Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - YouTube makes "dislike private"

I am just learning about YouTube's decision to make Dislike option private. This way creators can still monitor dislikes. I like it. I watch a lot of content, none of which is based on likes/dislikes. I can understand finding dislikes with political and other polarizing topics. But if people are disliking just to be rude or have an agender then they should write and comment and expose their email. Dislikes shouldn't embolden negative people's intentions.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a good idea. I see dislikes on live streams before the streams have even started. Trolls automatically dislike because the it not their music or a big range of subjects. All part of the internet turning everyone into 800 pound gorillas behind a keyboard or before that a telephone. Amazing how difference people are when they don't have to look in the eye.

Welcome to the 21st century. Can publicize the likes but not publicize the dislikes. All about being positive; after all, we don't want to offend anybody ... :cop: That's why last place gets a trophy; that's why no one works long term or has company loyalty, if they don't get an immediate reward/promotion they move to the next company. I can go on and on, but I won't.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It might be someone have misunderstood the dislike button.

On some streaming music services you will get a lot off random music they think you will like, based on your last played song. By using the like or dislike button, you will narrow your music taste and preferences by some built in algorithms, so the streaming service will feed you with music suggestions based on that.

So, it might be some folks have thought YouTube worked the same way ?

I think the way YouTube"s algorithm are based more on how long do you watch a video, connected with Google search and Facebook use / interest"s.

No matter what, they will fool you :freak:

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Welcome to the 21st century. Can publicize the likes but not publicize the dislikes. All about being positive; after all, we don't want to offend anybody ... :cop: That's why last place gets a trophy; that's why no one works long term or has company loyalty, if they don't get an immediate reward/promotion they move to the next company. I can go on and on, but I won't.

Sorry, Dave, it's not about this at all. Like the posts above yours stated, it's because people were clicking dislike just to be jerks. The creators can still see the dislikes and decide if they mean anything or not. If the internet weren't filled with trolls, disliking might mean something.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

TBH, I used the dislikes as a quick filter as to whether the video I just called up was going to be worthwhile watching. Especially when it comes to music instruction or gear review.

In my experience, any video where the dislikes represented more than 20% of the total ratings proved to be factually incorrect, have technically poor video or sound quality, or didn"t address the content advertised in the title.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I'm not sure what role the "Dislike" option really plays other than trolling. I think it was an adaptation of the "Upvote/Downvote" thing from Reddit, but over time youtube has evolved to be much more like a social media site than a content browser, even if the underlying commodity is content. In that sense, the more direct option would be either to "like" or heart something, as on Instagram, or do nothing--that is, only upvote, where the lack of upvotes IS a downvote.

A middle ground might be to enable dislikes for commercially managed feeds and not for an individual's content.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I still prefer the old rating system. But, here are a few reasons I will toss a dislike onto a video.

During the review of a children's toy the reviewer drops the F bomb. This happens surprisingly often. I think some people may not even realize they are doing it. They get in a hurry, want to throw up an Amazon affiliate link, and don't think about the audience they are drawing.

The title does not match the content of the video. Sometimes it is pure click bate. Sometimes they quicky get off track and never get back on.

"Honest review" turns out to be nothing but marketing. I know of two yo-yo reviewers that have really been called out on the forums. Everything they review is great, and they only review what is sent to them for free. One of them has "Honest review" in his YouTube name and he has never given a yo-yo anything but a glowing review.

Last of all, I don't mind people who mention their Patreon account or notify me that the links in the description are affiliate links, but if they spend too much time begging me to donate, asking me to sign up for $5 a month, pushing their affiliate links, etc... ... ... ...

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Eh, I have an aversion to hitting either like or dislike. As it is I am off almost all social media other than a few forums and some youtube stuff, and if I like something I'll just comment. If I dislike it I'll just stop watching and ignore that person.

My work does this crap on slack too and I just don't do it. You definitely can tell the brown nosers from all the emotes they give especially to the boss posts. Guess that makes me oscar sitting in his trash can yelling at kids playing on his stoop.

I can see why they removed it. Too many internet trolls who like to be tough and contrarian and crap on everything from the safety of their parents' basement.

I'm not sure what problem you guys think is solved or improved by turning off the public view of dislikes that any creator can still see on their end.

This is the most blatant attempt imaginable to kiss the ass of corporations and politicians who are tired of getting ratio'd for putting out embarrassing or unpopular content. It's not even a well thought out solution because the first comment on these videos will just be "Dislike" and it will have more likes on it than the video itself. By the time youtube censors that, the internet will already move on to the next codeword meaning the same thing.

Don't cheer on corporate ass kissing just because they publicly tell you it's to stop bullies or some such nonsense. I look for the dislike count frequently to gauge content before investing my time, now that it's gone, the "Like" count might as well be removed as well because it's meaningless without the context of dislikes.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

I have never been a big fan of a public 'dislike' button on any personal social media.

I know too many teens and young adults with mental health issues. Many of them can hang on to this kind of 'feedback' to a point where it becomes dangerous.

My assumption is that for most of us older folk this seems silly, but that"s our perspective, not theirs.

Happy to see the back of it.

There is another side of like/dislike that has not been mentioned here. YouTube guesses at what you want to see and pushes it your way. Like/dislike also affects the kind of content they feed you. You can dislike a video because it is not what you want to see and you don't want YouTube filling your screen with more choices like it. You can like a video and they will feed you more like it. I wish they would add "want more" and "don't want to see" buttons that don't rate the video itself, but tells YouTube what you want.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Like the posts above yours stated, it's because people were clicking dislike just to be jerks.

Exactly. YouTube was the perfect metric to measure the Asshole number, the universal constant like the speed of light, that states that among a sufficient large population you have a constant "A" number of true assholes in it. It's universal and there's no escape to it. Even in Tatooine. In YouTube you get a 5 year old kid playing Mozart like Mozart himself and there will be a bunch of dislikes. The freaking 5 year old is giving an amazing performance and some dudes somewhere in their mom's basement that can't play two notes in a row decided to put the Doritos bag apart to click on the Dislike button. Well, there you have your A number.

NOTE: There are temporary spikes in the measurement of the A number when a bunch of people are all behaving like assholes, but that's just temporary. Only the true assholes remain after a while.

Fran

What sucks about YouTube is the things they fill your feed with. If you read or think about something you normal don't and look a video about that topic, then you YouTube will fill up with videos on that topic for weeks. It's got to I avoid looking at non-musical videos because I don't want them filling my feed up. Every now and then I goes through the feed and mark videos as no more on from that site or type and that works for a couple weeks, then slowly Youtube starts throwing those videos back in the feed again. Facebook does the same thing in the Watch feed, if you watch a video that's not your normal taste you get flooded with it for weeks.

So Likes seems to help with what they put into your feeds, but Dislike doesn't seem to affect anything the counts only make Trolls feel they have a purpose in life.

Interesting points about the good and bad aspects of dislikes. My solution would be that, in order to register a dislike, you'd have to provide a reason. They could have a multiple choice checkbox of common reason, or an "other" where you'd have to type a few words explaining why you're disliking. A viewer would then be able to click something to review the reasons for the dislikes. This could dissuade the kneejerk unlikers. and could help potential viewers turned off by a high # of dislikes get a handle on what's "wrong" with the video, to see whether it's something that matters to them. It would also make the dislikes more useful to content creators who actually care why some people are disliking what they're doing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)