Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VB 3M

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I'd expect the MIDI zones of a controller to have a parameter for octave shift and/or a transpose function that could cover the 12 semitones, but surprisingly, some Rolands (including RD88) don't seem to have that. I suppose you could run an app like Keystage to take your RD88 input, octave shift it, and send it to VB3m...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't think so, but you could probably buy AUM for 20$ and run VB3m from there with all the above mentioned capabilities (transpose etc). If you run it as a standalone app, I think there's no transpose button and you will have to adjust the internal piano sounds to the existing octave range of the app
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Normally I'd expect the MIDI zones of a controller to have a parameter for octave shift and/or a transpose function that could cover the 12 semitones, but surprisingly, some Rolands (including RD88) don't seem to have that. I suppose you could run an app like Keystage to take your RD88 input, octave shift it, and send it to VB3m...?

Scott, you are right on about the RD88. The first thing I tried was shifting the octave in the zone playing VB3M. Unlike the internal sounds, It had no effect.

I haven"t tried Keystage yet but I have AUM and was able to transpose it there and it worked when I brought up the keyboard box within AUM but the RD ignores it and the organ is still an octave below the piano when layered.

My workaround might be to transpose the Roland piano down but I lose the higher end of the piano and makes it very awkward if I want to quickly go back and forth from organ to piano. So far that"s all I can think of. Or buy a Crummar Mojo desktop. I"m trying to avoid the expensive solution.

This is a question for those using and familiar with VB 3M iOS app. Is there a way to transpose it up or down an octave?

I"m playing it from a Roland RD 88 and when I have organ layered over a piano sound I want them to be the same octave range.

Another thought (and as an example): 008880000 and striking the keys is one octave higher than 888000000 and striking the same keys; so adjust your drawbars and you've effectively raised the sound an octave.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

This is a question for those using and familiar with VB 3M iOS app. Is there a way to transpose it up or down an octave?

I"m playing it from a Roland RD 88 and when I have organ layered over a piano sound I want them to be the same octave range.

Another thought (and as an example): 008880000 and striking the keys is one octave higher than 888000000 and striking the same keys; so adjust your drawbars and you've effectively raised the sound an octave.

Absolutely. I"ve tried that and that is a good workaround for certain songs. But when I want a draw bars all out Gospel type jam the missing bottom draw bars are quite noticeable. But this idea and dropping the octave of the piano are decent work around for now.

Hope the octave shift gets added to a VB3M update sometime soon.

I haven"t tried Keystage yet but I have AUM and was able to transpose it there and it worked when I brought up the keyboard box within AUM but the RD ignores it and the organ is still an octave below the piano when layered.

I don't know AUM, but something sounds wrong there. I mean, sure the RD ignores it, the stuff you're doing in AUM shouldn't affect the RD at all, and it doesn't matter, because you don't want to change anything in the RD. You want the RD to send the zoned MIDI notes to AUM, AUM to octave shift them, and then AUM sends the modified MIDI to VB3m. This sounds like a routing issue, that you still have VB3m receiving input from the RD when you actually want to shut that down and only have it receive input from AUM. I think this should be possible. If not, try Keystage (free to try). But I suspect you need to either play with what AUM is sending or what VB3m is receiving.

The mentioned alternatives of shfiting your internal piano sound or altering your drawbar registrations can be useful workarounds in some cases, but I'd be very surprised if you could not get exactly what you want by processing the MIDI in the iPad/iPhone.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)