Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Holy ****!! Pat Martino has died...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That really hurts.

One of my proudest musical moments was, taking a master class with Larry Coryell-his son Murali was there as well.

We took turns in pairs, trading rhythm and lead.

Mr. Coryell said, my lead playing reminded him of Pat Martino.

I'm pretty sure he was just being nice.

Besides, he then proceeded to beat up on my comping, still working on it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Rest in Peace Pat Martino...one of the greats has passed on to the other side. One of his articles (in Guitar Player IIRC) really helped me with my scale work as he and I shared the same scale framework concept. What I had discovered over the years was just a theory of mine and then his article came out and confirmed the fretboard roadmap I still use today. I could never put it to use like Mr. Martino as he was a master at jazz guitar improvisation...
Take care, Larryz

Rest in Peace Pat Martino...one of the greats has passed on to the other side. One of his articles (in Guitar Player IIRC) really helped me with my scale work as he and I shared the same scale framework concept. What I had discovered over the years was just a theory of mine and then his article came out and confirmed the fretboard roadmap I still use today. I could never put it to use like Mr. Martino as he was a master at jazz guitar improvisation...

Larry, please post a new thread all about that for us, with as many images, diagrams, etc. as you can manage- I'd really, really like to see and read all about that and I'm sure others would, too! I look forward to that, guitar in hand... :)

:like:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

https://www.wwbw.com/Hal-Leonard-Jazz-Pat-Martino-Book-and-CD-Package-940383-940383000000000.wwbw?

Caevan, I doubt I can find the article as it's been many years since I made my copy of the page to study by. But, if you have $20 bucks and click on the link above, I'll bet you and other guitar players could really benefit from all the information contained in the Pat Martino book and CD by Hal Leonard Jazz. Hope it's still available and don't forget to have fun with it! :thu:

http://www.patmartino.com/ <---this is his website. Under "articles and reviews" you'll find a 2004 article by Jude Gold, Guitar Player Magazine, with diagrams. It's full of chords and Pat Martino's theory. Not the article I was referring too, but it is as close as I can get for now. I'll try and find out more in my hard copy stuff, but that is gonna be a long shot... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

[font:Verdana]That he survived that brain hemorrhage/seizure and came back from being reset to zero to resume his musical career speaks volumes about the sheer badassery of that man. Rest easy, Pat - you earned it.[/font] ð¤ð¼ð¤ð¼

Indeed.

RIP Pat Martino, I was a Philly native on and off from birth until my Bricklayer apprenticeship concluded. I was fully aware of Mr Martino via Guitar Player Mag etc. I never did see him live or much on TV but he sure was impressive the few times I saw him on TV.

RIP.

Caevan, I doubt I can find the article as it's been many years since I made my copy of the page to study by. But, if you have $20 bucks...

Well, what I was referring to, was-

...my scale work as he and I shared the same scale framework concept. What I had discovered over the years was just a theory of mine and then his article came out and confirmed the fretboard roadmap I still use today.

-your ideas, what you had discovered, that theory of yours, that his ideas were similar to and confirmed by... that's what I was asking that you post a thread about. Not necessarily that article.

Caevan, I doubt I can find the article as it's been many years since I made my copy of the page to study by. But, if you have $20 bucks...

Well, what I was referring to, was-

...my scale work as he and I shared the same scale framework concept. What I had discovered over the years was just a theory of mine and then his article came out and confirmed the fretboard roadmap I still use today.

-your ideas, what you had discovered, that theory of yours, that his ideas were similar to and confirmed by... that's what I was asking that you post a thread about. Not necessarily that article.

Caevan, If you click on the Hal Leonard link in my post above and send $20 bucks for the material, You will have all of your "guitar in hand" information you will ever need when it comes to the study material you seek. I can't do one without the other meaning I simply mentioned the article and what it did to confirm a theory of mine. I found what may be the article I'm referring to. For $6.30 on Ebay you can order the issue if it's still available. I'm not going to send for it and will keep looking but here is the link for the January 2010 Guitar Player Magazine issue hopefully with the Pat Martino article that I would need in order to demonstrate what I'm referring to:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403261981493?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=403261981493&targetid=1262779892089&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1013962&poi=&campaignid=14866892363&mkgroupid=129483442273&rlsatarget=pla-1262779892089&abcId=9300677&merchantid=425242518&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1vK32r388wIV5mxvBB0J4QxpEAQYCSABEgJXmPD_BwE

I have CRS (can't remember sh*t)...but I remember the article (this link may be it from about 11 years ago. If it is, you'll find the fretboard roadmap I mentioned "diagramed" for you to practice from. It's just a perfect layout of the fretboard as a sheet to put on your music stand and practice with. There are many others on-line that show the same info but Mr Martino breaks it down perfectly in the article I'm referring to. My study from David Lawrence's book on improvisation was the beginning resource that I was working on for 10 years before "the article" came out. One in which involved the learning 84 fretboard pattern guitar necks (12 starting points x 7 notes). My theory is there is only one pattern and it's found in the major scale. The rest of the 84 mode patterns only involve shifting the major scale in the proper sequence to cover 5 of the 7 modes that interest me. The root point octave pattern will stay the same for all of the 7 modes. Of which, I use only 5 as I correlate them with the Pentatonic 5 positions (major and minor shifts). I also have CD's backing tracks and charts from another source which makes it fun to practice improvisation techniques...

Anyway, Mr. Martino puts it all in the simplification mode breakdown in the article. I'm sure he also has a way better teaching method available to explain it all in the Hal Leonard link I posted above...hope this is helpful. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Update for Caevan, I found it!!! It was one page that was buried in many pages of my notes that I had copied 11 years ago! I have sold off almost all of my Guitar Player Magazine copies and no longer have the issue mentioned above. But from the one page that I have, I can confirm that it is the January 2010 issue. On page 79 Exercise 2, you will find the 5 scale fretboard charts that I too had come up with in my studies. They omit the same two modes Locrian and Phrygian scales that I omit. They are all played over 5 Gm7 chords ascending the neck. They start with Aeolian then Ionian then Dorian then Lydian then Mixolydian using the same 5 framework patterns I use. You can slide the 5 frames to any key or you can move any of the modes starting points to the key you want to play them in. They are all found in the same order of the major scale no matter which key you start on (using the 1st and 6th string starting points).

Anyway, Mr. Martino confirmed for me, what I had been trying to learn from the David Lawrence book "Guitar Language" and put it in a nutshell. The name of the article is "10 Things You Gotta Do to Play Like Pat Martino." I already know I will never be able to do that but Lord knows I've tried LoL! I give Mr. Martino and David Lawrence my deepest thanks. My sincere heartfelt condolences to Mr. Martino's friends and family. He has many guitar lessons on YouTube and he can explain things about guitar improvisation way beyond my ability. I wouldn't attempt to start a thread on his material as he is the only one that can do it...IMHO. :cool:

Take care, Larryz