Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FIngerpicks?

picker

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who use fingerpicks, how far do you let them stick out from your finger tip? And at what angle?

I use my nails very much the way you would use fingerpicks (and I never use guitar picks, always fingerstyle); I try to keep them not too long, just barely past the extreme outer end of each fingertip; in profle, looks like a little triangle above the curve of the fingertip-pad, about 1mm or 1.5mm or so. Just enough to get the string under 'em, and to attack the strings free and clear of the fingertip for downstrokes. And just enough that I could use my Index or Middle nail similar to the way I'd use a regular guitar pick for alternate-stroke picking on a single string. This gives me better control than if they were longer, and they don't get caught 'n snagged in the strings.

This also allows me to choose just the nail, nail and fingertip, or just the fingertip.

So, if your fingerpicks are snug and secure without movement, I'd say that up to 2mm or 2.5mm past the round tip of the finger would serve you well.

eqZJw5s.jpg

I do have a set of Tiptonic Fingernail Picks, that actually attach directly to each fingernail by clipping on via side-ridges that the nail slides into, and a gob of reusable medically-safe type adhesive; the picks are warmed prior to putting them on, softening and activating the adhesive, and making the picks themselves more pliable.

They're great! The closest thing to playing with my own natural nails in tone and feel. A bit tedious in sizing and use, though- especially if a nail is broken, which is the whole reason I wanted them in the first place, as an alternative and as a back-up plan when I mess my nails up or even just wear 'em down from playing a lot. It's a system, if you will- after figuring the sizes you need for each nail, there's a warming cylinder with individual chambers, that is plugged in for power. The tedious involvement and matters with needing additional sizes if nails are damaged- and then keeping track of which is which- has kept me from using 'em much. But I don't like other fingerpicks, and absolutely cannot stand artificial nails at all; for me, it's either my fingers, or these Tiptonic Fingernail Picks.

With those Fingernail Picks, I go a bit longer than I would with my own natural nails; that 2mm to 2.5mm range, at the most. Partly because they mount on my nails, and stick out a bit further- and, they're thicker and stiffer. (They come a little long, and can be filed and sanded and smoothed as you may see fit.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Picker, I know zilch about finger picking but I'll make a quick comment anyway as Lord knows I've tried to do it a few times. I'm a hybrid picker (holding the pick and using the 3 fingers in a finger picking kinda style). I don't use my nails and keep them trimmed and just use my finger pads. The big reason I don't use the finger picks is they pinch and/or just feel uncomfortable. I think the biggest thing is to find finger picks that feel right to you. For the thumb pick I found the white National picks to be one I could wear that feel pretty close to comfortable. Tommy Emmanuel uses the same kind of thumb pick and has some great tips on YT clips. He carries 3 or so different sizes when he performs as his thumb gets bigger and smaller depending on temps, etc. He doesn't use picks on his other fingers. His YT lesson is really a great way to get started on finger picking Chet Atkins style.

On my finger picks I can't get comfortable with them so I'll just say that the metal ones fit me the best and the plastic ones suck and they both just sit in a box in my closet. LoL! They don't cost that much so you can buy a set of both. :cool:

Ps. Here's the starter video I was referring too:

Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...

Fingerpicks? I use National NP22s or Pro Piks. For guitars and banjos I stick to the Nationals. The Pro Piks do not hurt the cuticles on your fingers. Finger picks should be contoured to follow the shape of the the fingertip. I will try to attach a picture. If your picks slip then you can lick your fingers before putting them on. It probably sounds weird and maybe gross but it works. Its an old Steeler trick. On pedal steel I will use fingerpicks with less curve that are straighter. That is just my thing not a standard practice. Useful tip is to take some paint and color code the inside of your picks so your know whichs ones fit which finger. Use needle nose pliers to fit you picks.

The thumb pick type and material I use vary by instrument ( guitar/steel/banjo/dobro) . On guitar finger picks are about tone and attack sound. More often than not I play bare fingered. On guitar a big thumbpick technique is to grasp it and use the thumbpicks like a flat pick. It is like a pick but you don't drop it. Let me know if you have any questions.

47uLFPl.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have National for certain instruments and Dunlop for others; metal in some cases but often plastic (especially tortoise shell).

National has been unavailable for some time, which is why I recently ordered some Dunlop metal finger picks to try.

Then right after that, D'addario announced that they have bought National and will be ramping up production again.

And that's the main reason I even bothered responding, to let people know about this, as it wasn't well publicized.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Caev, I like the look of these, but ordering them looks kinda complicated.

I know, right?! It kinda is! They have an elaborate size and shape system to fit the picks to YOUR fingernails; they did a tremendous amount of research and development there, and did a GREAT job. The warming gizmo and reusable adhesive that's already within each fingernail-pick REALLY, REALLY works- so long as the fit is correct.

So, it's tedious, and a bit expensive- but it's probably as good as such a solution could get, other than those types that have a tube that slips ovcer your fingers- and I am certain that I wouldn't like those.

In any case, eyeballing the way they're shaped and angled can help you make an informed decision on more traditional fingerpicks.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _