Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Mike Rivers

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man...I was afraid of that. What a shame, and what a loss for our industry. What I liked most about him was his integrity.

I'd hate to see his Wordpress site go away, there's a lot of good information in there. If no one is planning on continuing it, it should at least by archived somewhere.

That's some sad news, I'll certainly miss reading his posts. He was typically straight forward and knowledgable in technical know how and experience. His no nonsense approach was something I really admire and appreciate. My deepest sympathies to his family and close friends.

I had a feeling, unfortunately. :( RIP.

http://www.elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2020/images-NAMMBulating-2020/IMG_7931%20Mike%20Rivers_NAMM-2020-iPhone.jpg

The last time I spoke to him was at NAMM, January 2020 (shown above). This is also the last NAMM that I attended since the pandemic became considerably worse a short while later.

2460.thumb.jpg.fc142620b6b53629505f02dbba264258.jpg

Rest in Peace Mike, you will be missed.

I sent a message just a few days ago, hoping. For some reason, he friended me on here and we worked on a small transformer project together, the result of one of Craig's threads.

I mailed Mike some parts and he soldered it up and mailed it back to me. I am grateful to have it.

Our time will come, all of us. Enjoy life, it's sweet!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

http://www.elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2020/images-NAMMBulating-2020/IMG_7931%20Mike%20Rivers_NAMM-2020-iPhone.jpg

The last time I spoke to him was at NAMM, January 2020 (shown above). This is also the last NAMM that I attended since the pandemic became considerably worse a short while later.

Wow...talk about a picture capturing someone's essence perfectly. That's Mike, smiling mad scientist, with a super-wealth of knowledge. What a loss.

Wow...talk about a picture capturing someone's essence perfectly. That's Mike, smiling mad scientist, with a super-wealth of knowledge. What a loss.

Thanks. He seemed relaxed, perhaps more so than usual. We talked for quite a while, and he seemed like he was in a good mood, and yes, imparting some of his knowledge as usual. Part of what we spoke about was him contemplating a move to California (he lived on the East Coast).

2461.thumb.jpg.1c1643f2e48367f92163e8a8d15d9969.jpg

It was only yesterday that I remembered that he had one public-facing mailbox, he used it in connection with a long-lived project.

https://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/mackie-hard-disk-recorder/

He may have been paying homage to an Ampex 16 track with that email address. When we realized that he hadn't been posting I thought that we could bring him back with the longest thread of posts that were subtly but demonstrably wrong on a range of topics from traditional music to AES papers. I thought that would be irresistible. If you think of forums as a neighborhood, we were lucky to have him close by. He is missed.

I posted questions several times over the years. Mike Rivers always gave clear and common sense (understandable to my non-tech mind) advice. He recommended Total Recorder years ago when I wanted to record a favorite weekly radio show.

He was a valuable resource who seemed to enjoy teaching some of what he knew, simply for the pleasure of sharing.

Oh no! I'm so sad to hear about this. I had no idea he had cancer.

You could always count on Mike's presence on SSS. He was a fount of knowledge and an ever friendly voice.

And a lover of bluegrass and folk, if I recall correctly.

His NAMM reports were continually an important source of perceptive news and info.

I will miss him.

RIP, Mike.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Neither did I. I assume because it didn't relate to audio and music, he wasn't going to talk about it in a place dedicated to audio and music. I think he may not have realized that people cared about him as a person, not just a teacher and associate.

You could always count on Mike's presence on SSS. He was a fount of knowledge and an ever friendly voice.

And a lover of bluegrass and folk, if I recall correctly.

Yes, he recorded and listened to bluegrass and folk almost exclusively. Regrettably, I never once heard his recordings or anything that he did musically.

Sad to hear the news. I first met Mike about 20 years ago when he scored me some tickets to NAMM as I was transitioning between music store owner and music manufacturing. We met up at every NAMM since. He could always give me a head start there as he had a way of finding the hidden gems there. It was always a pleasure and I will miss him.