Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: youtube inverted videos

Seeing more YouTube videos with inverted video, like looking at a mirror. Videos of Hammonds with the preset keys on the right of the screen, people playing leads which appears on the screen to be with their left hand. Is this an uploading flaw or something else going on?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know in the past, you"d see a lot of users flipping the video image to try to get around copyright. Or sometimes they"d speed-adjust the audio for the same reason.

Or maybe they"re recording with their phone using the front-facing camera. My wife had a phone that took selfies that were flipped.

Stuff and things.

Seeing more YouTube videos with inverted video, like looking at a mirror. Videos of Hammonds with the preset keys on the right of the screen, people playing leads which appears on the screen to be with their left hand. Is this an uploading flaw or something else going on?

If it's people posting recordings of themselves playing, that's an easy way to tell the Android users.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

If it's people posting recordings of themselves playing, that's an easy way to tell the Android users.

What's different about Android users posting themselves vs. IOS? I have never recorded myself with my phone and posted to youtube so no experience in this area.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Inverted can come from people using selfie cameras or as I've heard one or more of the streaming software app inverts the video in some cases. I watched one of my favor piano players doing a live gig stream last night at a big venue and video was inverted. He just sets his phone on the end of the piano's keyboard and starts it streaming. I just happy to hear the live gig I don't worry about it being inverted.

What's different about Android users posting themselves vs. IOS? I have never recorded myself with my phone and posted to youtube so no experience in this area.

iOS will show the selfie cam image mirrored, but automatically flip it by default when it"s recorded/a pic is taken.

Been that since the iSight days almost twenty years ago.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

• 4 weeks later...
iOS will show the selfie cam image mirrored, but automatically flip it by default when it"s recorded/a pic is taken.
I knew that phones "flipped" the selfie cameras so you'd see what you'd expect when looking in a mirror, but I didn't realize iOS flipped them back to the "correct" way when saving/recording the image. Those clever Apple folk! On an Android, I suppose the solution is to avoid using the front camera for this stuff. I've always used the rear camera anyway, so I'd have never noticed either way. But I understand why people like to use the front camera for some of these videos, so they can glance over and confirm that the framing is the way they want it. They may not care about (or possibly even be aware of) the better quality that can be available from the other side.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There's a feature with Apple stuff that can help if you're doing a one-person shoot and want to use the rear camera but make sure the framing is correct. What I'm describing is how it works with my older Mojave system, so apologies if the following doesn't seem to work for anybody! Connect the phone to the Mac, launch the Camera app, then on the Mac launch Quicktime Player and choose "New Movie Recording" (in the file menu). Look for the tiny down-pointing arrowhead next to the red record button. Click there and you should be able to choose the phone as the "Camera" source. That will display the iPhone's screen. You don't actually record into Quicktime on the Mac since the camera controls are overlaid on the image and you probably don't want that in your video! You will however see exactly how the image is framed. I use this method, along with a small bluetooth dongle that starts & stops the video recording.

There are also 3rd-party apps that can wirelessly transmit video from the phone to the computer, but the ones I've tried are problematic; they can drop frames or restrict the resolutions you can use. It's much better imo to use the computer only as a framing aid, record to the phone then airdrop the video file to the computer.

Android does have a setting that should fix the perspective, I just don't think a lot of people realize it's there. For some reason it get's checked as the default on an OS update and very few people go back to fix the setting.

I think almost all picture and video editing software will re or de invert the image pretty simply.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff