Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio gives the CT line a bump

Groove On, I"m curious, why did you not get the Casio BT adapter?

I have the Casio WU-BT10 BT Adapter and with this basic setup it's the cleanest portable rig; I'll post more photos tomorrow. But the CME BT devices arrived recently, and I've been wanting to test their claims of lower latency. The jury is still out on that.

Wouldn't a direct USB cable be best for reducing latency? I'm skeptical of doing any performing with blue tooth midi vs a USB hardwire.

Recent updates to the Bluetooth standard have latency significantly lower - enough so that MI developers are taking advantage of the moment with the latest round of wireless midi products. Is latency going to be higher than cabled? Of course, and more so with distance. Is it low enough to be negligible to you at a distance of your keyboard to the iPad sitting over it? You"ll have to try it out to see if you like how it feels.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Casio australia is shitting me again with their pricing.

They have graciously reduced the price of this from $499 to $449 for this new Black Friday Sale stuff and we obviously dont cellebrate Thanksgiving but if theres a reason to copy someone elses sales Australian commerce will.

Ironically $449 was the street price anyway so how gracious of Casio Australia to give us a cut for Black Friday

This world is giving me the shits ...seriously

Casio australia ⦠have graciously reduced the price of this from $499 to $449 â¦

It"s not just Australia. There"s something odd going on with the price of the CT-S1 around the world. I picked mine up in California for US$200, but my friends in Malaysia and Singapore report that their local price is around US$300++. In the Philippines (where I am traveling right now) - I stopped in at a Casio store and they quoted me the equivalent of US$350 and immediately knocked off US$50 saying it was 'discounted. When I asked why the difference from the US prices the clerks didn"t have any answers.

To deepen the mystery, other older Casiotones and Casio keyboards in the store we"re priced in line or very near US prices.

I suppose you could buy it direct from Casio online, but after shipping and taxes, it might end up the same price.

Here"s the link:

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/casiotone-series/ct-s1

From being a Casio fanboy to really starting to be pissed off with Casio Australia.

But its not just them its all the big brands in Australia reaching far deaper into our antipodean pockets than American pockets.

You know the smaller companies seem to be far more competitively money wise seeking our approval.

If no one says anything to these big brands then theyll keep wringing out our pockets for ever as a silent minority gets walked over. Rise up Australia.

From being a Casio fanboy to really starting to be pissed off with Casio Australia.

Sorry to hear this. I'll do what I can to pass on your frustration. The issue is, there is NOT a "Casio Australia". There is third party distributor there, no direct Casio office or staff.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Seems expected that prices would diverge more in a world with congested ports, right? In normal times it'd be hard to sustain a big price difference because someone could always just ship from the lower-priced region to the higher-priced one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-17/port-gridlock-stretches-supply-lines-thin-in-blow-for-economies

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/11/business/supply-chain-crisis-savannah-port.html

Sorry to hear this. I'll do what I can to pass on your frustration. The issue is, there is NOT a "Casio Australia". There is third party distributor there, no direct Casio office or staff.

Thanks Mike.thats what I figured thats why I always put Australia on the end as i figured it was not Casio proper who distributes same as many other manufacturers. (Trying to show my respct for the mother company) There are too many hands in the pie and it hits the fan when buyers get wind of world prices which the internet age has opened their eyes to. Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s we were in the dark and paid without question. Australia has always been the arse end of the world and still gets treated that way...in moreways than one currently.

I know our market is probably too small for companies to open their own offices here but Australia has been notorious for distributors having a monopoly and skimming too much off the top. And i know there are overheads and all but the difference is eye watering. Not just casio.(all the big boys)

Yes as mentioned people can import so the distributor should be shaking in his seat and keeping prices fair. but self importing is not my way. In fact in theory it should more expensive to self import than buy local. I like to buy local & from a bricks & mortar but that avenue is slowly dieing. So for me if i buy anything it will probably be 2nd hand as new doesnt seem value for money anymore.

We are closer to the manufacturing hub so transport cant be blamed on those extra costs (we should be cheaper per mile travelled for those costs) and hence this transport closeness gives the smaller players a cost advantage like Casio once exhibted in the early days. Casio broke into the market on cost advantage but not now for Aussies.

I mentioned it on this thread ages ago and have done again for if the mother company isnt told of dissent they arent going to look into it if at all they will. Can or will they do anything ..i dont know but at least they know now. I have mentioned this on other sites too. I do this for all aussies and other small nations & not for me as my gigging days may be over but this actual keyboards pricing disparity broke this donkeys back for fairness. Hee haw. i had hoped an 88 version might appear as something i mightve been interested in but if it did id hate to see the aussie price based on this 61 note keyboard

Love Casio products hate the middle men.

Thanks mike for your reply hopefully i can shut up about it now. Oh will that Aussie guy shut the fook up about it.

Copies of this speach can be obtained from the foyer.

I'd get one if it had a pitchwheel. I'm more of a synth player than pianist and a board with brass and synth sounds and no wheel is like having one leg.

SIMPLE solution -- just get the Casio CT-S410, which GuitarCenter has on sale for $199 -- it has the pitch bend wheel, plus...

* 61 full-size keys with touch response, pitch bend wheel and easy-to-use controls

* 600 AiX-powered Tones and 200 full accompaniment Rhythms

* Powerful bass-reflex stereo speaker system with surround effect

* 5-track song recorder

* Strap pins for stand-up play

* Class-compliant USB-MIDI connects to free Chordana Play app

* Optional WU-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI/audio adapter

* Optional 6xAA battery power (AC adapter and music rest included)

I just got one -- but admit I have not unboxed it yet...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I'd get one if it had a pitchwheel. I'm more of a synth player than pianist and a board with brass and synth sounds and no wheel is like having one leg.

SIMPLE solution -- just get the Casio CT-S410, which GuitarCenter has on sale for $199 -- it has the pitch bend wheel, plus........

I just got one -- but admit I have not unboxed it yet...

Old No7

Initial impressions of the Casio CT-S410 after unboxing and playing it for maybe 20 minutes...

WOW! Very impressed with the tones, effects and features. They keys have more expression/sensitivity than I'd expected.

Definitely will need to do a deep-dive and review of some of the youtube videos on this board to unlock all of its secrets. This will be just what I need for vacation travel, playing out on the back deck -- or even out on my boat!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a CT-S400, primarily for use in a teaching studio as a secondary keyboard for playing examples during lessons. Also wanted something simple for Logic Pro X control, as a couple of students study composition.

Wow...I can also see several instances where this could be a practical, small setup gigging tool. The sounds are very strong.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 2 weeks later...
What gig bag fits the S1 ?

it's tight, but this fits:

Yes, I got that bag for my S1. The only caution is that it's very recognizable to some people as a rifle bag so you have to be careful carrying it into a venue or your motel room. People are understandably uneasy about someone carrying a rifle. I use an old Nord electro 2 bag for my S1 now.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Yes, I got that bag for my S1. The only caution is that it's very recognizable to some people as a rifle bag so you have to be careful carrying it into a venue or your motel room. People are understandably uneasy about someone carrying a rifle. I use an old Nord electro 2 bag for my S1 now.

yup. i got that one on your recommendation ;) btw, you have any insight on the chordana/ct-s1 question couple posts upthread?

I picked up that bag, as well. The point above made me think though. Other than my large, 88-key instrument cases, the ones in which I carry my Stage 3, 76 and Nautilus 61 coud also be mistaken for rifle cases. Looks like I'll be checking in with motel staff about both instruments when traveling for gigs.

Strange story: A drummer I knew in CO was loading in for a country gig; in the middle of setting up, a serious contingent of law enforcement showed up. Turns out that a bar patron saw him carrying in a mic stand and thought it was a shotgun...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

yup. i got that one on your recommendation ;) btw, you have any insight on the chordana/ct-s1 question couple posts upthread?
Sorry, no. I don't use the Chordana app. But if somebody does use it and says you can control the S1 with it, I'll do that. That's the one complaint I have about my S1 -- I can't see or remember where the different patches are and which key to press to get octave up or down or transpose. If I could do those things from the app, I'd give it a try.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

A drummer I knew in CO was loading in for a country gig; in the middle of setting up a serious contingent of law enforcement showed up. Turns out that a bar patron saw him carrying in a mic stand and thought it was a shotgun...
That's a bit of a stretch, mic stand = shotgun. If that happened frequently, a whole bunch of us would be in jail ... or at least detained for questioning. :cool:

I got this smaller padded rifle case for my EWI Solo wind synth. I thought I was so smart for finding it and it was cheap. What I didn't think about at the time is that apparently some people immediately recognize it as a rifle case. I picked it up and started to unzip it to take the EWI out and a person was certain I was taking out a rifle.

2576.thumb.jpg.99d180a9a7c01e34013817b0657e0348.jpg

2577.thumb.jpg.be47e0cac171754c0a43424bea646db4.jpg

What I didn't think about at the time is that apparently some people immediately recognize it as a rifle case.

I picked it up and started to unzip it to take the EWI out and a person was certain I was taking out a rifle....

What's funny (to me) about all this, is my twin who lives in a gun-unfriendly blue state, carries his 1700's and 1800's blackpowder muzzleloading rifles out of the house in hollowed-out bass guitar cases. His neighbors think he's a musician, when he's really into historical reenactment or "living history" (which my daughter calls "adult dress up"...).

Back to this thread -- I returned the CT-S410 that I'd gotten (per my recent posting), as I'll upgrading (in my opinion) to get a Yamaha EW-310 to get the larger 76-key keyboard.

Old No7

my twin who lives in a gun-unfriendly blue state, carries his 1700's and 1800's blackpowder muzzleloading rifles out of the house in hollowed-out bass guitar cases. His neighbors think he's a musician, when he's really into historical reenactment or "living history"
Without getting into the politics - why does historical reenactment require live firearms? Wouldn't recreations/lookalikes be sufficient? (Just surprised, that's all).

Cheers, Mike.

Without getting into the politics - why does historical reenactment require live firearms? Wouldn't recreations/lookalikes be sufficient? (Just surprised, that's all).

Cheers, Mike.

Not a reenactor myself, but from what I know historical accuracy is prized above all else. The loading and firing ritual in those single shots is very involved and a big part of the "battle."

Moe

---

Allen Company makes a really nice soft side case for under $40

My singer uses a Plano Company hard sided (plastic like Gator) case with foam to carry a bunch of stuff. Around $40

Both are designed for AR-15 The Plano Case is rectangular, so looks like a guitar case They also make shorter ones

I have both of the above : one for Music, One for other things.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Sorry for the thread drift... The mods can delete my posts if they wish, but to answer this...

Cheers, Mike.

Not a reenactor myself, but from what I know historical accuracy is prized above all else. The loading and firing ritual in those single shots is very involved and a big part of the "battle."

Correct, and the majority of participants start with an interest in the firearms and the formal/informal target shooting competitions first; and then get into all the the gear, clothing, history and reenacting as a way to extend the hobby. My twin is a much better woodsman than I am, as he and a small group setup an authentic 1750s to 1800s camp each winter to hunt for food (whitetail deer) and all of the gear -- shooting, clothing, tents, fire-making, cooking, sleeping etc. -- must be from that period. They'll spend 3 to 5 days encamped, with only 2 cell phones (1 as a backup) to take some photos and get help in an emergency situation. While in camp, those phones and car keys are always hidden away, and the only other concessions to modern life are any daily meds they may need or any obligatory hunter orange colors. I hiked in to visit them one winter, and it was like stepping through a time portal -- and it was sub-zero weather with 4" of snow on the ground -- yet they not only survived, they thrived in that situation. They do it every year, in any weather.

Old No7

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased the CT-S1 and I am very impressed. I use it for informal "jam sessions" in the back yard with friends.
Does anyone have any recommended / favorite layered tones? What 2 tones do you layer? Do you adjust the volume of either tone? Do you transpose the octave of either tone?

• 3 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 7:10 AM, Old No7 said:

Initial impressions of the Casio CT-S410 after unboxing and playing it for maybe 20 minutes...

WOW! Very impressed with the tones, effects and features. They keys have more expression/sensitivity than I'd expected.

Definitely will need to do a deep-dive and review of some of the youtube videos on this board to unlock all of its secrets. This will be just what I need for vacation travel, playing out on the back deck -- or even out on my boat!

Old No7

Hello I just got a 410 and found this comment through search. Did you end up posting videos? If so, would love to see them. Thanks!