Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

Man, that was a close call!

Rasul Douglas's interception with 12 seconds left saved the day for Green Bay, who won 24-21 against the only undefeated team in the NFL, the Arizona Cardinals. It was the first big test of the season for the Packers, and they played well.

Randall Cobb was really clutch, scoring two touchdowns while Davante Adams and Allen Lazard were out on the COVID-19 list. I'm so glad Cobb is a Packer again!

It was a tough night for injuries, with both teams losing several players. Kyler Murray walked off the field with a limp at the end of the game.

To end on a positive note (at least as far as I'm concerned), the Cardinals' loss benefitted the Rams, who would be tied with them for first place if they can win over the Texans this Sunday.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Jets started "Mike White" at quarterback today. He is 26, and as of 10 days ago he had 0 yards passing in his NFL career.

He got 202 yards passing against New England last week after the Jets' starter last week got injured.

Today Mike White passed for 405 yards in leading the Jets to a win against the Cincinnati Bengals.

I imagine he is feeling pretty good right now.

I was too busy to comment on this the other day; but as a Rams and Broncos fan, I'd like to share my reactions:

Von Miller lands with Rams after Broncos trade

The Broncos fan in me is disappointed. After a promising 3-0 start, it appears that Denver is ready to give up on this season at the midway point. Now 4-4 and clearly mediocre, I can't say I blame them for taking LA's 2022 second and third round picks in exchange for their defensive star; but I'm unhappy to see them give up on the year, even though it makes sense after a 1-4 streak. Hope now lies in the future rather than in the present.

As a Rams fan, though, I'm really excited at the promise of what lies ahead. It sure looks like this will be LA's best defense since the Fearsome Foursome days. Aaron Donald is far less likely to be double-teamed once Von Miller joins him on the line. And let's not forget the threat that is Jalen Ramsey. This D is going to terrify quarterbacks.

I feel like the LA Rams are returning to their roots from the old days in Los Angeles. With each passing year, they become less of a transplant and more of a home-grown club.

Best,

Geoff

It will be interesting to see if OBJ lands with a playoff caliber team.

It's being reported the Raiders could use OBJ's services especially since they just cut WR Henry Ruggs.

Bummer that QB Mike White got injured last night but QB Josh Johnson played well all things considered.

Either the Colts running game is impressive or the Jets run defense is horrible.

The Jets head coach was a defensive coordinator with the 49ers.

So, it really doesn't make sense that the Jets gave up 45 points so easily. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well, despite losing Von Miller, Denver blew away Dallas today on the road. It was a joy to see!

In contrast, Jordan Love looked every bit like a quarterback getting his first start today. Green Bay's receivers saved him from getting picks on multiple occasions, and the Packers' defense did a pretty good job of holding the Chiefs in check in Arrowhead; but it wasn't enough to make up for a quarterback who put the green in Green Bay. I believe he'll grow into the job once it's his for good, but will he become an elite quarterback? That's the big question.

It's too bad that Von Miller hasn't recovered enough from his ankle injury to join the Rams on the field tonight against the Titans, but it should still be a good game.

Best,

Geoff

My question is, what's the deal with Rogers? Apparently he is setting himself up as the VICTIM and is not using his head. So is he a CRY BABY?

The NFL is for Adults, not Cry Babies.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It's too bad that Von Miller hasn't recovered enough from his ankle injury to join the Rams on the field tonight against the Titans, but it should still be a good game.

It turned out to be a great game without Von Miller ⦠if you"re a Titans fan (or a fan of defense). It was Tennessee"s defense that put on a clinic tonight, essentially providing 14 points, which led to the Titans" victory.

Meccajay must be smiling.

Best,

Geoff

I understand your frustration with Rodgers, Mike. Unfortunately, great football players aren"t always the kind of people we"d like them to be off the field.
The same can be said about some of our musical heroes. No names, you know who they are.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I was at the Sunday Night game last night. :cool:

The whole thing came down to those two back to back TDs. Game was basically over after that. :idk:

That was my second time at SoFi (I saw the AZ game as well), and the second time that I observed that there were pretty much as many of the other teams fans as there were Rams fans.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That was my second time at SoFi (I saw the AZ game as well), and the second time that I observed that there were pretty much as many of the other teams fans as there were Rams fans.

That was my experience, too, back when I regularly attended Rams games in Anaheim. I guess it's not surprising, considering how many people in the LA area are from somewhere else. For example, neither of us grew up in California.

I wouldn't be surprised if LA had more than its share of people from Nashville too, considering the record industry in both places.

And of course, Arizonans don't have to live in California to attend games. Phoenix and San Francisco are roughly equidistant from SoFi Stadium: about a half-dozen driving hours, plus any stops along the way.

Best,

Geoff

The Bears battled three opponents: The Steelers, the refs, and their own stupid penalties/mistakes.

The Bears battled three opponents: The Steelers, the refs, and their own stupid penalties/mistakes.

Agreed. It had to be a painful game to watch from the perspective of a Bears fan.

Bears rookie QB Justin Fields was being battered far worse than veteran QBs who immediately draw 15 yard penalty flags.

But, I do believe Fields is tough and he will be a very good QB for the Bears once he completely understands the pro level game.

Big Ben is beginning to look like an old man out there. He seems one hit away from being on the sidelines. His arm definitely isn't the same canon.

As a boxing fan, it's easier to see when an athlete should give it up. Football is different because they wear more equipment and it's a team sport.

I wouldn't be surprised if Big Ben calls it a career after this season. Unfortunately, the Steelers do not have a franchise QB waiting in the wings. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It's super frustrating to be a Bears fan, and in some ways, it's easier to watch them get blown out than it does to watch them get screwed by refs and shoot themselves in their own foot.

I rarely complain about refereeing, but this was so unbelievably wrong and one-sided and game-altering that it borders on willful negligence.

And the Bears are so horribly undisciplined, it's almost as if they design their mistakes and penalties to have maximum negative impact.

Still, Fields looks like he will be a very good, possibly great QB someday. He's smart, got a lot of talent and athleticism, and seems to be doggedly determined to be as great as possible.

And the Bears are so horribly undisciplined, it's almost as if they design their mistakes and penalties to have maximum negative impact.

Still, Fields looks like he will be a very good, possibly great QB someday. He's smart, got a lot of talent and athleticism, and seems to be doggedly determined to be as great as possible.

While some folks believe the problem lies with Bears ownership, I still think head coach Nagy is the bigger problem.

Nagy might be a decent position coach or maybe even a coordinator but he does not appear to have a firm grasp on the reins.

Again, I just hope the current head coach isn't allowed to ruin a potential franchise QB. :cool:

PD

It's super frustrating to be a Bears fan, and in some ways, it's easier to watch them get blown out than it does to watch them get screwed by refs and shoot themselves in their own foot.

I rarely complain about refereeing, but this was so unbelievably wrong and one-sided and game-altering that it borders on willful negligence.

The Bears beat themselves. Even the Play by Play announcers from Chicago said "Experienced players should not be lining up in the Neutral Zone, its inexcusable" The number of flags that Chicago got was lopsided, I have to agree. But I don't know that the Ref's were in the back pocket of the Steelers either. The one call I didn't get is why that former Steelers player was flagged for Taunting. Number 59 Marsh. I think that call was a stretch, Its a violent game, and players can't always control their emotions, but sometime the Refs make calls that interfere with the game. That was one,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think that call was a stretch, Its a violent game, and players can't always control their emotions, but sometime the Refs make calls that interfere with the game.

While I do understand the idea of wanting to make football a safer sport, there are way too many ticky tack penalties.

Taunting is a BS penalty. Players should be allowed to talk trash within reason. It should motivate and encourage one to play better.

IMO, the extreme to which they are going with penalties to protect the QB is on the borderline of flag (no pun intended) football.

The worst part of it is the inconsistency with which flags are thrown. it's not right for certain players to get favorable calls or penalites. :cool:

PD

The NFL goes too far in a lot of ways that do not help the game. They want to take the emotion out of the game, all in the name of preventing fights on the field, Some of the Calls for TOUCHING the QB are pure BS. The game pays QBs a lot of money and as we have disgused a Franchise QB is hard to come by.

Refs should not change the out come of games,

Mike T.

The Bears beat themselves. Even the Play by Play announcers from Chicago said "Experienced players should not be lining up in the Neutral Zone, its inexcusable" The number of flags that Chicago got was lopsided, I have to agree. But I don't know that the Ref's were in the back pocket of the Steelers either. The one call I didn't get is why that former Steelers player was flagged for Taunting. Number 59 Marsh. I think that call was a stretch, Its a violent game, and players can't always control their emotions, but sometime the Refs make calls that interfere with the game. That was one,

Mike T.

Yeah. As I said above: "The Bears battled three opponents: The Steelers, the refs, and their own stupid penalties/mistakes."

By themselves, the refs torpedoed their game. And the Bears torpedoed their game. They're such a frustrating team to watch if you are rooting for them.

And I agree with the general premise of the refs making calls that interfere with the game, and as said a bit later, attempting to take the emotion out of it.

In an odd way, if people really wanted to lessen head injuries, you could have them go back to wearing leather helmets. :D Failing that, have them all dress like the Michelin Man.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught the highlights for the Chargers-Steelers game, which led to watching condensed game videos on Youtube.

I learned "Chargering" is a thing - a reference to a certain team's habit of blowing leads in the 4th quarter, used by folks at ESPN, CBS, and other networks covering NFL news. This wasn't a Chargering game but that insane 4th quarter was entertaining as all get out.

I have to admit, with all due respect to Philip Rivers, the Chargers are more fun to watch in general with QB Justin Herbert. First NFL QB to throw 350 yds and rush 90 yds.

On a another note, Washington kinda looks like Alabama Crimson Tide with the reddish numbered helmets. Congrats to ProfD on upsetting Carolina. Hope they decide on a new name soon.

Quite a few media folks talking about the Steeler's Heyward appearing to punch Herbert in the gut.

At this point, I'm not a fan of any particular team, but I'm inclined to believe Heyward actually. Having watched UFC and other MMA fights, I know what a punch to a guy lying on the ground looks like. To me he really does look like he fell forward and just happened to drop his hand on Herb's tummy. Also, Herb said he doesn't even remember being punched.

Chargers later got away with elbow shots to the mug and other acts of unnecessary roughness that weren't called.

WFT seems to be on a roll having won their last 2 game. Bittersweet having lost DE Chase Young for the season.

QB Cam Newton seems to have a bit left in the tank. It will be interesting to see what Carolina does about their QB position. I don't believe they're all in on QB Sam Darnold.

Otherwise, as I've mentioned before, totally digging the league parity. Harder to predict which teams will win and which players will light it up.:cool:

PD

The Lions totally mismanaged the clock in the last 3 minutws of the game and as a result remain winless. They might win one game this season.

The Bears may have saved their head coach's job for another week or so. I still do not believe he's the guy to move that team forward.

I had hoped the Raiders would have won by a wider margin. Cowbums losing was enough to make my Thanksgiving complete. :D

I'd imagine the Saints wished Drew Brees would have come down from the booth and suited up to help their anemic offense. It doesn't help that they are short-handed at other key positions too.

Overall, the Thanksgiving Day games were entertaining. I enjoyed them along with my holiday feast. :cool:

PD

The Patriots are once again the class of the AFC. Whatever people may say about Belichick the human being, nobody matches Belichick the coach and staff in preparing their team, week to week. They're doing a great job developing Mac Jones.

Congrats to Geoff on the Broncos staying alive in the AFCW race by beating the Chargers. A very well coached team that's a dark horse - no pun intended - in this race. The Chargers aren't my team anymore but I do enjoy watching Justin Herbert. Hopefully he'll stay healthy long enough so if and when he finally gets the help he needs on defense and probably other areas, he'll be, well, healthy enough to do something with it.