Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie effect on Roland AX-Synth?

Just bought a used one. Won't use it much, maybe 4-5 songs a night. The organ patch works for what I need, but found that there appears to be no leslie effect for it? Am I missing something, or can I route that a leslie effect to the modulation button in a latch mode?

Thx

Mark

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two Leslie effects on the AX-Synth: "Rotary" and "VK Rotary." The latter does a little more bass emphasis.

The info, a bit counterintuitively, is found in the "AX-Synth Editor" manual, page 58.

BTW, I am slightly jealous -- when I upgraded to the AX-Edge, I lost the SuperNatural violin patch, which really shines on the AX-Synth. Even my Kurzweils fall short of that fiddle.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Thank you very much Tom! I looked at the Edge and just didn't want so spend that much at this time..... looks great however! So, can you route this rotary effect to the modulation bar? I can't see how, if it's possible, while using the editor. Again, much thanks! Mark

It's been a while, but I believe I routed the Leslie speed to a button on the AX-Synth. (That's relatively easy to do on the AX Edge, so I might be conflating memories.) I remember setting the AX-Synth IR sensor to be a Sostenuto pedal, so I could stick my palm over it to keep a drone note running while I soloed elsewhere on the keyboard.

-Tom Williams

Thanks but my point is, unless I'm not understanding, is that it appears there is only one MFX effect that can be used at a time. Currently this patch uses a "guitar distortion amp" MFX to give the patch the aggressive gr, and if I change that to the VK rotary effect, the patch loses all of the grit and is just a plain organ now with rotary.

Buy a Tech 21 Para Driver DI and use it to run your synth to the PA and also as a guitar amp emulator.

Studio quiet, versatile and you can use phantom power from the PA to run it so no extra batteries or wall warts.

I have one and use it for all sorts of things in my home recording studio, I'll never sell it. Guitars, basses, vocals, snare drums, it is versatile and the Blend knob allows it to be subtle or profoundly evil.

The EQ section is excellent as well.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Well, it appear that I can have either the distortion effect (AX Distortion Organ) OR the VK rotary effect but not both..... Ugh.

Since you might have to choose, I'd suggest getting a distortion box. Or a fuzz. That's easier than finding a good rotary effect pedal.

FunMachine.

Thanks but my point is, unless I'm not understanding, is that it appears there is only one MFX effect that can be used at a time. Currently this patch uses a "guitar distortion amp" MFX to give the patch the aggressive gr, and if I change that to the VK rotary effect, the patch loses all of the grit and is just a plain organ now with rotary.

I looked at the AX-Synth manual and checked out a review. One MFX per Tone, and patches are saved at the Tone level. You might be able to edit sounds at a 'Partial' level with the editor, but the only effects allowance I could see was MFX per Tone and individual patch level to a global reverb. I played one of these while sitting-in at a friend's gig back in 2014, and what struck me was how well the MFX were tailored to the Tones - of the half dozen or so I played. So if the "guitar distortion amp" MXF defines the sound of that organ patch for you, it could be worth playing the sound through a rotary FX pedal (The flipside of what KuruPrionz suggested). I connected a Roland RD-2000 to a Lester K pedal for a recording a few years ago - bypassing the rotary effect in the RD, but keeping the amp sim that defined the tonewheel patch; it worked very well. If you connect your AX-Synth to a Ventilator, Lester K or similar unit, you might find the sound needed; then simply click the bypass on the pedal for your other patches.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I looked at the AX-Synth manual and checked out a review. One MFX per Tone, and patches are saved at the Tone level. You might be able to edit sounds at a 'Partial' level with the editor, but the only effects allowance I could see was MFX per Tone and individual patch level to a global reverb. I played one of these while sitting-in at a friend's gig back in 2014, and what struck me was how well the MFX were tailored to the Tones - of the half dozen or so I played. So if the "guitar distortion amp" MXF defines the sound of that organ patch for you, it could be worth playing the sound through a rotary FX pedal (The flipside of what KuruPrionz suggested). I connected a Roland RD-2000 to a Lester K pedal for a recording a few years ago - bypassing the rotary effect in the RD, but keeping the amp sim that defined the tonewheel patch; it worked very well. If you connect your AX-Synth to a Ventilator, Lester K or similar unit, you might find the sound needed; then simply click the bypass on the pedal for your other patches.

This is perfectly sensible too. I've got some decent rotary speaker tones on a couple of my guitar amps, built in. The Boss Katana MkII series has a nice one, so does the Peavey Vypyr VIP series.

The reason I mentioned the Tech 21 SansAmp Para Driver DI specifically is because it is a "Swiss Army knife" pedal with connections that few if any rotary pedals have and a robust EQ system to boot.

More than one way to skin a cat and more than one cat needs skinning! :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Don't expect a rompler to produce acceptible Hammond organ sounds. You will be disappointed every time.

Thx. I just want to use this for 3-4 tunes during the night, so I can dance around and act like a fool. :). I have a Kronos and Stage 3 for everything else. I tried to use an Alesis Vortex 2 and the MIDI wireless is total trash.

Oh. I was still talking about speed control. :-)

Probably the best built-in option then would be effect #66 (Overdrive+chorus) or #67 (Overdrive + Flanger). I have gotten flangers to wiggle the organ tone just enough to sound Leslie-ish in a live mix.

Otherwise, I echo Allan's advice to use internal distortion and external rotary. Lester K is probably best bang-for-buck in that category.

-Tom Williams

Thanks very much for the input. I had seen on the editor program that you can chose what tone to use when you change an effect, but everytime I chose a specific tone to change the effect, when I change the effect, it changes ALL the tones to that same effect. Not sure what I'm doing wrong... Yes, I may just get a distortion pedal and put it in my wireless chain for the AX. Just frustrating that the software isn't "behaving" like it's supposed to...

Why not just MIDI the AX to your Kronos or Stage3 for better organ sound?

i.e., why did you need a keytar with built-in sound?

For some of us the whole point of getting the AX-Synth (then Edge) was to have the whole self-contained monty. Also, wireless audio is less risky than wireless MIDI.

-Tom Williams