Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Acquires Presonus

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would prefer to be owned by Fender than owned by Gibson.

Although on balance bad news for users either way. If Presonus struggle as an independent, they would fight 100% for survival. If they struggle under Fender, they get closed down.

Cheers, Mike.

Waiting for the MIM Presonus sub-brand.

For me I prefer the MIM Fenders over the US same thing. The same CNC machines and programs make the MIM models at one point all Fender necks and bodies were made in US and some sent to Mexico to become MIM models. The big difference between US and MIM is the US made ones they spend a little more time doing a setup on them. But for me no matter what guitar I bought unless custom made first thing I did was take it to my luthier for a setup. So why pay extra for a US guitar when I can get just as good MIM and have my repairman set it up how I like. I can't even remember the last time I owned a US Fender all the ones I had over recent decade or more were MIM or MIJ Fenders. The MIJ Fenders were so good Fender had to put restrictions on dealers to stop selling them in the US.

. . . an ecosystem that seamlessly integrates hardware and software to create an effortless end-to-end experience for customers at all levels in their creative journey . . .

Whenever corporations start to spew over-torqued aspirational marketing blather like this about stuff I use, I get worried.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

. . . an ecosystem that seamlessly integrates hardware and software to create an effortless end-to-end experience for customers at all levels in their creative journey . . .

Whenever corporations start to spew over-torqued aspirational marketing blather like this about stuff I use, I get worried.

+1 It would be so refreshing to hear a plain-speaking statement like: "We think Presonus's audio interfaces and software will really complement our guitars and amps, and we can do some new and interesting things together". But Fender's canned statement means virtually nothing. I'm not sure I can name any of the levels in my creative journey, but even if I had an ecosystem for it, I'm suspicious that the experience would be effortless, let alone end-to-end.

Cheers, Mike.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think it will be OK. Fender doesn't really have any other companies that they own? They had Kaman, but sold it. Had Guild but sold that. The only brand they kind of messed up was Sunn, but that was years ago.

I think it will be OK too but they did more or less hose Genz Benz. On the other hand, the newest versions of the Fender Rumble bass amps are possible due to Genz Benz tech and the Rumble 100 1-12" has to be the lightest, smallest, affordable bass amp out there that can kick some serious butt so that's a win in my book.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Fender had SWR a great bass gear company. They kept selling SWR gear as they slowly morphed SWR gear into Fender labeled gear then SWR disappeared. Fender is more like Yamaha than Gibson, like Yamaha they tend to buy companies to acquire technology and then let the purchased company fade away. Line 6 seems to be one of the few Yamaha keeps the brand around.

I tried to post this last night but had a lot of internet issues that likely were caused by heavy election-oriented traffic. The article I saw didn't go into much detail other than to name the lawyers involved. I'm not really clear on whether Fender primarily bought PreSonus for their control surfaces and the like, or their StudioOne DAW. I sold my StudioOne license a year or two ago, after trying for years to like it. But I do respect the development team nonetheless. I hope the best for them.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hard to guess what Fender is interested in with this purchase. Home DIY music market is growing so the interfaces would take them into a new marketplace. Fender over last decade has been doing more and more with amp modeling. If I remember right some of the small amps have interfaces in them for DIY so that ties the the first thing I mentioned. Fender has been selling off some of their past acquisitions like DW and others, maybe they are going to focus on guitars and DIY music products only for future.