Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

note goes out of tune on digital piano?

The D note, up and down the keyboard, has gone badly flat on my Casio PX-S1000. Has anybody else had this problem on this or any other digital keyboard? Is there a fix? Factory reset? Blow the dust out? I'm at a loss. I have at least 6 keyboards and none has ever had this problem. The S1000 is at my grandson's house so it's not easy for me to get there and tinker with it. I was playing it at Thanksgiving and noticed that all the D's were very flat. It renders the keyboard unusable -- unless you can play something that never requires a D in any register. What went wrong? How do you fix it?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed in one patch on my roland DS that the highest D is out of tune with the rest of the D's and all the other notes in the patch but the other D's are in tune. As far as I know that's the only patch that has the problem and it's a very chorused piano sound I probably wouldn't use.

Different from your problem but not entirely off topic.

FunMachine.

Thank you for your comments. As I said to Brad Saucier on the Casio forum, the 1000 is at my grandson's house, an hour away, so I can't get at it readily. But you've given me some things to do when I can get there -- check temperament setting, check different patches, factory reset. When one of the keys on my 3000 started sounding strange, the way I fixed it was to shake the keyboard gently. I'll try that too, after the others.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Most likely the Temperament has been changed.

Press and Hold the Function button and press the G1 key (the lowest G on the keyboard).

It is likely you also have Auto Resume turned on which is why this setting was stored.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Good catch Mike & Mike. I never would have thought of the temperament thing. Just for fun* I downloaded the Privia PX-S1000 User's Guide and not only did it have a section describing the feature (and the 17! possible temperaments), there was also a troubleshooting section that called this out as a possible cause for "The pitch of the Digital Piano is off". Pretty good documentation.

*I must be extra bored at work today.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Wasn"t that one of the 'reality' features added to the Nord piano, where the piano would gradually go out of tune of tune like a real acoustic?
Yes, and you have to pay a tech to tune it every so often. Also, the rotary speaker on the organ stops turning. Needs a new digital belt. They're on back order. Supply chain issues.