Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Beatles "Get Back" Trailer

Yup⦠this will be The Bomb! Looks like a lot of video and sound cleanup was incorporated here. It"s great to be alive right now.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Whenever you see a girlfriend (Or boyfriend) of a musician sitting next to their lover at a rehearsal, you know that band"s existence is on borrowed time.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

[Great trailer - but what a waste putting it on Disney!!!!

Isn't their target age group the under 12s????]

Apparently you did not watch 'Hamilton'â¦

You know, I think it"s kudos to the Disney deal. Most of us boomer Beatle freaks are grandparents now. From what I"ve seen of the trailer, I think it would be fun to watch with my grandchildren â they have such open minds at their ages, they"ll love the music and the vibe in general.

Here for the gear.

Holy crud does that look good.

And this is from the guy who taught a college course on the Beatles for years. It's hard to come up with anything that really looks new or good.

I'll be watching this for sure.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

You had to be alive and of the age to fully understand the impact they had and how they totally dominated the pop/rock music scene. And pop culture for that matter. It was The Beatles...then everyone else.

I was 16 at the time of Let it be. When they broke up, it was catastrophic to the point of the world ending for us teenagers.

Still have the stub from when I saw them at Busch Stadium in STL. in 1966.

I was 8 when they broke up and though I knew of Beatles songs, the only album I had was Yellow Sub as I liked cartoons. I didn"t realize they broke up and it meant nothing to me. I cut my teeth shortly thereafter on Zep, Sabbath, Purple and found Beatles too tame for my rock n roll soul that emerged in teenage years.

The older I got, the more I first appreciated, then respected, then revered the Beatles. They were genius.

In my first 'garage' band in early 80s we played several of their early hits, songs like I Saw Her Standing There, which were the model of all of the late 70s/early 80s new wave bands (the pre-electronic new wave before that genre turned to shit - the post 70s Stadium Rock style of Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, Ramones, Romantics Cars deconstructed rock n roll). And of course we learned their Birthday song as so many parties we played were birthday bashes.

I will be watching this, looks fascinating.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• 4 weeks later...
Indirectly, the Beatles taught me melody, harmony, chord structure, composition and lyrics. When I was a young'un, that was "music school" for me. I used to disassemble every bit of every song until I understood why it worked the way it did. And, yes, the movie looks very special indeed.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Indirectly, the Beatles taught me melody, harmony, chord structure, composition and lyrics. When I was a young'un, that was "music school" for me. I used to disassemble every bit of every song until I understood why it worked the way it did. And, yes, the movie looks very special indeed.

Back in 1980 and I was going to GIT (first year they were called MI) we had a composition class. To get the interest of all the young guitarists they used all Beatles songs for the examples of traditional composition theory. I was cool seeing how all the Beatle tunes fit into traditional theory.

One of the more interesting comments in the 60 minutes interview with Peter Jackson:

"Conversations and moments that may have gone unheard if not for the use of de-mixing technology. Jackson and his team relied on machine learning and artificial intelligence to isolate specific instruments and vocals that were originally intertwined on mono track recordings. Jackson called his use of audio technology the project's 'big breakthrough'. We were able to split off the guitars, split off the vocals, split off the drums, and even split off the bass," Peter Jackson explained to 60 Minutes. "The computer recognizes John's voice and Paul's voice. So if they're talking over the top of each other we can either have John or Paul."

I wonder what software that is? Sounds like one could go back and pull individual tracks out of a stereo or mono mix??

That's a great mini-documentary that gives us temporal and spatial context for the Let It Be film.

Also some nice snippets of songs that later got released on solo albums.

"Gimme Some Truth" would have especially worked well as a Beatles song!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Just a reminder - parts 1 and 2 are now out. I've watched the first hour of part 1. For me, the best way I can describe it is both fascinating and tedious at the same time. These guys hadn't worked like this for awhile - as they remind you at times - and are kind of feeling their way through the process.

Peter Jackson subtitles parts of it, but I found it easier to understand the thick accents and occasionally muffled dialog by just turning subtitles on for the whole thing. YMMV...

I don't have cable TV but happened to be at a friends' house after Thanksgiving dinner, and he pulled this up to watch.

Interesting to watch the development of their songs. Plenty of fascinating moments, some awkward moments, and Part 1 ends with a cliffhanger (no spoiler here).

Having only seen part one so far, I think one of the charming aspects of it is how universal bands are in terms of noodling around and jumping into old cover songs, other peoples songs, and just general BS and time wasting activities. Like every band I've ever been in!

I think the big takeaway is how rudderless they were during this period. No Brian Epstein, no George Martin for the most part, and no "no" from anyone. Nobody said "Um, that's a stupid idea". Every idea was treated with open arms because, well, they were The Beatles.

Other thoughts - I can see why McCartney rubbed the others the wrong way at times, but his output and musicality was amazing. He pushed them along and had so many good songs brewing. There's a point where Lennon mentions his "two songs". McCartney had quite a few good ones that were far more flushed out when he presented them. I also didn't remember how many tunes they played during this period that ended up on their later solo records.

Tedious and fascinating is a good overview. But I did like how PJ framed the context and timeline to the movie, and the intro part was really great I thought.

For me, the best way I can describe it is both fascinating and tedious at the same time...

Watching Part 1, I can"t stop commiserating with the poor stagehands, engineers, roadies â all these 'support' guys just apparently standing around watching the Four rehearse. The way it strikes me is incredibly fatuous. Ok they"re The Beatles, but they seem to have absolutely no problem just wanking around for days while a couple dozen hapless studio folks look on, wondering if they"re actually getting anywhere.

I"ve only been part of one band that did original material, but we didn"t write songs in this way â 'from scratch' at rehearsal. We brought nearly-finished material to rehearsal, to work out performance details. But maybe this is the way it"s mostly done (?). I"ve been trying to imagine now what other superstar rehearsal time might have looked like!

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

You had to be alive and British in the Sixties to really appreciate the impact of The Beatles not just on music but on the whole tourism in Liverpool.

RnR was tailing off in popularity and what could only be described as Sweet Pop Pap was blazoned across our airwaves and on TV here in the UK.

I saw The Beatles the first time they appeared on our Regional TV (I live 40 miles from Liverpool) and almost instantly they changed British music forever and not just the music, the promotion.

Prior to them artists and groups were wage earners, paid by the promotors who earned all the cash. A concert was not just one band but multiple consisting of a headliner like Joe Brown supported by The Beatles, another band and two solo artists. Oh how times have changed.

Col

For me, the best way I can describe it is both fascinating and tedious at the same time...

Watching Part 1, I can"t stop commiserating with the poor stagehands, engineers, roadies â all these 'support' guys just apparently standing around watching the Four rehearse. The way it strikes me is incredibly fatuous. Ok they"re The Beatles, but they seem to have absolutely no problem just wanking around for days while a couple dozen hapless studio folks look on, wondering if they"re actually getting anywhere.

Dude that's their job. And it's the Beatles. And as in the doldrums as they seem they are still quite productive IMO.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm about 2/3 through. As usual, wrote a long post for the blog:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/review-the-beatles-get-back/

Bottom-line: It shoulda been three separate, focused films: 1. An hour or two of solo Maca at the piano. (Ringo got that right!) 2. Beatles collectively writing and polishing a selected few songs. 3. A latter-day comedy a la "A Hard Day's Night" ending with the rooftop concert.

Interesting source material, but I'm not likely to commit another 8 hours to the entire film such as it is. Someone will do a timeline of the best bits.

BTW, I am a Beatles fan and saw the original documentary in 1970. Still remember it as a crashing bore. Re-litigate the break-up? No, no, no.

Billy Preston? Oh, yes, yes, yes!

The music matters most -- pj ("not Peter Jackson" :-) )

I'm really enjoying the documentary. Much of it hits close to home, having quit bands, and having been in bands that fell apart. So, watching the greatest band of all time falling apart, it's emotional.

I'm fine with Peter Jackson's approach - rather than try to create a narrative, he did his best to document the whole thing day by day as best he could with whatever material he had available. I respect his decision. Is some of it tedious? Sure, but who among us has not been in a tedious rehearsal situation? In a way it really humanizes the band. Poor George just seems sooooo unhappy though much of it. John is partially checked out at this point (holy hell is Yoko's constant, constant presence very strange and clingy), and Paul is just trying to make something happen. And yeah, the poor techs, engineers, and stagehands. Such an interesting dynamic.

The Beatles changed everything. Everything. And it's a remarkable gift to finally be able to see this rare footage, warts and all.

I"ve only been part of one band that did original material, but we didn"t write songs in this way â 'from scratch' at rehearsal. We brought nearly-finished material to rehearsal, to work out performance details. But maybe this is the way it"s mostly done (?). I"ve been trying to imagine now what other superstar rehearsal time might have looked like!

Eagles reportedly worked like this. It took them 18 months of studio time to put The Long Run together. For most mortal bands... no way! A huge extravagance...

After watching Part 1, I greatly sympathize with Paul - who in the gentlest of ways is trying to keep everyone on task. But it was an impossible situation given the complications of late stage Beatles and the original task at hand: Come up with 14 new songs plus rehearse for a live performance in a little over two weeks! With weekends off!!! Even the most disciplined of bands couldn't have done it, and in this case they were only partially successful with any of it.

Like many of us in this forum, I was around back then. Let It Be was the only Beatles album I didn't buy. To me (and many others) it was a huge letdown from Abbey Road (although recorded later, was released earlier). I wish there was footage from those sessions so we could compare.

Let It Be has most of my favorite Beatles tunes on it. In my current tribute band, they are also the ones we play the most. Yet I always hated Spector's production work. It took me years to un-hear what he did to "Across the Universe", but by now I've heard the real version enough times to "erase" the specter of Spector -- similarly with Get Back and Let It Be vs. the singles.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager