Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaker Dillema (Kali IN-8)

SHORT QUESTION: Has anyone had any experience with Kali Audio speakers, and are the IN8s really that much better than the LP8s?

LONGER EXPLANATION:

I was just at a Guitar Center across the state, and they had ONE (yes 1) Kali Audio IN-8 speaker in stock. I demo'd a pair of LP-8s and the IN-8, and both blew me away, but I obviously didn't get a great sense of comparison since the IN8 was in mono. I asked my boss if he'd cover the cost, and he said yes.

BUT... When I went back to look at things, they were way more expensive than I expected. I'm in Alaska, so shipping cost are enormous with anyone besides Amazon Prime. However they're out everywhere. My quote of about $660 is now up to around $1000 for the pair when factoring in everything, and I hate slinking back to my boss to ask him for more $$$$ (when both of us know the speakers are going to be used for a lot of non-work related material).

However, the LP-8 v2 I can get for around $550 for a pair. I was already pretty impressed with the LP8s I tried against similarly priced JBLs and way better than Adams T7V (unsurprisingly, those don't get a lot of love).

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I am a fan of Kali monitors.

Yes, I have a pair of (Mark 1) IN8s.

Yes, I believe they're a lot better than the LPs. I'm a huge fan of dual concentric design.

dB

Thanks for chiming in! I was half-hoping you'd say the LP8s are pretty close, because they're A LOT cheaper and easier to find. Even the IN8 mark 1s are kinda difficult to locate, but the v2s are really tough. Vintage King wants to charge $200 for shipping a pair, and all the other places have them on back order.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

If only you had asked this question a few months ago, I would have a very detailed answer for you, and maybe I even posted on this forum at the time (though more likely it was at MOTUnation if I had anything to say about Kali at the time). But I've been through too many life changes, moves, and deaths, to recall much of anything anymore that isn't in the immediate past.

The specifics that I forget, are related to the differences in the models and series and whether it's worth it, whether there are caveats, pluses and minuses, etc. (as well as differences in ideal size due to specific engineering choices). I'll see if I can spot my comments on the other forum, but it can be hard with such short search terms.

At least at the more general abstract level though, I can tell you that though super-new as a brand, the pedigree of the top engineers at the company is top-notch and those who have installed Kali are happy. Former JBL LSR series folks. And I just checked the other forum just now; I didn't participate in the thread, but others do see it as a super-upgraded JBL LSR, good price, not quite up to Event 20/20 standards though (or Neumann KH series).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

If only you had asked this question a few months ago, I would have a very detailed answer for you, and maybe I even posted on this forum at the time (though more likely it was at MOTUnation if I had anything to say about Kali at the time). But I've been through too many life changes, moves, and deaths, to recall much of anything anymore that isn't in the immediate past.

Well, I'll be... I'm a MOTUNation lifer too. I go by "Prime Mover" over there. I haven't been on quite as much lately though. I'll hop on over and check it out!