Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Volume Pedal Suggestions?

I am looking for a stereo volume pedal for my Korg Module sounds. Tried the Boss FV30L and loved the size, but hated the non-linear sweep. Now considering the Boss 500L. It"s huge but it has a much more linear sweep.

Any other suggestions?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for a stereo volume pedal for my Korg Module sounds. Tried the Boss FV30L and loved the size, but hated the non-linear sweep. Now considering the Boss 500L. It"s huge but it has a much more linear sweep.

Any other suggestions?

Conceptually, I've used something like this for the past 20 years: Link. I built my own as purchased ones typically have leads that are only 6"-12" in length, I needed double that length, so I just purchased the jacks, microphone cable and built my own. I've done this with a multitude of keyboard combinations. I've even had instances where one keyboard uses the Roland specs and one keyboard uses the Yamaha spec; in those cases I add the ashby adapter to the end that needs to be converted; never had an issue in 20 years and allows me to use one expression pedal to control two keyboards.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Using the right adapters and such between the ipad or module: I've found using Midi Volume to be better as you can use any pedal. Also don't have to worry about scratchy pots etc.

When that's not possible, and need to pass real audio. have had good luck with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FCV100-Ultra-Flexible-Dual-Mode-Modulation/dp/B0002KYXTM. It can also be used as CV pedal. It's cheap, heavy duty and feels pretty much like a Yamaha Fc7.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I used to have a Roland EV5 which was reasonable but recently changed it for the Yamaha FC-7 and the difference in quality is big. The Yamaha pedal is built like a tank and is substantially heavier. The action of the pedal is way better. The Roland pedal feels like a toy in comparison.

My cheap-o Nektar pedal failed at last night"s gig and had to pull out my backup Roland EV-5â¦bleck. Such a short throw and such a small section of that even does anything with the VR09. The Nektar while being one of the least expensive pedals on the market, has proved to be the most compatible with the blatantly quirky VR09.

I"ve been wanting to try the fairly inexpensive Moog offering, but then stumbled across Boss"s wireless midi thingieâ¦ooh this might be a real gem for various set-ups. Still looks like a pretty shallow throw, though.

'Wonder how long they"ll be on back order?

Boss EV-1WL wireless midi expression pedal

I like the low impedance Ernie ball stereo pedals. They can be used as traditional analog volume control, or can be used as an expression pedal with a breakout cable. Eve though the pot is 25k vs 10k in a traditional expression pedal, the difference is negligable for my use. They are solid and don't move around on the floor. My other favorite is the Boss FV 500L. Also solid metal, and can be used either as a stereo volume or expression. The expression pot is 10k if that is a necessity.

I used to have a Roland EV5 which was reasonable but recently changed it for the Yamaha FC-7 and the difference in quality is big. The Yamaha pedal is built like a tank and is substantially heavier. The action of the pedal is way better. The Roland pedal feels like a toy in comparison.

I recently replaced my EV5 with one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KEP100

The On-Stage KEP100 has a longer throw than the EV5, and more of that throw actually effects the volume. Still a cheap-ish plastic pedal, but I like it a lot better than the EV5.

The EV5 also has a long history of going south on me... besides my still working one, I have 3 more of them (not working) stuffed away in a closet. Never bothered to get them repaired because the cost of doing so would be more than the cost of a new pedal. That's why I looked for an alternative. We'll see how long the KEP100 lasts.

Also didn't go with FC-7 because the polarity is opposite of what I need (Roland compatibility, which works with Kurzweil and others), and didn't want to deal with polarity reversing cables.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

The EV5 also has a long history of going south on me... besides my still working one, I have 3 more of them (not working) stuffed away in a closet. Never bothered to get them repaired because the cost of doing so would be more than the cost of a new pedal.

They do not work at all? Perhaps just a broken cable or plug de-soldered. The other possible thing is the potentiometer gone bad but there is nothing else to an expression pedal. Perhaps it is worth borrowing a soldering iron.

The EV5 also has a long history of going south on me... besides my still working one, I have 3 more of them (not working) stuffed away in a closet. Never bothered to get them repaired because the cost of doing so would be more than the cost of a new pedal.

They do not work at all? Perhaps just a broken cable or plug de-soldered. The other possible thing is the potentiometer gone bad but there is nothing else to an expression pedal. Perhaps it is worth borrowing a soldering iron.

Two of them don't work at all, and one of them is "dodgy"... if I tug on the cord a little, it comes back to life, and then dies again. I suspect it's a soldering issue. Although I could probably do the repairs myself, I just don't have the time. I know a local electronics guy who would do it... but again, for the same $ (or more) than the cost of a new one.

In any case, I'm happy with my new KEP100. Let's see if this one lasts.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M