Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I did a thing I've never done before...

wraub

...I bought two guitars in the same week. Never would have even guessed that it was a thing I would do, but... yeah.

Here's the newest arrival-

IMG-0066.jpg

I like it. More to come. :D

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...I bought two guitars in the same week. Never would have even guessed that it was a thing I would do, but... yeah.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

You must've liked the way it played, felt, and sounded... :cool::rawk:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

IMG-0066.jpg

Walnut body?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

IMG-0066.jpg

Walnut body?

That is ash with a stain finish. Dad was a master cabinet maker with a home wood shop, I can identify LOTS of different woods from a photo or a sample. Ash has a distinctive grain, so does walnut. They are not the same.

It's a pretty Strat though, I like it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks all! :)

It is ash, and that's a big part of why I wanted it, because of the ash situation in the future. I've always wanted an ash Strat, so the ash and the single pic in the listing was enough to grab me. I actually drove 18 miles each way in rush hour traffic to get it.

I like it a lot.

The Grover tuners and the brass Fender USA vibrato were a bonus. :D

And, I think it's pretty good looking too.

It's just a personal preference, but I'd get a matt black pickguard and lose the blue pearloid.

Visually, "Parchment", white, cream, "Mint", even faux tortoise would also all work well there, too.

I could see cream, parchment, mint, gold, black, and quite a few different colors working here, but the blue/cream with the brown just works well in an unconventional way, imo. Options exist for reasons. :)

I could see cream, parchment, mint, gold, black, and quite a few different colors working here, but the blue/cream with the brown just works well in an unconventional way, imo. Options exist for reasons. :)

Cool. If you like it, that's what counts the most- and I bet it comes off a little different 'live and in person'. :cool:

But wait- have you considered something understated, classy and tasteful- like this?

NAdOvPS.gif

+1 Wraub, I like what I see and I think it might even look better in person as Caevan pointed out. I like pearl pickguards (especially white and red tortise) on Fender guitars. I have 3 Strats in matching black bodies with white pearl pickguards. The red tortoise works best on a white bodies IMO. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Nice axe! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

• 3 weeks later...

It is better in person, definitely.

The body is not shiny, it's very matte, and the hardware is aged brass, so overall it works well visually, imo. Someone on another forum described it as "earth and water".

I also like that it doesn't look like another guitar, really. Brown ash Strats are pretty common, and parchment, gold, and black seem by far to be the most seen pickguards. This one is totally unique, and I like it a lot.

I forgot to mention the hardware- the tuners are star-back Grovers, and the bridge is a vintage Fender vibrato that's all brass. The tuners were gold plated at some time, but they and the bridge have worn to a nice patina. I don't use the vibrato much on a Strat, so it's just a bridge to me, but it looks cool and adds a nice weight and solidity.I think it's also adding to the warm and chimy sound of the guitar. I'm pretty sure the pickups are the budget alnico ones common online, but they sound pretty sweet.

This guitar is actually inspiring me to become a better guitar player. I have books and am using them, and I'm looking for good online instruction, and searching through YT videos. There sure seems to be a lot of mostly useless clickbait, and it's difficult there to find the good stuff. I'm still looking.

That said, this guitar is my jammy. It's well weighted, well balanced, and sounds and plays great imo. It feels good too, broken in and inviting. It's really the only guitar I need, at least for now. It is the guitar I've always wanted.

I don't use the vibrato much on a Strat, so it's just a bridge to me, but it looks cool and adds a nice weight and solidity. I think it's also adding to the warm and chimy sound of the guitar.

Good! And even if you're not using the vibrato much, its springs and tail-block, aka the "inertia block", all contribute a ringing, almost reverb-like quality to the overall character of a Strat. Note that Clapton usually- always?- has his 'blocked-in'; he can have his Strats any way he wants, and he does that instead of simply having hard-tail bridges on them.

I'm pretty sure the pickups are the budget alnico ones common online, but they sound pretty sweet.

Good!

This guitar is actually inspiring me to become a better guitar player. I have books and am using them, and I'm looking for good online instruction, and searching through YT videos.

Also good!

That said, this guitar is my jammy. It's well weighted, well balanced, and sounds and plays great imo. It feels good too, broken in and inviting. It's really the only guitar I need, at least for now. It is the guitar I've always wanted.

Excellent!

I love how that guitar looks...JMO though.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Wraub, +1 It's great when the guitar inspires you and keeps you interested in learning more. It's also great when you get the one you have always wanted in your hand! :2thu:

Truth, x2.

I actually realized the other day that I could really keep this guitar and one other, keep the P and J basses, and sell off the rest. I really don't need them atm, I really only play one or two these days.

I mentioned this to the wife, and was told to keep them all. :) "You already have them, and they look good together on your wall." :D I think I may have to keep her around, too.

I'm in the same boat Wraub! I think I have about 15 guitars counting an old wall hanger and a dobro...I could sell them all and just keep my main axe. I keep trying to size down but somehow another one shows up on my doorstep to replace the ones I sell or give away LoL!.. The wife has been very supportive so I may just keep her too. We'll be celebrating 49 years next week! When you get the right one in your hand, don't let go of it... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I'm in the same boat Wraub! I think I have about 15 guitars counting an old wall hanger and a dobro...I could sell them all and just keep my main axe. I keep trying to size down but somehow another one shows up on my doorstep to replace the ones I sell or give away LoL!.. The wife has been very supportive so I may just keep her too. We'll be celebrating 49 years next week! When you get the right one in your hand, don't let go of it... :thu:

My thoughts exactly. :) Between guitars and basses I think I'm at 11, no plans for more but then these last two were unplanned also. We'll see.

And, congrats! The wife and I are at around 32 I think.