Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Nice home office. I could never get any work done in there surrounded by all that gear calling my name! Very nice indeed!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Full Keyboard Gear List for PHOTO # 1 :

ââââââââââââââââââ

ROLAND JUPITER-X & JUNO DS-88

BEHRINGER POLY-D & ODYSSEY

SEQUENTIAL PROPHET-5 (Rev.4)

VISCOUNT LEGEND LIVE ORGAN

('Joey DeFrancesco Signature Edition")

MELLOTRON M4000D

Full List of Rack Gear : (Top to Bottom)

ââââââââââââââââââ-

FURMAN PL-PLUS C Power-Conditioner

BEHRINGER Model D

KORG 01R/W and KORG M1R

ROLAND D-550 & YAMAHA TX802

FURMAN PL-PLUS C Power-Conditioner

YAMAHA MG 20XU Rack Line-Mixer

YAMAHA P3500S Power-Amplifier

• 2 months later...

My view for the next 4 hours:

I'm finally gigging again after a long break. This is the rig with everything on one stand - Halloween show we have an opener and only 30 min to swap out the stage (bet me that slips). Anyways I can assemble and wire it all in the wings and takes two guys to carry it on and place it.

• Ultimate Support "Tinker-Toy" construction
  • Custom 3D-Printed Kronos end panels
  • Custom 3D-Printed Laptop holder
  • Quick disconnect pedalboard snake

LF+ Mini foot controller sends MIDI PC's to Cantabile, which sets up all the sounds, splits, layers, and controller routings for each song.

The Forte is used just as a controller 95% of the time (hence "Silent Program"), I currently only use two Kurzweil patches - both are EPs.

RR_Rig.png

RR_Rig01.png

RR_Rig02.png

RR_Rig03.png

RR_Rig04.png

RR_Rig05.png

RR_Rig06.png

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

...Who needs a fireplace anyway? :laugh:

HA!!

That's the basement fireplace, D². It never gets used. :P

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• 2 weeks later...

Was a hired gun for a big record release show this past weekend, the solo debut from the singer of a very well-established local band (with whom I've also done a couple of stints on keyboards). It was a sold-out show in a roughly 350-person theater, big sound/light/stage crew, the works, so I decided to do the thing I said I wasn't going to keep doing so much and went A Little Extra.

Photos of the rig attached -- Yamaha CP88 for acoustic and electric piano (plus a synth pad for one Genesis cover that pushed the limits of even this rig), Novation Ultranova for lead synth (including the talkbox stuff), Nord Electro 4D for samples (clavinet, Mellotron strings/flutes, and saw pads), Roli Seaboard Block Bluetoothed to an iPad (for some expressive "flute" leads on two of the tunes), and my Crumar Mojo XT for Hammond... which I ran through (I can't believe I did this) my Leslie 147 (it actually fit in the back of my car, and there was a crew to help lift it onto the stage!).

A pretty hefty rig, but the gig had a lot of simple parts utilizing varied textures song to song, and it made my life a lot easier to have a breadth of sounds I could grab at any time, rather than complicated patch changes dominating each tune. The new music we were performing live was very much created "in the box" with a lot of electronic sounds and Production rather than a band, and the Nord was really handy to have for some drone parts that came in and out of the recorded arrangements -- I used a latching footswitch and a volume pedal to bring some open fifths in and out during some songs without having to take my hands away from more prominent parts. That's a trick I learned from Benmont Tench; he used to do it with the synth parts on Running Down a Dream so he could keep both hands on the piano. I also got to get a little cozier than I had been with the modeled tape delay on the CP88 for a few of the songs.

And hey, even by my massive rig standards, this one still had the advantage of being all digital!

Well, except for the Leslie. What am I, a philistine? :wink:

2445.thumb.jpg.493f4a62a59d4a18447a326bedd3b3e3.jpg

2446.thumb.jpg.1eb3d2abacdcee0a676b5c9fbc1cdd1d.jpg

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Was a hired gun for a big record release show this past weekend, the solo debut from the singer of a very well-established local band (with whom I've also done a couple of stints on keyboards). It was a sold-out show in a roughly 350-person theater, big sound/light/stage crew, the works, so I decided to do the thing I said I wasn't going to keep doing so much and went A Little Extra.

Photos of the rig attached -- Yamaha CP88 for acoustic and electric piano (plus a synth pad for one Genesis cover that pushed the limits of even this rig), Novation Ultranova for lead synth (including the talkbox stuff), Nord Electro 4D for samples (clavinet, Mellotron strings/flutes, and saw pads), Roli Seaboard Block Bluetoothed to an iPad (for some expressive "flute" leads on two of the tunes), and my Crumar Mojo XT for Hammond... which I ran through (I can't believe I did this) my Leslie 147 (it actually fit in the back of my car, and there was a crew to help lift it onto the stage!).

A pretty hefty rig, but the gig had a lot of simple parts utilizing varied textures song to song, and it made my life a lot easier to have a breadth of sounds I could grab at any time, rather than complicated patch changes dominating each tune. The new music we were performing live was very much created "in the box" with a lot of electronic sounds and Production rather than a band, and the Nord was really handy to have for some drone parts that came in and out of the recorded arrangements -- I used a latching footswitch and a volume pedal to bring some open fifths in and out during some songs without having to take my hands away from more prominent parts. That's a trick I learned from Benmont Tench; he used to do it with the synth parts on Running Down a Dream so he could keep both hands on the piano. I also got to get a little cozier than I had been with the modeled tape delay on the CP88 for a few of the songs.

And hey, even by my massive rig standards, this one still had the advantage of being all digital!

Rock star rig. So cool!

That is indeed a cool rig. And your post drives home my reasoning behind taking a multi-board rig to the gig, it gives you options that can be right under your fingers, not having to be mapped to program changes/layers/splits. With a rig like yours, you want organ, you reach for the organ, etc. Anyway, sounds like a very fun gig!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Looks like you're more of a Boba Fett fan I think.

Awesome rig! Thanks for sharing!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Here's the solo live rig these days for 3/4 of the year. The remaining 1/4 of the year (summer) is the same gear with the PC4 swapped out for a Motif XF8 and the MX61 swapped out for a Krome 61 with a Z-stand.

IMG-3046.jpg

IMG-3051.jpg

Kurzweil PC4, Yamaha MX61, Yamaha DTX 2.0 module + silent kick pedal, Line6 M13 multi-effects unit (for the accordion), Yamaha MG10XU mixer to hook it all together. Plus my Titano accordion. No midi, using each board standalone.

For band gigs without accordion or the need for a kick drum this is the setup 3/4 of the year (as above, swap the PC4->Motif XF8 and MX61->Korg Krome for summer and a Z-stand).

IMG-2309.jpg

Gig-top-rig.png

The MX61 and PC4 are midi'd together at all times. I stay in Multi mode (well, I use QA mode) and after a surprisingly long amount of programming time, I can get them to talk to each other well. The PC4 sends program changes on channels 1 and 2 to the MX that either select a silent program on the MX (for when it's being used as a controller) or the appropriate sound on channel 1 to be played from the MX, and either a silent program (for when I don't want to trigger the MX from the PC4) or the appropriate sound on channel 2 to be played from the PC4 keybed. Yamaha and Kurzweil have very different ways of selecting sounds over MIDI which was very annoying to have to figure out without much in way of instructions anywhere. Not to mention the entry and exit values for every single multi. But it works once it's set. I get most sounds from the PC4, with some strings and most pads and synth/electric basses from the MX61. Not as cool as Sam's rig above but it works for what I need.

IMG-2299.jpg

I have this little 2u rack on the side that houses a half-rack power supply and an FMC RNC 1773 Really Nice Compressor (set as a limiter) for my headphone monitoring.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

5GhYfp.md.jpg

5Gha0N.md.jpg

My setup is simple and clean:

- Nord stage 3 compact (Piano, strings, organ that is played from NW2, setlist)

- Nord Wave 2 (Midi controller to Stage, all needed samples, synth stuff with splits)

- selfmade mixer attached to the side (not visible) for headphone mixing and FOH mixing

- The red box on top is to control the lighting)

- iPad for chords and backingtracks

- Wired in ear

next gig: buy black tape and the drummers need to get a black flying carpet

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

Nice rig. Thanks for posting. Although these pics make me a little jumpy thinking about how busy you must be during these solo gigs. Lots of devices to keep track of. Lots of parts to play.

What is the purpose of each mic. One vocal? One accordion?? And I see at least a third mic.

Here's the solo live rig these days for 3/4 of the year. The remaining 1/4 of the year (summer) is the same gear with the PC4 swapped out for a Motif XF8 and the MX61 swapped out for a Krome 61 with a Z-stand.

IMG-3046.jpg

IMG-3051.jpg

Kurzweil PC4, Yamaha MX61, Yamaha DTX 2.0 module + silent kick pedal, Line6 M13 multi-effects unit (for the accordion), Yamaha MG10XU mixer to hook it all together. Plus my Titano accordion. No midi, using each board standalone.

Nice rig. Thanks for posting. Although these pics make me a little jumpy thinking about how busy you must be during these solo gigs. Lots of devices to keep track of. Lots of parts to play.

What is the purpose of each mic. One vocal? One accordion?? And I see at least a third mic.

IMG-3046.jpg

IMG-3051.jpg

At most I end up playing the accordion, one keyboard plus pedals, and kick pedal at once, and sometimes switching FX on and off with the other foot. It's not that bad in terms of multi-tasking. Although I'm also used to it as well lol.

The center mic is for vocals. The mic on the right side is for the treble side of the accordion, and is run through the M13 unit. The mic on the left side is for the bass side of the accordion. With the accordion sound comes out of two different spots and the left/bass side moves so mic placement is critical. I usually pan moderately left/right to match as well.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Okay, settle in, if you're so inclined...

Updating my post #3081166 from earlier this year... I tinker with the setup with some frequency, things end up coming and going out of my main working setup, just for particular projects, or wanting to compare things, or to try out some different 2 or 3 board combinations from within some group, whatever. But I was struck by something unusual in the setup I'd put together a few days ago...

IMG-8332.jpg

...what I noticed is that I'd somehow managed to assemble a combination of boards that didn't include a single entry from any of the big three... no Korg, Roland, or Yamaha! Certainly not out of any aversion to those boards... I've probably bought more boards from Korg than anyone else, and I've probably done more gigs with a Yamaha in the setup than any other brand. So it was weird to not see any of them here. And I knew I'd be swapping some of them in as needed, and the swapping of things around always turns into a bit of a project.

So last night I decided to remedy the situation with a major overhaul, that would reduce my board swapping...

IMG-8364.jpg

Bottom to top, on the left it's a Casio PX-320, Kurzweil PC4-7, and Roland AX-Edge; in the center the Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK Pro, and Korg PA1000; and on the right, it's a Dexibell P3, Nord C1, and Nord Lead 3.

But wait, there's more! What was still missing? A place to put assorted sound modules. Hence an added platform on the top left...

IMG-8375.jpg

I think I've approached keyboard nirvana! (Well, for modern lightweight gear, anyway.) Or, maybe keyboard ridiculousness.

Yes, there's lots of keyboard redundancy here...

... I've got two hammer action pianos. The Casio has the full 88 keys, one of my very favorite actions, and is slim enough that I the keys from the board above can be very close to its own keys, which I like. Although it's an old model, it's a relatively recent acquisition, and it has some operational features I really like. I also intend to see how it feels playing some pianos and such from the iPad. The Dexibell, as I've recently discussed elsewhere, has terrific speakers, has a good range of high quality sounds (including the ability to load soundfonts), and feels surprisingly like playing a real piano. For a lot of gigs where I'm bringing a hammer action board, either would do, but there are times when one or the other would work better. (The Dexibell is what I'd use for playing dolo/duo ceremony/cocktail stuff for example.)

... I've got two organs there. The Nord gives me the dual manuals, and one of the things I want to play with is getting the LEDs to sync up with B3X (I also have Ocean Beach drawbars there for the times I want to grab controls). While it's probably the lightest 2-manual board around (33 lbs), I look at this as probably more of a "special occasion" board. The Hammond is much lighter, offers a whole bunch of non-organ rompler-style sounds AND a knobby mono lead synth. So again, they offer some very different things despite the redundancy.

... And I've got FOUR full-function rompler-style boards. The PC4-7 is my current crush... it just does a ton in a lighweight nice-feeling 76-key board with aftertouch. The PA1000 has the built-in speakers and drum/accompaniment stuff, which I haven't really played with, but could have more use for in the future. The AX-Edge is super light (but too big!) and, well, it's a keytar. The MODX7 is a board I'm just really comfortable with, I know my way around it more than the other two (though I'm still no expert on it by any means). On paper, the MODX is the most dispensable of the three (the Kurz has more features, the Korg has the speakers/arranger stuff, the Roland has the keytar use and lightest weight, and all three of those even have aftertouch), but somehow, I still end up coming back to it a bunch. I can get around it for patch management the easiest. I don't know how much of that is that it really is better there, vs. just my greater familiarity with it. As for sound, each probably has some sounds that I like better than their equivalents on the other boards. One of the things I'd like to find the time to do is try to get one board's "x" sound to sound closer to my favorite version of it if that resides on some other board, whether by tweaking its programming, or possibly via some sampling of one into another. (The Roland is the only one that doesn't take custom sampled instruments.)

Since there's a side discussion going on about what you bring to different gigs, I'll join in on that, too. No, I'm never going to bring all these boards to a gig. ;-)

... At the moment, with the band I play with most often, I'd probably bring one of the two hammer action boards and the PC4-7. So that's essentially the bottom two boards on the left, and having them set up that way in this studio setup allows me to run things on that board combination just as they would be at the gig (though the two hammer action boards are almost interchangeable for this purpose, and depending on other factors, I might choose to use either of them, as discussed in the redundancy department).

... For another band, with much more minimal keyboard needs (they do most of their gigs with no keyboard player at all), I would use the PC4-7 on bottom with the AX-Edge above, and yup, actually wear and only play the Edge for much of the gig (but the Kurz is still there for some songs that could really use something more than what I could do on the Edge alone, and because I always like backup anyway). Again, this studio setup allows me to run stuff with that combination "in place," Edge over PC4-7.

... Although I haven't done this yet, for my occasional unplugged (i.e. no drummer) duo/trio stuff, I'd probably use the PA1000 on top for a combination of drums and other sounds, over the Dexibell if the gig is quiet enough that I can just use the internal speakers of the two boards, or if I'm amplifying, maybe one of the hammer 88s but maybe the PC4-7.

... For another band, which rarely plays out but is the most fun, I'll bring more boards. It's the classic/prog rock thing. I'm not sure what I'd go for... but my "foundation" for that is usually the classic kind of thing I did on the right... piano on bottom, organ in the middle, synth on top. I'm not sure I'd gig with the double manual organ in there (as much as I like two manuals), I might swap in the smaller/lighter and also sonically more flexible SK Pro. I've usually done this kind of gig with another couple of "do it all" keyboards opposite, so maybe I'd put two of my four romplers opposite. Though I might stick with "four high" on one side... not as visually dramatic, but takes a lot less space. It's tough to do four while keeping everything in reach, of course, but if you've got boards that are not too deep nor too high, it's not impossible. In fact, with the Nord C1 in the middle, that stack on the right really does have 4 keyboards... with MIDI and even just an iPad, I could have one of those organ manuals do double duty as a general rompler-type board as well. There was also a nice 4-high stack on the left in my earlier post #3081166 (bottom to top, that was a Privia, Vox Continental, Nord Stage 3, and Nord Lead 3). And here's another I put together once, though it was really more of "proof of concept," and not a setup I actually used.

IMG-2314.jpg

Getting back to my main pic, now that I think of it, if I actually gigged with the Nord C1 between an 88 and a synth, I'd probably make the 88 the Casio instead of the Dexibell, just for the greater compactness which is more beneficial on a 4-board stack than a 3. But I'm done for now. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So this is it for me these days, although I have two more hardware instruments stashed away (perhaps to be sold). My wife and I downsized a couple of years ago, and I no longer play out, so this is seriously everything I need. Additionally, after many years of sequencing and composing, I've spent most of my keyboard time in recent years simply playing and improvising, hoping to get the most out of my aging fingers and hands (arthritis, carpal tunnel, and a broken thumb a few years back).

I mostly play acoustic and electric piano sounds, as well as guitars and strings/orchestral patches, and the Montage has a wide variety of great-sounding options. For more synthetic soundscapes, I depend upon my software instruments - mostly Omnisphere and Diva. The Montage 8's weighted keyboard is also wonderful, although I tend to prefer the ivory-like feel of the higher-end Roland instruments, although I've only tried those briefly in stores.

Lastly, although I enjoy the sound, musicality, and value of the JBL monitors, I would love to replace them with Adam A7Xs at some point.

IMG_2569.jpeg

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest rig setup. The Casio MZ-X500, on top the PX-560, is the latest aquisition. I fabricated a three-pedal module from the Casio PX-560 stand.

Sold three old keyboards this year - I wasn't playing them anymore. Minimizing clutter pays dividends (until the old ones become collector items in 20 years).

Keyboard-Rig-2021-Smaller.jpg

Steve Coscia

Hello Everyone, long time fan of this forum. Just thought I would finally join and share some pictures of my gear since I recently picked up a Nautilus 61 to pair with my old and battered CP4 (just like it"s owner) for live use. Thanks again for all the useful, not so useful and usually funny posts over the years â¦

Gear list

1977 Farfisa (dual manual electronic organ with rhythm)

Yamaha E423 PSR

Yamaha CP 4

Baldwin 243 Hamilton Upright

Casio GP 310

Korg Nautilus 61

Traynor block 12 amp

I loud micro monitors

Boss rt 20 rotary pedal

Yamaha FC 4 and 7 pedals

+ whatever I forgot to mentionâ¦

2525.jpg.9ae74893ca9392c78c03e1aefde99b83.jpg

2526.jpg.49e6e15844ae927cf9d4668fd6866001.jpg

Welcome, 'kid! None of the second group was updated down, but sideways OTOH⦠;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI