Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cellular iPad ? Worth the money for my needs ?

I want to buy a new iPad mini 6. I've done some some googling regarding data plans for iPads. I want to use the smaller iPad mostly for around the house - reading news and miscellaneous articles on it instead of my phone.

My Cricket Wireless plan currently is $50 monthly "unlimited" data - but seems to throttle at 2 GB. That's not an issue at home using my Wi-FI. But in mid-June 2021 on my road trip (Orlando to Santa Fe NM and back) I did get messages about hitting 2 GB. Googling recently , I saw data plans for iPads from some carriers like T-Mobile. Cricket has a Hotspot plan with up to 10 GB for, I think, $60 per month.

I expect to only hit the > 2 GB mark on future travels. I'm mostly thinking about motel rooms where I can plug my phone into an electrical outlet and tether the iPad mini 6. My thinking is that a 10 GB Hotspot plan would cover my needs. But I don't know the ins and outs of data usage etc.

So, is the cellular model warranted for me ?. It's an extra $200.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your plan is to use the iPad mostly for reading, websites and that sort of thing then data usage should be minimal. I wouldn"t worry about the throttling for the data unless you"re planning on streaming media (ie movies, music) in which case you would probably experience hiccups in the streaming of that data. Also you don"t need the cellular version of iPad if you are going to tether to your iPhone as you implied. Save the money and use it towards more space on the iPad (or buy some new music gear with it lol). I would try it with your current 'unlimited' Cricket wireless plan and see how it goes first and then consider upgrading that if necessary. Good luck!

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

If your plan is to use the iPad mostly for reading, websites and that sort of thing then data usage should be minimal. I wouldn"t worry about the throttling for the data unless you"re planning on streaming media (ie movies, music) in which case you would probably experience hiccups in the streaming of that data. Also you don"t need the cellular version of iPad if you are going to tether to your iPhone as you implied. Save the money and use it towards more space on the iPad (or buy some new music gear with it lol). I would try it with your current 'unlimited' Cricket wireless plan and see how it goes first and then consider upgrading that if necessary. Good luck!

I forgot one point in my scenario. I have a Pixel 5 android phone. I don't believe that should prevent tethering to an Apple iPad. But in case it might, I'll mention it here.

I would closely look at how often you will need cellular on the Ipad. I've noticed that network access is becoming available at more and more places that I visit. Hotel access is not great for video but it is fine for reading and music. I've noticed that in hotel rooms cellular access is frequently bad.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page