Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JX-08

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I don"t need this I do want this it do want this I do want this I do want this I do want this I do want this I want this bad I want this bad I want this bad I want this bad I want this bad I want this bad I want this bad I must get one I must get one I must get one I must get one I must get one I must get one I must get oneâ¦DOH!

They are collector pieces. Hardware versions of their software replicas that offer a taste of the originals but take up very little space. Sound toys with smurf size controls. :) Cute and fun.

For big keys and controls running their best Zenology replicas you have to pony up for Jupiter X or Fantom. Or use whatever synth you have with Zenology for Roland Cloud.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I sold my MKS-70 last year. Was never going to get more money for it than I did at that time. I'll be buying one of these.

I also sold my JD-990, but I'm on the fence about the other one.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I sold my MKS-70 last year. Was never going to get more money for it than I did at that time. I'll be buying one of these.

I also sold my JD-990, but I'm on the fence about the other one.

Ya, the envelope, filter and filter sliders on the JD are very small. Curious how functional they really are.

Polyphony not listed in the specs. Is it 8 or did they cut it in half like the JP-08?

Anyway you guys go for it. As for me, it would be something I'd play around with for a few days, and then put in a drawer somewhere - never to be seen again.

The polyphony on these new units is pretty good, I believe⦠possibly 128? The sequencer is limited to 4 note Poly I think. But to get higher poly on this hardware the synth modeling (JX) is AMB rather than ACB or Zenology. The JD is PCM anyway, so not the same scenario.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The brilliance of Roland marketing is knowing there is a generation of us who grew up with the originals. Nostalgia sells.

Despite the fact that we can get the exact same sounds out of a Jupiter or Fantom, the boutiques have an appeal because 1) they replicate the tactility of the originals albeit on a micro scale and 2) they are relatively cheap in comparison.

I just hope Roland doesn't bring back the S50 or W30 or V-Synth on steroids. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I love these because I used to work with them in the old days and sometimes I miss them. It's not sentiment, it's a cost-effective and compact way to get these sounds back in my life on the occasions when I want them.

I found and bought a used JX-03 after I wrote about the JX-3P in my book, and I love the silly thing like I loved the original. None of the others interested me very much other than maybe the SH-01A, but I love the JD-800 so much that I want a JD-08 desperately, especially since it's unlikely to be as fragile and unreliable as the original. I worked in a band with a JX-8P player for years, but I don't know if that one trips my trigger the same way.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I liked how they stopped wasting panel space with the pitch/mod ribbons. I still wish the form factor was bigger, though. I have stubby fingers and these panels take away from the experience. The increased polyphony from the original models is a relief too.

Once I move to my house next year I'll have more space (dedicated studio), may pick up both (or just the JD) just for fun.

Would like some kind of custom support to keep these boutiques better organized. I've seen some cool concepts online.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

If it can be a programmer for the JX-10/MKS-70 they'll sell a bunch of them.

You're aware that there is an iPad app that duplicates the original PG programmers? I agree a physical surface is better, but I thought they did a good job with those.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Two things I'm wondering.

1. Actual polyphony? If it's as high as predicted above that's fantastic. They describe it as having "expanded polyphony" over the original JX, so that should be a good sign.

2. Since they added full-size MIDI ports, why not full-size audio outputs?

Otherwise I really like this product. Don't need it right now but this could be a fun piece of gear in the future. Very happy that they now have full-size midi jacks, and the audio interface is nice. As is the ability to be powered over USB-C.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The JX-8P was my first synth, acquired after saving up a lot of money as a new wave fanatic as a teenager. I couldn't afford Nick Rhodes' JP-8 and I almost bought a Juno-106, though I took a chance on the JX-8P for a slightly higher investment, to get the dual osc and touch sensitive keyboard. I still have my original and very careworn JX-8P with PG-800, which lived many years on the road and still works just fine...maybe a wobbly key here and there, with lots of cosmetic blemishes. Awesome synth and part of my history as a keyboard player.

I have had a love/hate relationship with Roland Boutiques, having owned many of them over the years, only to realize that I wasn't really using them and deciding to sell them. I think I'll get a JX-08 for nostalgia alone. I'm really interested to learn about its actual polyphony, a spec that seems to be artfully glossed over in the limited info I've seen online. I think it could be a good contender to add to the External section of my NS3.

1. Actual polyphony? .

Sadly it is only four. The original JX-8P is six.

According to this video's description, it has expanded polyphony "compared to the original hardware". There's also this comment exchange which seems to indicate it's 20-voice polyphonic:

JX03.png

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The JD-08 has 128-voice polyphony! Though as usual for Roland it's probably split across tones/partials.

JD03.png

The JD-08 has 128-voice polyphony! Though as usual for Roland it's probably split across tones/partials.

I'll be curious to see if the JX-08 has the same polyphony spec as the JD-08.

Edit: Never mind, I see earlier in the thread about 20 voice polyphony for JX-08.

If you are like me and can't stomach demos on the toy sized keyboard, here's a couple vids using full size keys!! (yes, yes, I know the sound is the same, but damn those tiny keys kill it for me)

The much better voice count is appealing. It makes them more useful in a practical sense. I wouldn't fight with them as an ongoing thing at my advanced synth-age, but they'd be great emergency modules for covering several situations. I'm deep in The Box instrument-wise, so I'm mainly just amused. Look, its Dick Tracy's two-way wrist synthesizers.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese