Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A New Chapter for Rhodes

"the website will be officially live with all the details on the 1st November so we"ve got another month of titbits and teases to go.

There will be a 'MK8 customiser engine' which will let you choose from a range of colours, sparkle finishes and whether it comes with the stereo effects and a stand."

Nov 01 almost gone in europe,- Leeds/UK included ...

So where´s the site ?

I registered weeks ago,- and all I see is still the registration site.

clonk

:confused:

A.C.

While you're waiting Vintage Vibe posted a new video this morning..... Cool tune.

[video:youtube]

"the website will be officially live with all the details on the 1st November so we"ve got another month of titbits and teases to go.

There will be a 'MK8 customiser engine' which will let you choose from a range of colours, sparkle finishes and whether it comes with the stereo effects and a stand."

Nov 01 almost gone in europe,- Leeds/UK included ...

So where´s the site ?

I registered weeks ago,- and all I see is still the registration site.

clonk

:confused:

A.C.

I'm pre-registered too and haven't received any info today about accessing the site to place an order.

While you're waiting Vintage Vibe posted a new video this morning..... Cool tune.

[video:youtube]

That black sparkle with wood accents is a great combo. And, drawing on another recent thread. Is the notch on the wood music stand ledge wide and deep enough to serve as a tablet holder?!?

Jup, and I am out.

Basic model 7.995 exclusive tax and shipping :o

So USD is around $11,000 and that's before any import costs. Then sales tax in CA another about $1100. Suddenly a fully loaded Apple 16" MBP with M1 Max and copy of Keyscape is looking like a hell of a deal.

Jup, and I am out.

Basic model 7.995 exclusive tax and shipping :o

So USD is around $11,000 and that's before any import costs. Then sales tax in CA another about $1100. Suddenly a fully loaded Apple 16" MBP with M1 Max and copy of Keyscape is looking like a hell of a deal.

I wanted to talk myself into buying one of these but I can't justify at this premium price point.

8000 + VAT base price (no legs), 10,750 maximum.

FX is 900 extra, which seems fair.

Mine (gold lid, +FX panel, legs) would be 9600 + taxes.

It"s probably worth it, from the demos. I"m looking forward to checking it out, even if I"m not going to be buying one new anytime soon.

Awesome that these now exist.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I'm about to to spend $9500.

Unfortunately it's on my roof instead of a new MK8.

Good thing your plywood is in tact. Otherwise, it would be double. Ouch!

The state of the decking underneath the shingles is unknown. There is a collapsed section in the back section. I would not be surprised if there was indeed wood rot.

The cost of the job is higher than most of my neighbors' because the gutters and skylights also need replacement. The roofing contractor tried to convince me to go with non-opening skylights as replacements due to lower cost but I do rely on opening them during the summer to let the heat out.

Always more fun to spend money because you want to, not because you have to. Congrats to those who are in a position to do so - I mean it!

I have high hopes you get through this without a big sticker shock. A few years back I removed the shingles to find original decking from 1920 that all needed to be replaced with plywood. Also replaced skylights. Doubled the cost of the project. Painful. Needed a new line of credit, butchered instrument funding for years.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have high hopes you get through this without a big sticker shock. A few years back I removed the shingles to find original decking from 1920 that all needed to be replaced with plywood. Also replaced skylights. Doubled the cost of the project. Painful.

Hello my brother in sticker shock! LOL!

Every time it rains here, I get a stream of water trickling from the ceiling down the wall inside the back room addition. I'm sure the collapsed section is also allowing mice and other critters to come inside.

While I have spent some money on gear this year, I avoided buying stuff like a Prophet 10, because I had a feeling I should save up for something big.

Base model $9,450 excluding tax and shipping.

I'm disappointed. I was eagerly awaiting this reveal in hopes that it would be a return to the time when Rhodes were a premium but not unattainable instrument for the average musician. I was hoping for a base model priced around $4,500 USD so that it would be a electro-mechanical competitor to Nords and such for stage use. This has now fallen into the same category as the VV piano which is unattainable or at least unjustifiable financially for many.

Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

Rhodes was killed by the DX7 that didn"t sound like a Rhodes at all. And now we have excellent digital keyboards that are compact, light and affordable and recreate the real Rhodes sound perfectly. What are these guys thinking with this new Rhodes? Who would buy it besides a few die-hard Rhodes aficionados with deep pockets.

Who would *need* to buy it 'besides a few die-hard Rhodes aficionados with deep pockets' for the company to be successful?

If they can sell a couple hundred each year to stay profitable, the cost of tooling will eventually be amortised and the price can drop.

If these things sound and play as well as it looks, there may well be enough of a global market.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

... Awesome that these now exist.

... for collectors !

At these prices, this is made to be a showup status symbol just from the beginning.

IMO, it sounds great from the demos, but I cannot imagine many can afford touring/gigging w/ such a rare and exclusive piece of gear where roadies render it into a brick within 50 -100 gigs.

And at home and/or in the studio, you can still have it cheaper w/ a used and overhauled vintage Rhodes and some ext. FX (pedals).

A.C.

The price point is indeed a stinger. I do feel $3-5.5k is the mark when competing with restoring a Rhodes or buying a new Vintage Vibe Electric Piano - the digital facsimiles like CP1, Legend 70s and Crumar Seven are of course options - as are all the slab stage pianos and workstations (although, I think giggers that carry their own stuff and perform a wide variety of material aren"t the target customer). Collectors, yes - older, now wealthier players who wanted a Rhodes in their younger days and don"t want to get into restoration/repair/maintenance of a decades old model. Players that prefer a 'real' instrument. Big acts and venues going for a look on stage. Big studios looking to pad their gear list with the latest thing.

Maybe a Fender or Yamaha will snap them up and get construction into a factory to get price down. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Base model $9,450 excluding tax and shipping.

First belly laugh of the day. :wacko:

It kind of reminds me of today's car prices. I never spent more that $21,000 for any of the new cars I owned, including my last purchase in 2016 for a new Mazda3 Touring i. I can't believe the number of people who will purchase a $40,000 car in a blink of an eye.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Rather than join the chorus of naysayers here, I'll assume (in my ignorance, I'll admit, I'm just a piano player!) that like most startup businesses they have to set prices based on many factors that affect a manufacturer. Designing what is essentially a new electromechanical piano almost from the ground up entails a lot of brainpower and time, with talented people that need and deserve to get paid, and a space to get things done. I won't pretend to know how any of this works but I'm guessing it's not exactly easy to do. Granted we probably won't be seeing cover bands playing at the local bar with one of these, but I'm sure they knew that from the get-go. Big studios, MI rental companies, major tours â these are probably the target market. So that doesn't include us? Cry me a river. Unlike the days of yore, we all have plenty of very nice choices in digital equivalents. It's the artist, not the brush! Go make music. Of course I would love to get my hands on one just to experience it â who knows, maybe that'll inspire me to pull a Hal Galper with my little plastic Roland board (some of you will know what I mean!). Hey, I just happen to be going to the UK for some gigs in a few days and might be passing close to Leeds!

+2 on Reeze's and 16's posts.

My guitar friend has started learning keys on an Electro 2. As a guitar player, he can cork-sniff if required, and he's happy with the tone. As such he's decided he's not going to upgrade is board, much as he lusts after a Crumar Seven.

Cheers, Mike.