Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

U use a 12.9" or 11" iPad to read music?

I have an iPad2. It still functions for sheet music, transcriptions, listening to tunes. My cheapness inclination is the 10.2" with 64GB. It's $329 for a new one.

I am wondering if anyone owns the larger screens iPad and uses them for reading charts. the 12.9" and 11" cost so much more, just wondering if it is worth it?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends largely on how good your eyes are, and how far away the iPad will need to be placed.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think it depends largely on how good your eyes are, and how far away the iPad will need to be placed.

With readers it works except really difficult first time reads. I was thinking a 12.9" could read show two pages landscape. This is probably the only reason I would consider it, unless someone chimes in on with other benefits of larger screens. The price IMHO is too high for gigs although if you do music production and artwork, etc. I could see the benefit.

The big selling point for me now is the new 10.2" is 64GB. I thought 32GB was too small but 128GB was too much.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

for chart reading? get as big as you can afford...I used to struggle with the 10", with the larger screen much better! I run all my charts in portrait. You can even set timer (particularly in ONSong) for the app to turn pages. It just needs a media file, (well it used to it might be different now??) But easy enough to make a dummy one to run the time it takes to play the piece.

I am experimenting with that with Unrealbook (my chart reader) and the function is still in beta, IE doesn't work very well haha!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Hi, I do wear glasses and reading detailed piano music, not lead sheets or chord changes, but Treble + Bass Clef on less than the 10.5" models sucks and has me squinting, especially if I practice or perform for a few hours straight. Eye strain. Awful.

I do old school church gigs with a 10.5", it's fine. A 12.9" iPad Pro is bloody $$$. I've been thinking about picking up one from a generation or 2 back to use just as a reader with forscore. I get a lot of calls for jobs with strings, in every case they have used an iPad with forscore and just airdrop me the material for the night when we meet up, done. So picking up a Samsung or a MS Surface with larger screen for less dough is tempting, but not ideal.

ipad_screen_sizes.png

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I tested out a 12.9" for awhile. It was decent for reading sheet music but the two-up display is still a little small for my taste, so I only used it in single-page mode. At the same time, it was physically too big to be really portable; and awkward to hand hold for long periods. More often than not, I found myself leaving it behind or just not using it. Switched to the 10.2" and I'm much happier with the size; it's good enough for single-page mode on a gig.

For the house, I re-purposed a 1st gen. iPad Air (9.7") and an old gaming monitor (27") as a "sheet music docking station". This is my preferred way to work with sheet music, the two-up display is much better than the 12.9".

HDMI dongle was around US$40; old iPad Air is running ForScore; old beater iPhone is running sound modules and backing tracks.

IMG-0630.jpg

Hi, I do wear glasses and reading detailed piano music, not lead sheets or chord changes, but Treble + Bass Clef on less than the 10.5" models sucks and has me squinting, especially if I practice or perform for a few hours straight. Eye strain. Awful.

I do old school church gigs with a 10.5", it's fine. A 12.9" iPad Pro is bloody $$$. I've been thinking about picking up one from a generation or 2 back to use just as a reader with forscore. I get a lot of calls for jobs with strings, in every case they have used an iPad with forscore and just airdrop me the material for the night when we meet up, done. So picking up a Samsung or a MS Surface with larger screen for less dough is tempting, but not ideal.

ipad_screen_sizes.png

\

FWIW Elmer, I still use the 1st gen iPad pro 12" it reads charts fine! And price wise, down here they go for about $350 (about 225 in yours)

I've only just retired it from audio duties replacing it with an iPad Mini Gen 5.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I tested out a 12.9" for awhile. It was decent for reading sheet music but the two-up display is still a little small for my taste, so I only used it in single-page mode. At the same time, it was physically too big to be really portable; and awkward to hand hold for long periods.

Yes, the 12.9 is typically the wrong choice for hand held and carry-it-with-you kind of portability. For that, the ones around 10" are better, and Mini is often best. For music apps, I like the 12.9, I don't need hand-held for something I will be using while my hands are playing keyboards, I don't need to carry it around, but only set it up at its destination, where it is still one of the lightest things I bring. The sizes really do fill different needs. If you can afford it, arguably, the best is to get a 12.9 and a Mini. If you want only one, get one around 10" which is best for neither set of needs, but the best compromise for trying to do it all reasonably well from one unit. That's my take on it, anyway.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"ve used my 2018 iPad Pro 11' for 3 years as my primary for reading scores while I play. It"s suspended above my boards in a K&M iPad mount attached to a mic stand.

It has worked extremely well, though I find myself longing for the 12.9' model, and I will purchase that at some point.

The 11' is just sightly too small for a full page of sheet music in portrait mode.

Go with the 12.9' version.

2491.thumb.jpg.ce22690f061e581db4f64dbc79316770.jpg

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

I got an old gen1 ipad 12,9 used and it's ideal to read parts. But also to run in parallel my VST's within AUS, as it has 4 gigs of RAM. It was 390 euros and i admit it's not cheap, but i does many things fast and it's reliable and you can read everything on it.

If you can find one on the cheap side grab it...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Anyone know how long Apple support iPad Pros with OS updates and what it costs to replace a battery?

Google says the 12.9' first gen is supported by iOS 15. So one can expect 5-6 or more years of iOS updates from Apple.

Out of warranty battery replacement is about $99 + tax.

Anyone know how long Apple support iPad Pros with OS updates and what it costs to replace a battery?

I have a 12.9" Pro bought in second semester 2015 that still updates normally (discontinued in early 2017). I think it was the 1st generation pro. Just to give you an indication. Curious what additional information folks have.

I've never had to replace an IPad battery. I have an old ipad (2011) that I still use as a module. (Still has an iOS version of Alchemy that got discontinued!). My charging frequency is typically 1-2x a week for my devices, but this one admittedly less. Useless as a a general use device, but still runs the soft synths fine.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I appreciate the stories. I checked Craigslist. a 12.9 was selling around $900. There was an 11" for like $700. So far $329 for 10.2" new, is the way for me. If I know what songs will be played, I'll just make paper copies of two-pagers and/or hard material, which really doesn't apply to who/what gigs I might get. It's the old musician story, buy $5000 worth of equipment for a $75 gig.

I use a 10.2 inch ipad with forscore, and scan my own handwritten charts and notes into it. Mostly just to get me started on any given song, especially if it has a keyboard intro. I rarely find myself needing to actually stare at the ipad. Looks bad from an audience point of view also.

10.2 seems to be just the right size for me. Big enough to read, but not so big to feel like it"s distracting from the presentation.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I appreciate the stories. I checked Craigslist. a 12.9 was selling around $900. There was an 11" for like $700. So far $329 for 10.2" new, is the way for me. If I know what songs will be played, I'll just make paper copies of two-pagers and/or hard material, which really doesn't apply to who/what gigs I might get. It's the old musician story, buy $5000 worth of equipment for a $75 gig.

It's actually a terrible time to buy used tech, just as music equipment, as both are in short supply and pricey.

However, Swappa and Gazelle I have found to be far better for used stuff than CL. When they have them (which nether do at my most recent check), a first gen 12.9" pro starts around $350. That's what I recently got, and I'm never going back to a smaller one. Like televisions, it seems large at first but gradually you become accustomed to the larger size and very quickly it seems normal.

It's actually a terrible time to buy used tech, just as music equipment, as both are in short supply and pricey.

However, Swappa and Gazelle I have found to be far better for used stuff than CL. When they have them (which nether do at my most recent check), a first gen 12.9" pro starts around $350. That's what I recently got, and I'm never going back to a smaller one. Like televisions, it seems large at first but gradually you become accustomed to the larger size and very quickly it seems normal.

Thanks, I found the site. $350 for 12.9" is temping. I'm fine with a 2015. The OS should be fine for the music programs I use.

I think it mainly depends on what type of charts you need to see.

I'm still using my 2018 Ipad pro 10.5 for 90% of my gigs. My eyes have gotten so accustomed to the smaller frame, that the 12" (and even paper scores) sometimes actually throws me off when I use it. For detailed or simple Rhythm charts I find the 10 is easier to place on a tablet holder or Organ and I prefer it. But I also deal with lots of gigs where the music was badly scanned into PDF, it's a conventional score, or hairy sheet music - and in those cases the 12" works better.

In a given week I'm using: Forscore, Music Stand (from planning center), Igigbook, and Paperless Music apps. Each will let you pinch and zoom as needed. With the exception of Igigbook, most don't need a ton of horsepower to view PDFs so if you go with an older 12 it'll be fine. That said, when I've done some concert stuff that contains 20 plus pages any of them will get a little slow turning pages.

Slightly off topic: I was prescribed transitional glasses which completely throw me off trying to play piano and organ... and sometimes walking :) I told my Eye Doc I preferred using off the shelf 2.25 reading glasses for my 10.5 Ipad. He was able to create an order that was "task oriented" to accommodate my stigmatism etc. These are now my "gig glasses". Found a ton of custom cheapo glasses places online (Eyebuy direct, Zenni) for less than $15.00 who were able to fill that prescription.

As a long time Ipad user, I recommend the first accessory you buy is an aftermarket 10ft right-angle charging cable in black. Unless you're doing a 3 song set, always keep it plugged in.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I think it mainly depends on what type of charts you need to see.

I'm still using my 2018 Ipad pro 10.5 for 90% of my gigs. My eyes have gotten so accustomed to the smaller frame, that the 12" (and even paper scores) sometimes actually throws me off when I use it. For detailed or simple Rhythm charts I find the 10 is easier to place on a tablet holder or Organ and I prefer it. But I also deal with lots of gigs where the music was badly scanned into PDF, it's a conventional score, or hairy sheet music - and in those cases the 12" works better.

In a given week I'm using: Forscore, Music Stand (from planning center), Igigbook, and Paperless Music apps. Each will let you pinch and zoom as needed. With the exception of Igigbook, most don't need a ton of horsepower to view PDFs so if you go with an older 12 it'll be fine. That said, when I've done some concert stuff that contains 20 plus pages any of them will get a little slow turning pages.

Slightly off topic: I was prescribed transitional glasses which completely throw me off trying to play piano and organ... and sometimes walking :) I told my Eye Doc I preferred using off the shelf 2.25 reading glasses for my 10.5 Ipad. He was able to create an order that was "task oriented" to accommodate my stigmatism etc. These are now my "gig glasses". Found a ton of custom cheapo glasses places online (Eyebuy direct, Zenni) for less than $15.00 who were able to fill that prescription.

As a long time Ipad user, I recommend the first accessory you buy is an aftermarket 10ft right-angle charging cable in black. Unless you're doing a 3 song set, always keep it plugged in.

I don"t find the transitional glasses (I also was offered and tried a pair) all that helpful or effective for piano playing). Going back and forth at the speed we do, it"s just distracting to refocus. So I prefer just a pair to get the music looking sharp and don"t bother to look at the keyboard much at all.

the 10 is easier to place on a tablet holder or Organ

Yes... your available placement options can also affect what will work best for you. Some boards have enough room for a mini, fewer a 9.7, fewer still for a 12.9.

For boards that are tight on space for anything, or where the angle doesn't work well, I use this Satechi style of stand which I can manage to place/attach on lots of boards that have minimum extra space on them...

and this cheap "Amazon Basics" one looks like it could work pretty well, though I haven't used that one myself

and then most recently, I found this KDD model that I really like a lot - Assuming your stand has someplace you can attach its C-clamp, it has the potential to possibly let you get any size tablet anywhere you want it, regardless of the keyboard(s) you're using. You can attach it to the stand at some point "under" your keyboard, and the arm is long enough to let it come out and up and back over the board.

I use that Amazon basics stand a bunch: very sturdy, easy to maneuver and pack. I also keep this super cheap and easy to fly with stand in my gig bags : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TU5KMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1. I do a lot of gigs that use an upright piano shell with my Nord inside, and/or B3 without the music rack, and both of these have been a lifesaver. For the rest I use a mic stand mount holder, but that KDD thing looks very promising for something i could mount to my mixer rack.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I like this type of iPad holder mainly because I can mount it on a standard light stand with a tripod base which is very convenient to setup on stage. While there"s always the danger of tipping it over, a good pro light stand at the height of a keyboard is very stable. The 1st one has metal ball head for angling the iPad and both have additional center mount for better balance.

iPad Tripod Mount #1

https://www.amazon.com/Tripod-Adapter-Holder-Compatible-Surface/dp/B08Z7Z7QZ3/

iPad Tripod Mount #2 (ball mount adapter is a separate purchase)

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Universal-Adapter-Bracket-Surface/dp/B08PJVN8LX/