Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass amp for Hammond Clone?

As long as we're talking about "small subs" (I know, it's all relative), I use the little Behringer B1200D-PRO

That seems like another good option, lower cost than other subs mentioned... and not too heavy, by sub standards. Probably better than the bass amp option, if the weight is okay. Especially since, again, it also gives you the ability to filter the low end out of the mains.

Note: the trick w/CPS SSv3 placement is simple. Use an amp stand, lay it down horizontally so that the side-firing speaker is bouncing off the floor. Voila! Perfect sound every time, even at closer distances.

Good tip!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this little 10" Yorkville sub and tried it out with my SSv.3. The X/Ydimensions are similar to the SS to lay horizontally on top, tipping the front up enough for the sound bounce off the top of the sub. Only problem with this was the sub is carpeted, mitigating the bounce, so there'd have to be a plexiglass surface between the two speakers, and also the SS + subwoofer still doesn't work for acoustic piano. The sub was returned in lieu of a better all-around/all-in one solution (like a Motion Sound but argh, they're pricey especially since there's no distributor in Canada â meaning: currency conversion, shipping, duties, taxes).

Here for the gear.

I keep one of these around. Good for grab and go when I don"t want to take two powered speakers, or to add bottom to:the SS3. Hartke KB12.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KB12--hartke-kb12-kickback-500w-1x12-inch-bass-combo

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

• 4 months later...

Some time passed.
I got a (used) Leslie 2101 (mk1) and combined it with a Markbass Bass amp. As Dazzjazz stated it requires a proper setup / soundcheck to balance both. My band mates didn't recognize the difference to the Mojos onboard Leslie Sim through a PA speaker.

Maybe some of you are right and I should get a decent stereo PA speaker set. Dazzjazz says he is lucky with 10 inch, and I really do like the size and weight combination. I think I could always add the Markbass as a sort of subwoofer if needed - as the DBR10 / DXR10 do have a low cut and also an additional output, which could feed the bass amp (?).

I'm hesitating to order two or more speakers just to try them, being relatively sure to send (some of) them back. I have a big dealer nearby, but I need my instruments to check to feel comfortable judging the speakers.

Well, and I shouldn't forget playing music.

Thank you all. Cheers.

58 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

Some time passed.
I got a (used) Leslie 2101 (mk1) and combined it with a Markbass Bass amp. As Dazzjazz stated it requires a proper setup / soundcheck to balance both. My band mates didn't recognize the difference to the Mojos onboard Leslie Sim through a PA speaker.

Wow, those 2101's are pretty expensive new (i see yours was used). And to sound good they need bass support so you can easily put $2K into a leslie system using it.  And for your bandmates to tell you that they didnt recognize the difference says something about the leslie on the Mojo.  I hadnt used my Gemini module since December and just used it about a week ago; I was surprised how good the internal leslie sounded.  I certainly didnt miss my Vent nor my Burn and I ran the internal leslie sim through a single mono monitor.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band