Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FP30 x...does anyone have one?

I am intrigued by the new Roland line that came out recently...the FP30x and also I think that there is a 60x and 90x.

I have played the 30x at Guitar Center. The internal speaker system is fairly powerful and they have included 1/4 outputs on this. I was not impressed by the Rhodes but at this point I am fairly particular.

So I am just looking for acoustic piano with decent output from the speakers.

One of the reasons I am curious about the 30x is because I have an FP10 with a fairly recent Supernatural sample. I am surprised how much I like it. I like the piano better than some of the other more expensive Rolands.... not going to say which because I don't want to risk insulting anyone who has made a recent Roland purchase.

The FP10 is almost impossible to get. In my opinion it has the best piano sound of digitals that were in the 500 dollar category but it seems to have been pulled from the market.

So I am curious if there is any feedback on the FP30x

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the original FP-30 and was on a retailer's wait list for the FP-60X........

And if I recall, I think they are "still waiting" for new stock to come in....................................

Then I discovered an RD-88 IN STOCK for not much more $$ than the 60X -- but with 3X plus the number of tones, and with more (albeit not-so-user friendly) tone/scene customization possible, so I grabbed one.

I agree, the FP-30 -- and likely the FP-30X -- do have great piano tones, but if you ever think you'll "want more" -- the RD-88 may be the one for you.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

That interesting that Costco is doing the FP10 again......

Personally I really like it. It does not sound that great through speakers but with the right headphones and some touch sensitivity adjustment it gets my vote in the featherweight department.

It also has a two year labor warranty and five year parts warranty.

The 30x came out right after I got the FP10.

I did try thye RD88.... it was not for me.

I"ve owned the FP30 for about 4-5 years, which I like just fine; but I"m planning to upgrade, after demoing the FP30x several times at a local store. The better sound and responsiveness on the new model is noticeable and I find it more enjoyable to play. Apparently this has to to with the new sound processing BMC chip and better speaker system on the FP-X models. Based on that, I hesitate to recommend the FP10 or older models unless you have a very strict budget.

Aside from better sound, the extra I/O jacks and USB audio interface are nice, but it"s mainly the sound and responsiveness that has my attention. The action feels the same. I can"t speak to the Rhodes sound, but I understand it"s also been upgraded.

The FP 10 sounds pretty good. At is price point I would definitely recommend it.

Unfortunately the FP30x came out right after I got the FP10. Thats interesting that they are using a new chip. I am going to do an A/B of the 10 and 30X soon.

I did play the 30x Rhodes and was not wild about it

That FP10 bundle at Costco is still a pretty good deal at 540 dollars.I have been happy with the FP10. and would recommend that bundle deal to the average person on a budget.

I was thinking of recommending the Costco FP10 bundle to a friend of mine - a drummer looking for a slab piano to learn on. I told him these lower-priced models lacked the bells & whistles (mostly # of sounds), but since all he really needs is a decent piano, the FP10 should serve him well. I had one question about this FP10 though - is the acoustic piano exactly the same as what's in the 30, or is it cut down in some ways (I know they both have the same keybed)? After quite a bit of searching and seeing a few "FP10 vs FP30" comparison videos, that question is not answered. All these videos and web articles just point to the extra sounds and features the 30 has over the 10. Anybody taking 10 seconds to glance at a one-page spec sheet of these two keyboards would see this immediately.

I don't suppose anyboby actually know the answer to this question? BTW it's besides the point whether a "cut-down" Roland piano is good enough for my drummer friend's needs - it may very well be. I want to know for myself!

Been using FP-10 for a couple years as ultra mobile practice anywhere and give piano-lessons-in-the-yard rig and it"s been great. Practicing on it as I type this masterpiece.

If Roland had put 1/4' outs and 5 pin midi on this it would likely be my main weighted board. Tried 1/8' out to QSC k12 at a small piano only gig once & that was a comical mistake. Since then, have been using FP-10 + iPad"s Korg module ivory amer D for that and it sounds a lot better. Also bought a Kenton usb to midi box and tried FP-10 as bottom board controlling NS3 compact and the PHA-4 action really shined there. I think you have to upgrade to the heavier & pricier fp-90 before 5 pin midi is included and i am curious to try that PHA-50 action sometime, but the heavier and pricier aspect makes FP-10 a keeper.

Tried 1/8' out to QSC k12 at a small piano only gig once & that was a comical mistake.

Can you elaborate? I find the lack of 1/4" outs stupid, but I have no issues going from the headphone output of my MacBook Pro to my QSCs. Is the headphone amp of the FP10 that bad? You should easily be able to drive the QSCs to full volume with the output of any typical headphone amp.

Tried 1/8' out to QSC k12 at a small piano only gig once & that was a comical mistake.

Can you elaborate? I find the lack of 1/4" outs stupid, but I have no issues going from the headphone output of my MacBook Pro to my QSCs. Is the headphone amp of the FP10 that bad? You should easily be able to drive the QSCs to full volume with the output of any typical headphone amp.

There may be some eq settings in Roland"s Bluetooth remote app that could"ve helped but I doubt it. Anything played below C3 sounded like a booming hip hop bass line.

Here is the deal on the FP 10 sound. Through good pair of phones the AP sample is very good.

I do not care if it doesnt have 1/4 inch out either. When I want to amplify it I use a mini plug to RCA and it goes into my Yamaha mixer.

I have been spending more time with it lately and am caring less and less about spending extra money on the FP30x.

Here is the deal on the FP 10 sound. Through good pair of phones the AP sample is very good.

I do not care if it doesnt have 1/4 inch out either. When I want to amplify it I use a mini plug to RCA and it goes into my Yamaha mixer.

I have been spending more time with it lately and am caring less and less about spending extra money on the FP30x.

Yes, it does sound decent thru headphones. Could"ve been some other variable involved w/ my fp10+k12 debacle.

I've heard some reviewers complain that it's harder to do clean trills on this action. I'll need to try that for myself the next time I'm at GC.

The 30x is on my short list to replace a Yamaha P121 I picked up, which I grew to find adequate but not fun.

The PHA4 implementation on the 30x feels comfortably light and responsive, whereas the PHA50 I've tried (RD2000) felt ponderous.

I make software noises.

The reason I am opening discussion on this...I have had the FP 10 one year and have enjoyed having it.

I will NOT buy another Yamaha lightweight portable!! Sorry Yamaha users. The last one I had...P45... developed key noise in less than one year.

Casio...I am sorry... but you have not addressed the plunky tones in the mid range.

Roland FP10 had none of these issues. No rattly keys... no plunky tones

I am considering FP30x....because of positive experience with FP 10. I don't do a lot of trills...The action seems reasonable to me. I would expect better perhaps in a 2000 dollar board.

At this price range I like the piano sample through good phones very much.It's mainly a practice board. I liked the piano sample over several current and more expensive Rolands

• 2 weeks later...
I decided to try FP-10 1/8" direct out (instead of Korg Module Ivory Am D) and it did sound much better than last time. It was going out to a mixer this time instead of directly to QSC K12. Here is a sound sample. Conga(?) player is fun to watch:

• 10 months later...