Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Portable/Small Mixer

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your budget?

It's difficult to recommend something without knowing that important detail.

Also, do you only purchase new items. or are used items a possibility? That can change the entire scenario.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

As you are in São Paulo, you could take a look at the stores at Teodoro Sampaio or Santa Ephigenia. IMO, the Yamaha MG06X suggested above is a decent choice and you can find it locally, and with warranty cover and at a reasonable price (reasonable in Brazilian standards :( ).

Mackie 402VLZ features a small footprint and good audio quality in a sturdy metal case, tape inputs L/R can be used as inputs 5+6, separate main and monitor outputs, can be found used for a fraction of the price of the key largo. only downside is the bulky power adapter.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I like the soundcraft notebook mixers.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I like the Rolls MX28

+1

+1 also

+1 as well . Have owned one for several years.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I have a small Rolls mixer, a Soundcraft Notepad 10 (no fx), and a Key Largo.

They each have different capabilities. The Soundcraft has a pre-fader aux send, which comes in very handy when I do a combo submixer/monitor mixer thing to give me control over monitoring (typically with random sound companies).

The Rolls I found noisy until I bought a better power supply than the one that came with it. It has no sends.

The KL I got because I was thinking of getting a stereo radial DI anyway, so just combined two birds with one stone. It has a send but it is post-fader, intended as it is for use as an fx send. It also has an audio interface but I've never tried it. It has a separate monitor out which would be handy if I used an amp/speaker, but not so handy since I use in-ears and need to combine my keys with other instruments (hence the pre-fader send on my soundcraft making this possible).

Ironically if I end up getting the Kurzweil PC4 I may not use any of them, as it can submix with audio ins and has balanced outs (though I may still use the Soundcraft to do my monitor dealio).

I dislike the fact that all of these have wall warts, but to get a mixer with a power supply you'll probably pay more and it will be bigger/heavier. My Soundcraft I must say has been a trooper. I bought it used, it wasn't in pristine shape when I got it, but it has no noise to speak of and has never given me an ounce of a problem. Neither has the KL for that matter but I haven't used it all that many times. I do like the fact that Radial sent me out a few free replacement washers, a couple of the ones that go on the jacks came off when I didn't notice it.

I like the soundcraft notebook mixers.

Second that. I have this one: https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/notepad-12FX

I have that one as well and have had good luck with it for my duo. Just enough inputs and flexibility for that purpose. And reasonably quiet.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Mackie 402VLZ features a small footprint and good audio quality in a sturdy metal case, tape inputs L/R can be used as inputs 5+6, separate main and monitor outputs, can be found used for a fraction of the price of the key largo. only downside is the bulky power adapter.

Background:

I own a lot of mixers, all sizes incl. Ashly and Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro, Roland M160s, Rolls RM (802 ?) 10 channel stereo as also a 20 I/O analog 8-bus ...

Last year, I ordered a Mackie 802 VLZ 4 for a small rig, - returned,- got a new one and returned again ...

Both bad calibrated in regards of center pan.

Ordered a small ALTO just only for a try and bingo ... !

Works as it should out of the box and no need to check out several ones.

Sonic quality is good for the price too.

Says it all.

Like the ALTO active speakers are bang for the buck, the small mixers are too,- at least IMO.

A.C.