Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

KeyboardPartner has a new US service center:

McIntosh Audio Service

Michael McIntosh

1485 Parkway Dr NW

Salem, OR 97304

01-503-931-7577

McIntosh Audio Service is also authorized service center for Crumar and Viscount.

Thanks to LX88 for providing this contact.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

During PM chat with Christian he mentioned the HX3 has a bit of multi contact effect.

My HX3 triggers differently than the Mojo module I recently acquired.

I am definitely hearing the percussion responding differently on the HX3 than the Mojo....in a good way.

You can hear it when you lightly tap the key. When you lightly tap a chord you can definitely hear it. Very nice....

Since I got the CV more dialed in....am getting great results with HX3 now. Have backed CV mix off a bit...even since posting new settings.

Sure took a long time though..like 5 plus years.

LX88, I recently stumbled across this video from May 2011. It demonstrates how HX3 (then called HOAX) works with a multi-contact keyboard (from 0:18). That was real nine contacts under each key like the real thing:

Making such a keyboard is very expensive, and in fact you don't need to make this effort. HX3 today works with nine (in H100 mode even twelve) virtual contacts. They close one after another with uneven spacing, varying randomly, partly modulated by velocity if available, bouncing like real contact springs. In normal play, the keyclick that results is exactly the one you wan to hear.

This is interesting

Not wild about the musical style ....once again we might have to get some better demos.

Since I made changes to my CV I hear the percussion having a slightly different attack than the drawbars tones.

Hard to describe but other clonewheels don't seem to have the same effect.My controller is touch sensitive....

BTW I use slow decay percussion mostly.

And also....heads up on Mc Intosh audio for all keyboard repair needs.

His rates are very reasonable and he is great to work with

We hope to see a few HX3 conversions coming through. Michael works with me on some of my rental instruments...he is a tremendous support.

• 2 weeks later...

News from KeyboardPartner:

We would like to inform you about the following innovations that we have introduced since the last newsletter:

HX3.5 Manager

The HX3.5 Manager contains all software tools for your HX3.5 device in one clear application:

The Panel contains switches and drawbars for your HX3 device. In the panel window you can adjust sounds and effects, create, name and save presets. You can also recall presets live using the function keys on your PC keyboard.

The Preset Mover makes it easy to manage presets. It lets you try out, move, and rename presets. You can transfer presets from a file to the HX3 device or save them to a file.

The Editor lets you set up the HX3.5 for all conceivable hardware configurations, gives you access to all available parameters, and lets you fine-tune sounds and effects.

With the CC Set Editor you can edit the MIDI CC Sets of the HX3, create CC Sets or load them from a file from your PC. This allows you to get the most out of your keyboard controller, even if none of the included CC Sets fit right away.

The Updater updates the operating software of your HX3 device entirely in an automatic process or individual selected parts. Use the Updater also to activate an Extended License or to change the username.

You can find the HX3.5 Manager together with the current firmware version 5.655 for download on our update server. Please also download the user manual from the "Manuals" directory.

KeyboardPartner update server

Firmware version 5.655 comes with many improvements:

More punchy bass due to complex tonewheels in the lowest 16' pedal octave

More expressive keyclick modeled after a recapped B3 (optional)

Refined tapering

Keyclick on pedal

Chorus/vibrato and rotary effect optionally on pedal

Pedal can be linked to lower manual

Perc ON triggers percussion on held notes

GAIN setting optionally volume compensated

Keyboard split functions also for HX3 Expander and HX3 Drawbar Expander

Many more improvements and bug fixes can be found documented in the changelog on our update server.

HX3.5 MPX-Bus

The MPX-Bus is good news for all organ builders, because it drastically simplifies the connection of analog controls to the HX3.5 mainboard. Whereas previously a maximum of 24 analog inputs could be used, 64 drawbars and rotary potentiometers can now be connected to the mainboard via a single 10-pin ribbon cable.

Drawbar boards and potentiometers are simply connected in any sequence. With the editor in the HX3.5 Manager you can assign any analog function to any control element independent of its position in the chain.

We have extended our product range at the same time with various MPX components:

Drawbar boards in various sizes and configurations, for example also for H100-type drawbar sets with mixed harmonics or ADSR drawbars for the organ types that use the EG mode.

Potentiometer boards in various designs for example for volume, gain and EQ controls. Potentiometer knobs in different variants.

A versatile MPX board with 8 analog inputs for connecting built-in potentiometers, drawbars, pitch/modulation wheels and other analog controls.

We have also added high-quality rotary potentiometers to the range.

Also new to the range is the Extend16 digital interface board, to which up to 16 pushbuttons or switches can be connected. HX3.5 allows a total of up to 64 switch functions, which can be assigned as desired using the editor. Extend16 is also suitable to replace Preset16 if you want to use your own buttons or switches. This is also an innovation of the current firmware version.

• 3 months later...

Actually, Crumar calls the device "D9X".

For those who miss the HX3 drawbar controller, the Crumar D9X is a good alternative. I have checked it and made a HX3.5 CC set.

To connect the Crumar D9X to the HX3.5 you need a cable with 3.5mm stereo jack on one side and the usual 5pin DIN plug on the other side, which Crumar does not include. Such cables are commercially available, however most of the cheap cables e.g. from Amazon are not wired correctly. The required wiring (Crumar calls it "Type 2") is this:

DIN plug pin 2 (ground) to sleeve

DIN plug pin 4 to tip

DIN plug pin 5 to ring

The matching HX3.5 CC set can now be found here: http://updates.keyboardpartner.de/Files/?dir=Current%20Firmware/User%20contributed

Nice to see developments on the HX3.5. I am still curious...I obviously still have HX3 and have only heard 3.5 briefly.

I did do one interesting thing though. I connected HX3 to a Viscount Legend Live and used the HX3 for percussion only.

I wanted to hear what a relatively good leslie sim sounds like with percussion not involved in the leslie sim spin.

I have to say I really liked it....particularly if you us slow percussion decay.

The overdrive on Legend sounds way better if percussion not involved too. It tends to get shrill on third harmonic.

In my experience the effect on percussion is the achilles heel of just about all of the leslie sims I have experienced.

The HX3 has excellent percussion by the way.

For those who miss the HX3 drawbar controller, the Crumar D9X is a good alternative. I have checked it and made a HX3.5 CC set.

To connect the Crumar D9X to the HX3.5 you need a cable with 3.5mm stereo jack on one side and the usual 5pin DIN plug on the other side, which Crumar does not include. Such cables are commercially available, however most of the cheap cables e.g. from Amazon are not wired correctly. The required wiring (Crumar calls it "Type 2") is this:

DIN plug pin 4 to tip

DIN plug pin 5 to ring

The matching HX3.5 CC set can now be found here: http://updates.keyboardpartner.de/Files/?dir=Current%20Firmware/User%20contributed

Hello Christian !

That´s all great news !

You mean THIS device ?

It´s called D9UX here and offers both, USB and MIDI-Out..

The other device would be D9U which is just only drawbars w/ USB.

In addition, I recognize the G.M.LAB product available @ MyRig Shop is way more expensice than the product @ Musicstore.

:)

A.C.

DIN plug pin 4 to tip

DIN plug pin 5 to ring

Hello Christian !

That´s all great news !

You mean THIS device ?

It´s called D9UX here and offers both, USB and MIDI-Out..

The other device would be D9U which is just only drawbars w/ USB.

In addition, I recognize the G.M.LAB product available @ MyRig Shop is way more expensice than the product @ Musicstore.

:)

A.C.

its advertised on the G.M. site as D9X. ".. D9X is the "extended" 9-drawbar controller, with all buttons and knobs that you need for full hands-on control of your clonewheel software or hardware module.."

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

You mean THIS device ?

Exactly. Crumar calls it D9X in the one-sheet manual that is included.

MIDI cable with 3.5mm plug, no jack of course. Sorry for my translation error.

Thx !

No error on your side,- I just only wanted to be sure if it´s exactly the same thing being available @Musicstore for that price incl. VAT.

Now, where you have the related controller mapping available too, it makes sense buying both, the HX3 expander module and D9UX,- at least for me.

A.C.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Gigs in smaller clubs, where there is no room for the 6 elements band on stage .

We found a good compromise with reduced group, and with a reduced sound impact.

Most of the times, as in the case of this video, the only PA system used is my Roland SA-1000 stereo amplifier.

The funny thing is that they generally ask us for an "acoustic" evening and we present ourselves with "Hammond-based" band and I use a sound that is close to what I use for the other Rock '70 group  🤣

15-year-old Hamichord as HX3 controller.

Motion Sound R3-147, an almost 25 year old "half Leslie" (small rotating microphoned horn, DSP for the digital simulation of the bass rotor, all closed in a 4 unit rack unit).

some examples - HX3 and MS R3-147

50 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Why arent you using the internal leslie of the HX3 module?

a real, physical rotating horn (despite the age of the project) is still better for my needs... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KRK said:

a real, physical rotating horn (despite the age of the project) is still better for my needs... 

Yeah, i used my Pro3T/LowPro  last summer on a gig for the first time in a long time, that band was very loud so I had to turn it up to keep up and it sounded harsh.  I used it for the first time at a recent gig with my other band which is not nearly as loud so I didnt have to push it; it sounded much better not being pushed.  Cant beat a good sim though for the convenience of setup and breakdown.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

18 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

Yeah, i used my Pro3T/LowPro  last summer on a gig for the first time in a long time, that band was very loud so I had to turn it up to keep up and it sounded harsh.  I used it for the first time at a recent gig with my other band which is not nearly as loud so I didnt have to push it; it sounded much better not being pushed.  Cant beat a good sim though for the convenience of setup and breakdown.

yes, I usually go with my Tube Amped Tornado rotary speaker (that is, in term of sound impact, more or less like a vintage 142/145 leslie), but for these small ("noiseless") stages it is not possible 🤣

• 9 months later...

I swear by this one, HX3 is ime the most comprehensive Hammond modelling module out there. I use it with a Native Instruments B4D drawbar controller, epic success!

To inform the previous poster, HX3 has various settings for the "cleanliness" of the organ, and you can make it pretty darn greasy if that's your cuppa! 😂

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro