Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elon Musk on Music at Work

Interesting email to all employees from Elon Musk. What I find interesting is that approval for playing music on the job isn't just something you can do as long as no one notices, but is a corporate policy. That's kinda cool, don't you think?

To: Everybody

Date: Sunday October 3

Subj. Music in the Factory

Just wanted to say that I very much support music in the factory, as well as any little touches that make work more enjoyable.

An associate just sent me a note asking if we could have one ear bud for music so the other ear can listen for safety-related issues. That sounds fine to me.

Also, ambient music from speakers is also totally cool so long as there is reasonable agreement among your colleagues as to the music choices.

If there are other things that you think would improve your day, please let me know. I care very much that you look forward to coming to work every day!

• Like 2

Well, it is a great letter to his employees.

It reminds me of working at Kinko's when the original owners were in place.

They did truly care about each and every employee they had and did their best (given that a work crew is a community with varying preference) to make everybody enjoy working there as possible.

I wonder about Elon sometimes, I also wonder about some of the news stories about him that I read. I'm a hard sale, I consider but validation requires real world feedback of some sort.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I wonder about Elon sometimes, I also wonder about some of the news stories about him that I read. I'm a hard sale, I consider but validation requires real world feedback of some sort.

The most recent real world info I saw was that Consumer Reports rated Tesla toward the bottom of reliability. Oh well, can't afford one anyway :)

Yah...he also seems to have a thing for disabling people's ability to charge their cars at the official charging stations if he doesn't like their TikTok videos...I'm serious.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

My opinion only: A visionary but not a particularly gracious person. His response to Bernie Sanders' 'We must demand that the extremely wealthy pay their fair share. Period.' with 'I keep forgetting that you"re still alive.' is a singularly nasty response. Musk doesn't seem to be a particularly decent person if he disagrees with you.
Play. Just play.

[fill in a name] doesn't seem to be a particularly decent person if he disagrees with you.
Actually seems to be quite common these days.

I just checked, and most online dictionaries now define"civility" as an archaic word, no longer in common use.

• Sad 1

My opinion only: A visionary but not a particularly gracious person. His response to Bernie Sanders' 'We must demand that the extremely wealthy pay their fair share. Period.' with 'I keep forgetting that you"re still alive.' is a singularly nasty response. Musk doesn't seem to be a particularly decent person if he disagrees with you.

Yeah, I think he's an often complex guy who can be a total jerk, but kind and thoughtful at other times.

[fill in a name] doesn't seem to be a particularly decent person if he disagrees with you.
Actually seems to be quite common these days.

I just checked, and most online dictionaries now define"civility" as an archaic word, no longer in common use.

Well, F*ck them!!!! :laugh:

• Haha 2

Yeah, I think he's an often complex guy who can be a total jerk, but kind and thoughtful at other times.

He hosted SNL not long ago and while that's a place where some go to try to redeem themselves, one thing that he revealed that I did not know is that he has Asperger syndrome. This would explain why he has poor social skills.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

...I wonder about Elon sometimes, ....

I was watching Big Bang Theory the other day when he was a guest star. Starting thinking about his accomplishments. He has raised a lot of money and gotten a lot of fame, but his two biggest projects have not yet panned out. The self driving car has proven to be dangerous and rides to outer space have not yet happened. I'm not sure what he has really done. I'm not saying he has not done anything, but that everything the press goes on about is projects that have not come through.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I was watching Big Bang Theory the other day when he was a guest star. Starting thinking about his accomplishments. He has raised a lot of money and gotten a lot of fame, but his two biggest projects have not yet panned out. The self driving car has proven to be dangerous and rides to outer space have not yet happened. I'm not sure what he has really done. I'm not saying he has not done anything, but that everything the press goes on about is projects that have not come through.

Plus, the Boring Company. That hasn't panned out either. I haven't seen any news stories about it, just dropped off the face of the earth. Great idea but hugely expensive to put into place. Trial run should have been from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, that might pay for itself in a reasonable time frame and provide some viability. I think it's done and gone...

Well, SpaceX has gotten a big NASA contract (and was chosen over Bezos' Blue Origin), so that's something.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well, SpaceX has gotten a big NASA contract (and was chosen over Bezos' Blue Origin), so that's something.

RABid, I'm not sure what you mean by "his two biggest projects have not yet panned out"?

SpaceX is currently the U.S.'s primary vehicle now to get astronauts and supplies to and from ISS. I think that's pretty good. Tesla seems to be selling lots of cars.

Are you talking about profitability of either? I have no idea about that.

Bill Gates had a goal of a computer on every desk in every home. Lofty goals are ambitions, but in the meantime what you build up might be what matters. And I see the press talking as much about Tesla's current offerings (and stock price, *ahem*) and SpaceX shuttling astronauts as much if not more than self-driving cars and space rides. It seems Bezos and Branson are more focused on the space rides than Musk at this point. I don't think Musk has given rides to ordinary people, has he? He didn't even go up himself like the other two did.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 months later...
On 11/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, Anderton said:

Interesting email to all employees from Elon Musk. What I find interesting is that approval for playing music on the job isn't just something you can do as long as no one notices, but is a corporate policy. That's kinda cool, don't you think?

To: Everybody

Date: Sunday October 3

Subj. Music in the Factory

Music increases productivity and ingenuity, and plus it creates harmony and teamwork!!!

Music unites!!!

On 11/25/2021 at 7:13 PM, RABid said:

I feel like you're cherry-picking your arguments here. Aside from FSD, Tesla has totally and irreversibly changed the automotive industry. And despite its shortcomings, Spacex has at the very least reignited the American public's interest in and (political) support for space exploration.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Twitter.

I like the idea of free speech. I also like the idea of free food...but not if it's from a dumpster. As soon as you remove all guardrails from social media, it turns to crap. The only reason why things are civil here is that through some miracle, the people themselves are civil.

I'm also tired of people equating "free speech" with "lack of censorship." The 1st amendment relates specifically to laws passed by Congress. A private business can create their own rules for how they want their platform to work. Musicplayer.com has rules, which are basically whatever the moderator thinks is not okay, is not okay. Everything else is fine :)

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 7:13 PM, RABid said:

As she usually does, my dog woke me up early this morning to go out, so I decided to go out with her to watch the launch of the SpaceX Falcon 9 carrying a NRO satellite from Vandenberg. Since dawn had already broken, it was not much of a show - I just saw the exhaust plume go up (even with 12x x 60mm binoculars, that's all I could see), but I was watching the live feed on my iPad at the same time, so I got to see the booster return, too. The very idea of a reusable rocket booster that comes back down and lands like something out of a Sci-Fi movie from the 50s is a pretty amazing engineering achievement IMHO.