Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It has piano strings, felts, a sustain pedal, hammers...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hungarians and Romanians are really some of the great virtuosos on Cimbalon in the world. This guy is good though (he looks like a gypsy Central European, these guys know how to make these instrument sing!
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Yes, for all I know he's just an "average joe" cimbalon player! I'm intrigued enough to look into the repertoire and check out some of the masters. I remember this player mentioning he was Hungarian. He does get around on that thing! Too bad street players feel like they have to play to the tourist crowd - I have a feeling this guy might be capable of playing more serious works.

Yes, amazing instrument! If you don't mind a slight correction, Reezekeys, the instrument is called the cimbalom (with an "m" at the end).

Here's a clip that will give you an idea of what's possible on the instrument. The true virtuosi are mind-boggling:

And if you've never seen Roby Lakatos and his group, check him out. He's a mind-blowing musician, from a long family dynasty. I chanced upon his group doing an outdoor concert in La Grand-Place - the famous central square in Brussels, many years ago, and have been a huge fan ever since. He's not so well-known in the US, but he's very well-known internationally, records for Deutsche Grammophon, etc. A true violin virtuoso, whose group plays an amazing blend of Gypsy music, classical and jazz. Not-to-be-missed!

Thank you for turning me on to this - it's just incredible! That's some serious virtuosity. I'm a little embarassed - I've definitely heard the name of the instrument before but did not associate it with what I saw. Dulcimers were small things, or so I thought. And thanks for the correction - boy do I hate it when I make a mistake like that. I'll be editing my youtube post right away. And I'll be on the lookout for more from this group too - they're amazing!

One of my longtime favorite instruments, since I saw an old Hungarian musicians play one on the street of Paris in 1978 or '79, accompanied only by his child son on a small handheld percussion instrument. It was so mesmerizing that I stayed for an hour listening to them - and later, despite being broke, I gave them a substantial part of the money I had in my pocket. A revealing musical experience. When I returned home, I tried to gather as much info as I could about Balkanic music traditions, and discovered this huge world of virtuoso players and improvisers, of which I knew nothing, except perhaps Bela Bartok's work. That discover is still in progress...