Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

For a compact Pitch-Shifting pedal, one that will run off a 9-volt battery, I'm favorably impressed. Admittedly, all the the EHX demo videos sound great - I definitely heard some added Reverb in there, too - so I'd be curious to try one IRL.

An EXP In jack would have been a nice addition, although I suppose the Sweep function mimics the Whammy effect somewhat? The Sweep function also reminded me of the now-extinct Dwarfcraft Wizard of Pitch, which was a very cool device, when it behaved. I wonder if there's a way to engage that effect in Toggle Mode, not just Momentary.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

[font:Verdana]Can you smeeeeeelllllllll what Catalinbread is cookin'?[/font]

I know that I'd really :love:LOVE :love: to have a Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe; it wouldn't replace my Strymon El Capistan, THAT would remain in my amp's effects-loop, while the Belle Epoch Deluxe would go in front of my amp's input.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Phase 90 based, adding an option for eight stages (beyond the original's four); a feedback control; better balanced in output so as not to suffer a volume drop when kicked in; and pretty small, too- the new MXR Deep Phase.

While I have a great, very versatile phase-shifter pedal already- my VFE Enterprise Phaser- I might to like have an eight-stage phaser, too...

I'll add that while Mr. Bohlinger states that "you can totally get a Leslie-esque sound", I beg to differ; it doesn't sound like a Leslie to me, it sounds- like a phaser, a great, classic phaser effect, just faster and swirlier than the usual, classic EVH deployment.

[video:youtube]

[font:Verdana]^ What a q-t.

In yet more effects news, Strymon has launched another vessel into the modular synth seas:[/font] https://www.strymon.net/product/starlab/

Ah, man, I can imagine using that thing with my Neutron . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

So, it seems that the first Boss Fuzz pedal was designated the FZ-2, many years ago; so, this Fz-1w "Waza" Fuzz is not necessarily an update on an earlier model from Boss, the way some of the 'Waza Craft' line are...

I have to wonder if the V-M (Vintage-Modern?) switch is meant to switch between Germanium and Silicon-style sounds, if not diodes?

FWIW, the M setting sounds much more like a modern High-Gain Distortion to my ears.

That Boss FZ-1w isn't a fuzz that would replace any of my existing fuzzes, or even any that I would like to get. But I would like to have one on hand as a 'just in case' fuzz pedal that would likely be very dependable, relatively compact, and play well with other pedals placed before or after it. I'd keep it in my 'gig-bag', not always on my pedalboard.

I have to wonder if the V-M (Vintage-Modern?) switch is meant to switch between Germanium and Silicon-style sounds, if not diodes?

I know what you mean, but I think both Boss and Sweetwater would bring that up as a selling-point if it were the case.

And, I think that its Vintage Mode sounds quite 'silicon', as well. Sort of aggressive vintage Silicon Fuzz Face, that still cleans-up fairly well (better than some vintage and vintage-style si FF's do).

FWIW, the M setting sounds much more like a modern High-Gain Distortion to my ears.

I think so, too- or at least, an aggressive si fuzz stacked into a distortion pedal.

I watched the two Sweetwater demonstrators gush over the FZ-1w and I started out very interested, but the more I watched the less I wanted it.

So, it seems that the first Boss Fuzz pedal was designated the FZ-2, many years ago; so, this Fz-1w "Waza" Fuzz is not necessarily an update on an earlier model from Boss, the way some of the 'Waza Craft' line are...

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I watched the two Sweetwater demonstrators gush over the FZ-1w and I started out very interested, but the more I watched the less I wanted it.

Yeah, like I said above, the Boss FZ-1w isn't a fuzz that would replace any of my existing fuzzes, or even any that I would like to get.

But, I would like to have one on hand as a 'just in case' fuzz pedal that would likely be very dependable, relatively compact, and play well with other pedals placed before or after it. I'd keep it in my 'gig-bag', not always on my pedalboard.

I think that its good points are likely dependability, and consistency- the way most Boss pedals aren't 'fussy' about what is placed in line before or after them, the way many fuzz pedals are.

EDIT: I ran across this, unexpectedly; this guy gets some more enticing and enthusiastically played tones out of the new FZ-1w here:

Nice piece of kit!

It's got some cool features. Still, I'd like it a LOT better with full stereo I/O, actual stereo effects, and- a reverb-only TRS effects-loop insert, so that I could process the reverb with other external effects.

Or, just the latter- the TSR effects-loop insert, the whole shebang in full glorious MONO; it'd work fine stacked into my Gold Star Reverb and be in keeping with Phil Spector's audio-vision...

[font:Verdana]How bad are your patching/signal routing issues, really?[/font] https://vintageking.com/blog/2021/11/buyers-guide-flock-audio/

Reminds me of the Digital Music Ground Control/GCX switcher combo. I love the idea, but haven't ever committed to a switching system? FWIW, I get into some interesting patching & routing issues with a Guitar driving multiple Synths & FX devices.

• 2 weeks later...
[font:Verdana]Here's a chorus/vibrato pedal. I don't know if I've ever used this word to describe an effects pedal, but this sounds lovely.[/font]

That is nice as chorus pedals go; depending on control settings, at times it sounds a little more 'doubling' than typical 'chorus- which, to me, is a good thing.

Now: Hmmm...

I've been using Boss Loopers since the first RC-20 model came out, and IMHO, that video is somewhat misleading . . .

The first thing I wondered about was all of those cables coming out of the back of the thing?!? Looking at a still photo of the RC-600, in terms of Audio I/O, there are 2 Mic Inputs, and 2 sets of Stereo Instrument Inputs, L&R1 and L&R2. You also get a Stereo Main Outs, plus 2 sets of Stereo Sub Outs. There are also 2 jacks for additional Control/Expression Pedals, and a Headphone Out. In the video, they've connected everything but the Headphone Out. Since we don't see what the Outs are connected to, I have to wonder if they didn't plug in all those jacks just because it would look impressive?

You might think, from watching the video, that ALL of those Instruments are plugged right into the RC-600, but they're not. IDK how they're connected for the purposes of the video, but if you were to try to re-enact that demo at home, or even in a studio, you'd need a Mixer to accommodate at least some of the Instruments. It's possible, but unlikely, that you could combine a Mic In with one of the Stereo In sets to record a Loop? I'll have to look in the Manual for that one.

There's also the impression that he can just turn to any of the Instruments nearby, and start looping: you don't even get to see how new Loops are being recorded or triggered, particularly when he's standing a couple of yards away from the Looper? Like the old song says, "It ain't necessarily so . . ." It can be done, but he'd probably need more outboard Control switches than the two I see lying around in the video.

It's an impressive product, no question, but I just wish the demo didn't make it look nearly effortless to get the result you're hearing. A lot of players are likely to be frustrated when their first few attempts at multi-tracking don't sound nearly as good as what they've been led to expect.

I've been using Boss Loopers since the first RC-20 model came out, and IMHO, that video is somewhat misleading . . .

The first thing I wondered about was all of those cables coming out of the back of the thing?!? Looking at a still photo of the RC-600, in terms of Audio I/O, there are 2 Mic Inputs, and 2 sets of Stereo Instrument Inputs, L&R1 and L&R2. You also get a Stereo Main Outs, plus 2 sets of Stereo Sub Outs. There are also 2 jacks for additional Control/Expression Pedals, and a Headphone Out. In the video, they've connected everything but the Headphone Out. Since we don't see what the Outs are connected to, I have to wonder if they didn't plug in all those jacks just because it would look impressive?

I wondered about all those I/O cables, myself...

You might think, from watching the video, that ALL of those Instruments are plugged right into the RC-600, but they're not. IDK how they're connected for the purposes of the video, but if you were to try to re-enact that demo at home, or even in a studio, you'd need a Mixer to accommodate at least some of the Instruments. It's possible, but unlikely, that you could combine a Mic In with one of the Stereo In sets to record a Loop? I'll have to look in the Manual for that one.

There's also the impression that he can just turn to any of the Instruments nearby, and start looping: you don't even get to see how new Loops are being recorded or triggered, particularly when he's standing a couple of yards away from the Looper? Like the old song says, "It ain't necessarily so . . ." It can be done, but he'd probably need more outboard Control switches than the two I see lying around in the video.

It's an impressive product, no question, but I just wish the demo didn't make it look nearly effortless to get the result you're hearing. A lot of players are likely to be frustrated when their first few attempts at multi-tracking don't sound nearly as good as what they've been led to expect.

You and I and others more or less like us would prefer an actual real-time live demonstration video; the sort that used to be what you'd see for loopers like this one. Instead, slick production videos that represent concepts and suggested use are what they trot out... I don't doubt that someone could achieve pretty much the same in real-time/real-life, properly equipped and connected and actually using the looper's footswitches, onboard and remote; but, yeah, the video is silly and a bit misleading.

• 1 month later...

I guess this sort of qualifies as new - I just picked up a brand new Peavey Vypyr X1, our local Guitar Center somehow got a couple of them.

I already have a Vypyr VIP 1, more or less the same model but the newer one has a few under the hood improvements. Last night I hooked them both up in stereo using an AB box.

Running different effects - 12 on each amp - or running similar effects with different settings sounds fantastic, open and "airy".

The one I didn't get to yet is - running my TC Flashback delay in reverse mode into both amps and running reverse delays on those as well. Both amps and the TC have tap tempo so you could sync up an ever changing array of reverse-reverse delays. I've never done that, will try it today. Crazy world!!!!! :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The one I didn't get to yet is - running my TC Flashback delay in reverse mode into both amps and running reverse delays on those as well. Both amps and the TC have tap tempo so you could sync up an ever changing array of reverse-reverse delays. I've never done that, will try it today. Crazy world!!!!! :)

I bet that'll sound great! Add volume-swells and feedback to that and it'll be really wild!

I bet that'll sound great! Add volume-swells and feedback to that and it'll be really wild!

Completely insane!!!! It will be fun. I've already got a good friend who laughs her head off when I just played reverse delay. Reversed reverse delay will slay her, probably me too. :)

@KuruPrionz - When you run a Reverse Delay into another Reverse Delay, the 2nd Delay in line flips the initial "reversed" signal so it sounds like it's moving "forwards" again. Try it, you'll see . . .

OTOH, put a Volume pedal or a Swell/Attack Delay effect in front of your "dual mono" rig, with each Vypyr set to Reverse Delay, and you can get reverse effects that fade in and out, instead of the often abrupt cut-off you get with a fast attack going into a Reverse Delay effect. Takes a little finessing, but worth the effort.

You could also run a Volume Pedal or Swell effect into a long Forward Delay in your Flashback pedal, then send the outputs to your "dual mono" rig with each Vypyr set for a Reverse Delay, as above. For real fun, set the Flashback to 100% Wet, if it will allow that, then try to accompany what you hear coming out of your Amps, with the offset timing. This is a variation on a trick Henry Kaiser used, just playing with a full Wet Delay.

@KuruPrionz - When you run a Reverse Delay into another Reverse Delay, the 2nd Delay in line flips the initial "reversed" signal so it sounds like it's moving "forwards" again. Try it, you'll see . . .

OTOH, put a Volume pedal or a Swell/Attack Delay effect in front of your "dual mono" rig, with each Vypyr set to Reverse Delay, and you can get reverse effects that fade in and out, instead of the often abrupt cut-off you get with a fast attack going into a Reverse Delay effect. Takes a little finessing, but worth the effort.

You could also run a Volume Pedal or Swell effect into a long Forward Delay in your Flashback pedal, then send the outputs to your "dual mono" rig with each Vypyr set for a Reverse Delay, as above. For real fun, set the Flashback to 100% Wet, if it will allow that, then try to accompany what you hear coming out of your Amps, with the offset timing. This is a variation on a trick Henry Kaiser used, just playing with a full Wet Delay.

Thanks Winston, more funs to check out. Your assessment of reverse delay into reverse delay is more or less what I was anticipating. I can't imagine the attack is very accurate on the reversed reverse delay, I guess that would change depending on which delays one was using. Maybe I'll run one reverse and one forward on the Vypyrs. There are all sorts of combinations available.