Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic "Sledge"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Among forumites, I believe brotha Eric (MAJUSCULE) has a Sledge. So, he's qualified to attest to its sounds and features.

I remember auditioning the Sledge a few times when it was available locally.

I thought the Sledge was a capable poly synth yet it was missing that something which kept me from pulling the trigger in buying one.

I"ve read mixed reviews regarding bugs and reliability with the Sledge. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hi, Sledge owner here. It's a very cool synth for the money - I absolutely LOVE the layout - but it just feels like they could have done more in the design of it. Like it's unfinished. Heard a lot about bugginess and reliability, but mine works fine. It's on the chopping block though. Not enough space to keep it around anymore.

Edited to give a little more description: it's pretty powerful, can do a lot of analog-y type stuff but has a sound of its own - like a lot of VAs you have to dial in the warmth. I'm used to analog synths, and while the layout is exactly what I want from a synth, the execution seems a little weird to me at times. But there are plenty of videos on YT that show its power if you want to get into it.

Yes, I still own mine. There are several threads about it over the years if you search through. It's a great bang-for-the-buck synth but not likely to be anyone's lifetime synth purchase. Great layout, plenty of features, a little bit big and clunky, a little thin and digital sounding overall. But I've owned it for probably 7-8 years and have played it on many gigs and some recordings.

It was on my short list. Things I liked: the action was a Fatar action that I know I like a lot; standard power cable iirc; nice look and good sounds from demos

I ended up getting a great deal on a Summit, which is perhaps not the same tier of synth, but for a gigging synth I think it would have worked out fine for me.

I was a little put off by reports of bugs, but felt reasonably confident that a newer one would have been ok.

I asked the school where I teach to buy one, so I know it quite well. I like its clear layout, the responsive keybed with aftertouch, the good (though not great) voice channel: It's a good performance VA. No bugs to report.

Hello AWkeys. 2 questions:

1) How sensitive is the Aftertouch? Are you able to adjust the sensitivity or possibly even just turn it off (per patch)?

2) while in LOCAL OFF mode, will the Sledge internal sound-engine still respond to Midi IN messages sent from a sequencer? Or does turning Local OFF completely shut down the Sledge's sound engine?

Thanks,

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

while in LOCAL OFF mode, will the Sledge internal sound-engine still respond to Midi IN messages sent from a sequencer? Or does turning Local OFF completely shut down the Sledge's sound engine?
This is a surprisingly relevant question. Because, one one hand, I think most MIDI folks would be inclined to say "of course you can still access the sounds with Local Off... in a way that's kind of the point of Local Off." But I was dumfounded when I hit the button described as "Local Off" on the same company's Numa Organ (original) and it indeed prevented the organ engine from being triggered externally. It's the button you use when you want to use the Numa Organ as a controller for an external MIDI sound source, but by calling it Local Off, one would expect the engine to still respond to external MIDI, but it doesn't. (I was trying to find a way to split the keyboard between the internal sound and an external one while also taking advantage of the full 73 keys, the bottom octave of which are only active for MIDI in the Local Off mode... couldn't find a way to do it.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hey AnotherScott,

Yes, I too have the Numa Organ and you are correct....Local Off kills the organ sound engine and can not be triggered via MIDI. That's why asked if local-off killed the sound engine of the Sledge. My key rig typically consist of (3) keyboards; whereby, each keyboard is set up to be a master midi controller in local OFF mode. I use a Sipario to control all the mapping to each keyboard. My thought was to purchase a Sledge to be used as another keyboard controller....but, not any more.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

My thought was to purchase a Sledge to be used as another keyboard controller....but, not any more.

just to be clear, I do not know that the Sledge has the same weird implementation that the Numa Organ does, it could well be perfectly fine. But worth checking!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, AWkeys said:

Hi engineerjoel, I've got to dig through some stuff to pull it out and test it. Will see if I can get to it this week.

Hey AWkeys,  Yes, please check it out and report back.  Thanks, engineerjoel