Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billy Payne Commits 100% to�

⦠Little Feat. Also some hints of future releases from the archives. In fact, I just got an email today saying that the infamous Electrif Lycanthrope is being officially released for Record Store Day. See the quoted text below his message.

From his FB page [all errors are Monterey's OCR, not his. I tried to clean it up but might have missed some]

Commitment

I just completed the Doobie Brothers' 50th Anniversary Tour on October 29th. A

few weeks ago I let them know I would be committing 100% to Little Feat from here

on. I came to that decision not least because Little Feat has been brought into a

relationship with Vector Management in Nashville, headed by Ken Levitan, and our

day-to-day manager, Brian Penix. Ken has assembled a team of folks that will work

with our team, including Dick and Linda Bangham, Seth Rappaport, and Dennis

McNally, along with our friends and family. It is an extraordinary opportunity for all

of us. We could not be in more capable hands.

I leave the Doobies with some great memories, and, most importantly, lasting

friendships. Both bands go back a long way. They could not have been more

supportive of my return full time to Little Feat. My wife, Polly, and I are forever

grateful to them for allowing us a safe haven over the years, along with their

unwavering kindness. I truly enjoyed playing music with the gang. I congratulate

them on being admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. They are

unquestionably deserving of that honor.

Little Feat is now officially back and ready to tour. We can't wait. We are excited

about a world of music that is open to us to explore, perform, and share. That said,

I need to let everyone know that while we look forward to seeing everyone, we will

have to do it from the stage. Like the Doobie's tour, Little Feat will be in a Covid-free

bubble. We won't be able to visit with anyone on this tour. We simply can't afford

to bring things to a halt by anyone in the band or crew testing positive. I know most

of you will understand this position. My hope is next year will allow us the chance to

share a round of hugs. Until then, we'll give you everything we have from the stage.

We love you and want us all to be safe.

The future for Little Feat looks, and is, indeed, bright.

Look for reissues of our catalogue, previously unreleased historical recordings, and

new music from the band.

-- Bill Payne

Electrif Lycanthrope

In other exciting Feat News, the legendary 'Electrif Lycanthrope' Ultra-Sonic Studios show from 1974 is being officially released for the very first time via Rhino Records as a 2LP 180-gram vinyl or 1CD set. Remastered from the original pre-broadcast tapes and featuring artwork from D. Norsen Design, this Limited-Edition Package will be released exclusively as a part of Record Store Day Black Friday on November 26, 2021 at all fine, independent record stores. Check the Record Store Day website for a full list of retailers that will be carrying the release! More details about the vinyl release can be found HERE and CD details can be found HERE.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Doobies open for Steely Dan a couple years ago and was psyched when I saw that Bill was on keyboards. And then pissed an hour later after hardly hearing a note he had played. Don"t really understand how you can call yourself a professional sound person with such obvious problems.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I saw Doobies open for Steely Dan a couple years ago and was psyched when I saw that Bill was on keyboards. And then pissed an hour later after hardly hearing a note he had played. Don"t really understand how you can call yourself a professional sound person with such obvious problems.

Can't always blame the sound crew the Doobie should of had someone mixing or at least up listening from the board for at least the early part of the show. Many times with no dedicated band sound mixer the tour manager will go out front. Then could of been a problem on-stage and being an opening act they don't have the luxury of stopping and fixing. A lot of reasons sound can be bad one night.

I saw the Doobies with Bill Payne here (outdoors) in support of Santana in 2017.

I intensely dislike outdoor shows for a variety of reasons, sound quality being high on the list, but am pleased to report that on that particular evening the sound was excellent and Bill was easily heard. The band did a great job too.

Bill Payne has been a tremendous influence for many years. Great to hear of this re-focus on Little Feat!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'm glad he's back home and with his own music full time again and with the other remaining members of LF and the rest of the band and crew, although I love the work he's done from very early on with the Doobies too...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Who is on drums? Biggest shoes to fill other than Bills IMO.

Since Richie's passing, it was Gabe Ford, who was his drum tech... you're right, huge shoes to fill. He was OK, but I really missed hearing Richie. Who wouldn't?

I looked it up, and it seems they've changed drummers in 2020, adding a guy named Tony Leone. Has anyone heard them with him?

Kenny Gradney is still in the band, and has always provided a wonderful bottom-end groove. But I miss Paul B and loved the band when Shaun Murphy was singing with them. I'd still go to see them - with a new guitarist and drummer they may just have rejuvenated the band, who are one of my all-time favorites.

Jerry

I don't know the show I saw wasn't as good as when I saw them in 1990. They had a girl singer for awhile and she wasn't anything special.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I don't know the show I saw wasn't as good as when I saw them in 1990. They had a girl singer for awhile and she wasn't anything special.

I also saw that lineup when they had a female singer. Saw them again in early 2019 for their 50th anniversary tour, that show was great.

I've seen Tony Leone twice, both times with "The Chris Robinson Brotherhood". It would be reasonable to assume he wasn't the only drummer that was auditioned to replace Gabe Ford.

:nopity:

The current line up is Billy, Sam, Kenny, Fred (been there since the reunion), Scott Sharrard replacing Paul, and Tony Leone on drums. Scott filled in for Paul on the last tour when Paul couldn't do it, and there are some videos of the band with him circa 2019. AFAIK, there's only one video with Tony so far and it's a "studio" performance from last year. While the forum is automatically embedding the video, the top comment on the YT page has Billy's statement on the video of how it was made. I recommend checking it out.

The "female singer" was Shaun Murphy, who has sung with Bob Seger and Eric Clapton, among others. She did backing vocals on Feat albums before becoming their full time singer. I saw them with Shaun and she was a cool lady. I understand her style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I thought she fit in other ways as well. She was/is very fan friendly, which is an important thing for the band.

I don't know why Tony has replaced Gabe. I don't know why Shaun was [apparently] pushed out of the band. Craig Fuller left because he wanted to spend more time with his family. I thought he was hitting his stride with Shake Me Up, so I was bummed when he left. He does sit in with the band from time to time, and even did some of the Jamaica getaways with them.

P.S. Amy Helm is opening on some of these upcoming tour dates including Houston, so I suspect she'll be onstage with them at times like in the above video.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I met Craig Fuller once upon a time right before he joined LF. He was golfing and living the good life, apparently comfortably well off from penning songs in Pure Prairie League like "Amy." I think some of the band members were hard on him (PB, ahem) and he didn't like the relentless touring, so maybe the parting was mutual.

Shaun's leaving was couched in financial terms, as in the band was having a hard time making ends meet at one point and they had to cut costs. I can't say I enjoyed hearing Feat classics once sung by Lowell being covered by other band members including Shaun, but I very much liked her on the newer material that she originated.

Moe

---