Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

A couple of Yamaha FC4A pedals, to replace my broken-down Nektar NP-2's, that only lasted about 6 months. Hopefully the Yamaha's last longer.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

My third add-on ribbon controller, to go on my lovely new PC4-7. We're finally getting used to each other.

I hereby shoot Nerf daggers of kindly envy at you over the great touch strip find. :clap:

I bought the new Alex Ball expansion set for M-Tron Pro, because its quite clean when contrasted with most of the instrument's sounds. Its not quite as crisp as the Chamberlin set, but its close and the eclectic variety is satisfying. Its a useful addition.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I just made a big exciting purchase--only to have most of the size and excitement taken away :)

?

I'm talking about ordering from Thomann US. I found the Kurzweil PC4 there for a silly--I mean ridiculous-- low price, triple-checked (and emailed) to make sure it was a new one, and not the SE model.

Stupid me didn't realize when I ordered that: 1) ordering items made in China that get shipped here, they are subject to import taxes of up to 25%. 2) Orders over $800 will get held up in customs and may have other fees. What is weird about all that though is that they showed 2-day UPS express shipping...obviously it already has to be here in the States (???)

#$%@

So anyway, Thomann thankfully stopped the order to confirm with me that I was ok with this, because none of this was obvious on the checkout. I ended up cancelling the PC4.

I also got a bit of cold feet about what happens if I needed to return it. Sweetwater gave me 100 bucks off (whoop-de-do after this deal!) so I may just go with that.

However, I did end up keeping the K&M Omega Pro and a couple accessories for it--even with $45 shipping, it's still over $100 cheaper than anywhere I could find here. I intend this to be my "one keyboard gig" stand because it can get tall (x-stands are too low for my standing height) and looks fricking cool! I got the white one. I might end up getting the second tier depending on whether that makes it way less portable (I also have a spider pro, which I don't like for one keyboard.) It also happens to get *lower* than my other stands, so it should make a good under-desk stand that can slide out as needed. I do this now with my Z stand (works on tile) but it's a bit tall.

Edit (still last post), an update to my sordid tale of woe.

I ended up getting a deal at GC that beat another deal from another place. Bonus for being able to return locally if something happens. It's a bit rough to get a 300 dollar discount but feel down because the one at Thomann was much better than that :) The real downside is that I have to wait until later this month as they are out of stock (as many things are these days).

This finally arrived in time for a weekend project. Good news is that the basic WIDI connection feels a tiny bit more responsive than the native Bluetooth (iOS and MacOS), but the more complicated WIDI connections are proving to be a challenge. There's a bit of a tech learning curve, it's all the good, bad and the ugly of MIDI, USB and Bluetooth wrapped in a teeny-tiny package, so yeah, fun times ... :whistle:

IMG-0564.jpg

2468.thumb.jpg.27bc0c505422b079d331d243002b8253.jpg

A new 12u rack from nice-racks.com.

I live in a tight space, and most of what you see here has been sitting in storage and has never really been incorporated into my home setup in a permanent way that makes it easy for me to turn on and find inspiration or the sounds I want. My workflow has been more along the lines of:

• Dig the thing out of the closet or drive out to the storage unit to get it.
  • Bring an extra chair or something into my office/studio/spare room to set it on
  • Find cables of an appropriate length
  • Connect cables
  • Trip over cables
  • Hunch over or sit on the floor to try and use it, because I haven't bothered to set up anything on my PC/DAW to make it easier, because I use [rack item X] so rarely because of the hassle that I haven't bothered to figure out midi routing, patch selection, etc etc

And 2+ hours later, the time I wanted to spend making music was spent just kind of getting ready to do so. Then, because a chair is a precarious place to keep a rack unit wired up, it gets unplugged and set in a corner or back in the closet.

I might be stretching the PITA-ness of it all a little for narrative's sake, but the point is, these were all basically inaccessible as musical instruments.

The rack is super solid, the color is great, and it arrived about 2 weeks after I placed my order. And, David (the owner) was really helpful and communicative. Considering that, even with shipping, I got a unit made of wood built to my specs for pretty much what a similar piece of furniture made of MDF would have cost from a national retailer, this is was a no-brainer.

(of course, the Rane isn't quite the right mixer for this application, so now I think I may have to augment this with the Samson sm10, which will likely be the next music related purchase).

new_rack8x6.jpg

I bought the new Korg Nano controller which came handy to my Mainstage and iOs rig: 8 faders, 3×8 knobs and 8 rotary encoders. I just wonder why they don't add the 9th fader so to use it as a drawbars controller...

I also purchased the MK Sensation Live Gigging Module for iOS and I admit that I got sucked. The sounds are really dated, maybe good for the congregation musician but not as good for all around purposes and surely not as good as the Neo Soul Keys.

PC i just downloaded Ravenscroft for ios. It sounds amazing

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

After an earlier post asking about using the Lucas Nano as a stereo keyboard amp, I thought I might as well give it a try. The price was reduced by almost 50% and there's a 30-day return policy with the retailer, so, why not? Note: I bought the 600 Model (the one on sale) but far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the newer model 608 is in the mixer portion and iPad controls. Being as I have full EQ and mixer ability on my Kronos61, I felt the sale price made it a deal not worth passing up.

Well, I'm impressed. Everything I've read in the SOS Review regarding sound and quality of build is spot on.

I have till the weekend to decide for sure, but at this point I believe for my purposes (at home and small/lightweight gigs) it's a keeper. If I ever need more than that, there are always other options, ie output the Nano to FOH or just accept what's provided by a house PA.

I have my SSv3 up for sale locally, but no bites. I don't want to undersell it and actually I'm still on the fence, so I'd be just as happy to keep it. Come to think, I could likely use the Nano's subwoofer with it and it's a win/win either way.

Cross-posted on my other thread for reference.

Here for the gear.

Did my usual "support the economy" holiday music spending for the year.

EastWest Hollywood Choirs Gold

Steven Slate Drums Trigger 2 Platinum (for drum replacement and audio-to-midi conversion)

ART CoolSwitch A/B pedal - can be used to switch between two inputs to one output, which is what I'll be using with a looper pedal.

More relevant to KC:

I've wanted to try a real synthesizer, and I have a project coming up that's going to be synth-heavy. I bought a Behringer CAT; the price was right on-sale. It was between this and their Pro-1 clone, but I can use the second note of paraphony. I found a custom stand from eBay and an SKB cubed foam case for transport. Should be a good time.

CAT_P0DNE_Right_XL.png

s-l1600.jpg

In the past few months:

iZotope Nectar 3 vocal processing suite

iZotope Neoverb

Studio Electronics SE7 Small-diaphragm Condenser mic pair for a good musician/student friend of mine

Via IK group buy:

Amplitube X-Gear Space, Time, and Vibe plugin versions

IK Sampletron 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

,,, i just downloaded Ravenscroft for ios. It sounds amazing

... and I love that Ravenscroft runs on an iPhone, along with KORG Module Pro, VB3m and OB-Xd. It makes such a cool little sound module.

I finally got the Hammond B-3X (iOS) for US$59.99. It's the odd man out since it's iPad only, but that may be a blessing in disguise. It can be fussy app and runs better on its' own hardware. Hammond B-3X (iOS) - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hammond-b-3x/id1484367101

Just ordered a new set of monitors for my practice setup at home. I got tired of the big midrange bump and LF drop off of my Yamaha HS5's so trying a pair of Kali IN5. Living in a small apartment and trying to keep nice with neighbors I wanted front ported speakers so Kali or KRK Rokit are it for small monitors. I've had KRK Rokits and they are nice, but Kali's are a three way setup (top speaker has integrated tweeter) so thought I'd give them a try, so the delivery waiting game begins.

While gigs are still slow I'm taking a break from Keys and making an intensive effort to improve my guitar skills. I've been playing guitar for over 50 years and never had a good acoustic. I always wanted a Martin but could never justify the cost but after turning 70 a few days ago I realized time is getting short and I shouldn't wait too much longer. Luckily, Guitar Center is having a VIP sale this weekend with a 15% off coupon. Normally Martin is exempt from GC coupons but not this time. Few dealers will give much of a discount on Martins but thanks to GC I got $539 off the usual selling price plus 48 months to pay it off at 0% interest. I'm having it delivered to the store avoiding any potential problems with shipping damage or theft. I can also return it directly to the store if I don't like it for some reason. This is a Martin OM-28E like the one that should be arriving next week:

CNT82261.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I'm having it delivered to the store avoiding any potential problems with shipping damage or theft. I can also return it directly to the store if I don't like it for some reason.

Yeah, there are definitely some huge advantages to buying musical instruments from brick-and-mortar companies. I once ordered a keyboard that was supposed to be shipped directly to GC but it got lost along the way. The shipping company suspected foul play and contacted me as they were trying to find where to assign blame. Once I told them (and they confirmed) that the shipment was never supposed to come directly to me, they were able to immediately move on...

Well, i was seduced by the 8DIO black Friday sale; about to live EW Composer Cloud, i needed (ehm, wanted) other choirs and voices, so i bought Requiem Pro and Jennifer with a substantial discount, and got Insolidus as a present; i am happy. Times to write more music.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

While gigs are still slow I'm taking a break from Keys and making an intensive effort to improve my guitar skills. I've been playing guitar for over 50 years and never had a good acoustic. I always wanted a Martin but could never justify the cost but after turning 70 a few days ago I realized time is getting short and I shouldn't wait too much longer. Luckily, Guitar Center is having a VIP sale this weekend with a 15% off coupon. Normally Martin is exempt from GC coupons but not this time. Few dealers will give much of a discount on Martins but thanks to GC I got $539 off the usual selling price plus 48 months to pay it off at 0% interest. I'm having it delivered to the store avoiding any potential problems with shipping damage or theft. I can also return it directly to the store if I don't like it for some reason. This is a Martin OM-28E like the one that should be arriving next week:

CNT82261.jpg

That's a beauty! Be aware that Martins come from the factory with the action set a bit high, for those who play loudly and fiercely. You'll want to take it to a tech who knows their stuff and have it set up to your preferences and playing style.

Also be aware that a wooden guitar will sound better after six months of playing and continue to improve a bit in tone beyond that. The bass livens up, just for one thing.

Acoustic guitars are a process, give it time and it will love you back. Last but not least, a Martin in good condition will hold or increase in value. I wouldn't call it an investment but it is a form of savings account. If and when you part ways you should re-coup most if not all of your costs if you've given it a good life. Have fun!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just ordered a Mac Mini (M1, 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD) for the home studio. Looking forward to having a dedicated music computer.

I got one recently, an Apple refurbished with half that hard drive space. Planning on tracking on the M1 and offloading for mixing and backup. It tracks fast, you will like!!! :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Novation Launchkey 37 MK3 with a case from our good friends Kraft Music. Kind of wanted a small controller to use on my desk that also had 5-pin midi for the CAT for live use.

Otherwise, finally got a decent capo for my guitar (G7th Performance 3) and two of those Furman power strips for gigs; my hardware-store gig strip is on its way out.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments