Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Our collective wisdom wanted,,,

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would ask him to explain what he meant, as I've never heard the term used to describe a groove ... or in any other musical way. I prefer mature women ... but groove? I dunno what that is. Older? Experienced? What might an immature groove sound like? Unstable? Maybe that's it. A mature groove is a stable one.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

At a rehearsal with a singer/ guitarist who demanded that the groove(s) be ' mature',,,, any thoughts?

Serve the song. Play with thought and intention. The signature licks matter, the rest needs to be open and leave space for the singer/song. No clutter, no indulgence, save your fancy licks for the end of the solo.

Basic, simple stuff.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I perceive, based solely on the fact that he posted the question here, that OP may sense asking directly would harm his standing in the eyes of the BL.
And besides, it's so much more fun to discuss it here on KC.

I think I will now describe myself as a mature groove.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Decades ago on an airplane, the country music channel included a lead singer instructing the band to "get down" during an interlude between verses. After the improvisation grew chaotically busy, the fellow patiently said "Now get back up," and the solo settled into a simple modal melody. I laughed pretty deeply, annoying some of my fellow travelers.

I think the guitarist was requesting that the OP stay, um, "up."

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Decades ago on an airplane, the country music channel included a lead singer instructing the band to "get down" during an interlude between verses. After the improvisation grew chaotically busy, the fellow patiently said "Now get back up," and the solo settled into a simple modal melody. I laughed pretty deeply, annoying some of my fellow travelers.

I think the guitarist was requesting that the OP stay, um, "up."

[video:youtube]

I'm very badly remembering a phrase that goes something like "talking about music is like miming about colors." Any group of musicians will eventually come up with its own lexicon of words and meanings, the same way any language is developed, by learning through trial and experience that "when he says this, he means that."

What I love about music as compared to, say, tennis, is that you can keep getting better (and groovier) at it right up to the time your brain stops functioning.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm very badly remembering a phrase that goes something like "talking about music is like miming about colors." Any group of musicians will eventually come up with its own lexicon of words and meanings, the same way any language is developed, by learning through trial and experience that "when he says this, he means that."

What I love about music as compared to, say, tennis, is that you can keep getting better (and groovier) at it right up to the time your brain stops functioning.

I think it was "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture." And, it's true.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I was once told, while improvising a keyboard part for a recording, to avoid 'juvenile eighth note patterns'...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I was once told, while improvising a keyboard part for a recording, to avoid 'juvenile eighth note patterns'...
So of course you played adult eighth note patterns

Nowadays middle age 8th note patterns are more my thing.

Those are mature 8th note patterns

:roll: :roll: :roll:

And I especially don't want to hear, 'senior eighth note patterns'.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Time does not lead to maturity.

It's not how long you live, it is how you live.

Replace rote wanking with love making.

Think Jerry Rice style practice and make every moment the Superbowl.