall redundancy.

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

I"m using an IPad Pro as a monitor for my MacMini M1 and using Duet. Duet works but only uses about three quarters of the IPad screen unfortunately.

I have the same setup as you (assuming you have a 12.9" iPad Pro latest model and connect it via USB-C) and I see a full screen.

Trying playing with the resolution settings in Duet. I found sometimes you need to change the resolution and then change it back to the original resolution to get it to work.

My IPad Pro is 4 years old. I have tried playing with the resolution settings in Duet and I can see a full screen but I can"t see the dock or any programs, I then switch it back to the original resolution and it goes back to the three quarters of the screen resolution. The developer of Duet says it"s letterboxing and they didn"t have any solution or work around to that. I"ll try playing with the resolution settings again and see if I can get lucky

Still no luck with playing with the resolution settings. I think I will end up getting and using a MacBook as a monitor like David did. I should mention concerning installing RAM into a MacMini is to be sure you have the right tools and the screws are very tiny and easily lost. I watched a friend install the RAM into a MacMini no way I could"ve done it. If you have good mechanical skills yes it can be done

My IPad Pro is 4 years old. I have tried playing with the resolution settings in Duet and I can see a full screen but I can"t see the dock or any programs, I then switch it back to the original resolution and it goes back to the three quarters of the screen resolution. The developer of Duet says it"s letterboxing and they didn"t have any solution or work around to that. I"ll try playing with the resolution settings again and see if I can get lucky

I'll have a look when I have the rig setup over the next week to see if I have anything obvious set. When i first used duet I had the letter boxing and the image wasn't sharp. From memory I went into settings whilst the ipad was being used as the only screen, changed the resolution by clicking one to the right and then went back to the middle one. When the image came back it was full screen and sharp.

Maybe the later pros resolution is different to earlier?

Possibly the two dullest videos on YouTube, but hopefully useful to show what the Mac mini display looks like on a 12.9" 2020(? - the latest one) iPad Pro using Duet. I'm using Apple Magic Mouse to navigate and the iPad Magic Keyboard for the Keyboard (putting password into MainStage as Native Instruments haven't got Kontakt working with Apple Silicon yet)

Mirror Display is checked by default. When I uncheck it and my IPad displays the whole screen. The dock shows but when I click on something it will load but I can"t see anything on the screen. I have to have mirror display checked in order to have it work but it shrinks the screen size to 3 quarters. Thank you for showing these videos

When you say it loads but you can"t see anything, it sounds like it"s displaying on another screen. When you have it set to mirror of course the mini just duplicates one display.

I am sure I had something similar when I first set this up as connected the iPad to a 2014 13' MacBook Pro before the mini arrived. The MacBook aspect ratio is different to the ipad so was giving a letter box view on the ipad. When the mini arrived I then had the iPad connected as the only display and then messed about with the resolutions as per second video and got the result I have now

Just reading your post again it would be worth connecting the iPad as only display, turning off mirror and then checking macOS display settings to see if the mini thinks it has a second display attached. You may also be able to change the macOS display resolution to one that matches the iPad

One big reason I like using my Macbook Pro over my iPad is everything is built in..i.e. keyboard and track pad.

Yes the iPad works, and I used it quite a bit. Yet I did NOT like using a wireless apple Mouse or track pad, and needing to have the separate keyboard, in my stage rig. Then if I wanted to go Wireless DUET (Duet Air) I had to create an ad hoc WiFi on the Mini. Again, it worked, but I wanted more streamlined.....on stage. With my Macbook, I just plug in the Ethernet cable, and I'm good to go.

I actually ended up using my iPad as touch screen controller, but always had my small pencil thin HDMI monitor, as now and then, DUET would not load at startup, even though it is in the startup sequence.

Remember, this is all about what I do on the stage to mitigate issues, and keep the extraneous stuff at a minimum.

David