Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to almost ruin a gig

...Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Wall wart

(a little Dr Strangelove reference, hopefully everyone has seen that movie!)

And no I haven't learned to love wall warts, they were at the center of the situation. That said, they are not responsible for my stupidity.

I always stress a bit over forgetting stuff at gigs, and also strive to streamline my rig for the occasion--are we using a sound man, running sound ourselves, am I using in-ears etc. This was part of the issue. I took a cut-down rig to practice in a smaller gig bag, first mistake. I ended up leaving my Modx7 wall wart at practice and I couldn't reach the person whose house it was before the gig.

No worries, I bought a backup wall wart for this very reason. Second mistake, I could not find it. I have used various different backup cases and bags, again trying to get too exact with it for each gig, and in none of them was my back up wall wart.

Now I'm in trouble. It's less than 2 hrs before gig time and I have no power supply for my main keyboard. Then I remembered that the Moxf8's power supply was very similar if not identical and a bit of googling told me it was safe to use for the Modx. I am trying to sell it and almost did so yesterday. Long story short, it worked at the gig so I was saved.

However, in the frenzy to find it I got very agitated and didn't properly pack my main gig bag, the previous gig I didn't use my Summit and again, being too exact, had taken out my four-cable stereo snake and standard power cable for the Summit. I get to the gig, I don't have enough 1/4" cables and NOBODY has an extra power cable. Until, that is, the drummer shows up and he has a few extra---the DRUMMER! Why he has those, if not to help out idiots in the band, I don't know.

All this (re) taught me to:

- Have a consistent backup case/bag and don't change what's in it.

- Make sure you have a backup wall wart for anything that uses one. That now includes my Key Largo and my Behringer p16m monitor mixer. However, those are all velcroed to the pedalboard so I'm not going to lose them at least.

- Try to calm down and not make things worse. Once I realized the Moxf cable would work, I was still beating myself up about it and that caused further issues with forgetting stuff.

Once I sell the Moxf8 my plan was to get a Kurzweil pc4 and bring out the Summit for special occasions, for this band at least. That way either board can get through a gig. That said, adding another wall wart board has me feeling less than thrilled. Despite the weight, cost and some different features, I might look into getting a used Forte, 7 probably. I know I like the tp40 action also, not sure about the medelli one in the pc4.

It's not the wall warts' fault if I am a forgetful and disorganized fool, but having a bunch of extra standard power cables that anything can use is a wonderful thing.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No wall warts in my rigs. If the keyboard came with one, I build it in. I have a power snake that I built that has extra IEC and figure 8 power connector as well as adapters both ways. I got caught once decades ago without my suitcase and had to steal power cables from the computer monitors at the bar and hit up a friend gigging nearby. Since then I leave nothing to chance. It's a tough lesson to learn but one I'll never forget. I'm glad your gig worked out OK.

Glad it worked out OK. I am a strong believer in setting up separate gig bags for every kind of rig arrangement you might need, with the theory that any money spent duplicating pedals and cables is nothing compared to needing something you don't have, even once. Even then it's not foolproof (as I found out when I made the game-time decision recently to swap out which board I used for my second board, and got halfway to the gig, and remembered the upper tier for my stand was in the case of the other board). But it's a nice little safety back-up. Plus the bag-o-extras that lives in my car.

FWIW, in my experience it's often the drummer who has the spare supplies we need. It's also often the drummer who is the supplier of the PA. Maybe it's a job-security thing, or maybe it's as simple as, once you're hauling all that equipment anyway, you might as well add some technological first-aid supplies to the mix.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

No wall warts in my rigs. If the keyboard came with one, I build it in. I have a power snake that I built that has extra IEC and figure 8 power connector as well as adapters both ways. I got caught once decades ago without my suitcase and had to steal power cables from the computer monitors at the bar and hit up a friend gigging nearby. Since then I leave nothing to chance. It's a tough lesson to learn but one I'll never forget. I'm glad your gig worked out OK.

I'd love to see that home-made snake. Do you have pictures by chance?

www.joshweinstein.com

We had a drummer in one of my bands who would frequently forget something, despite using the same rig for every show. I believe he has ADHD, a condition for which external sources of organization can be helpful. I suggested (more than once) that he make a checklist of everything he needed, and tape it prominently just inside the back of his SUV. However, he never followed through, and continued to forget things.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have at least some symptoms of ADHD myself (as many do). I can relate to needing external sources of organization. Even that is not 100% as you can forget to use them or keep them updated! I have struggled with such a simple thing as finding my keys and wallet over the years--the only thing that works is having a basket for them and getting conditioned to take them there.

With my rig I'm pretty good about remembering everything normally--partly because it's not all that complex. However, in this case once I got out of sorts mentally I was unable to remember things because I was so focused on that one issue. A list would have been handy (just check it the same way I am automatic about my keys basket!)

What's both sad and hilarious is I'm watching my 19-year-old storm around the house looking for his keys and wallet every other day. I just say "Basket!" and he gnashes his teeth and refuses to take my advice. Much as I did with my dad on various subjects, looking back now :)

I have ADHD myself, and I definitely have a habit of leaving SOMETHING at every rehearsal, but I always get it back in time for gigs. I also keep a ridiculously robust backup gig back, for this reason only. I have an extra of every cable.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I think a good idea is an "emergency kit" that is permanently kept in your vehicle, which contains, at a minimum, one standard power cord, one "figure 8" power cord, one guitar cable, one mic cable, one sustain pedal (switchable polarity), and one extra of any wall wart any of your boards (or other devices) may need. And, if you use an iPad/tablet/etc., one USB/lightning/whatever cable with its power plug, and one extra of whatever cable you use to get audio out of it if it's a sound source. That should cover your basics, and may allow you to beat out the drummer for being that guy who always has what someone needs. ;-) An extra mic stand couldn't hurt if you have the space for it.

If your external power supply is a lump-in-the-middle type instead of wall wart, you might be able to leave it velcro'd to the keyboard, and then you just need the standard or figure-8 power cord to actually get power to it. (At least if your board has a suitable edge to it, and it doesn't prevent it from fitting in the case.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

We did a gig on Halloween eve. Rolling Stones tribute. Decent sized outdoor neighborhood venue with food and drink carts. I got volunteered to run sound. I do it for our 3-4 piece band with my XR12. Simple stuff, so it was assumed I would do it.

Saturday night we added another guitar, & sax to the group, and it was decided we'd were mic'ing everything, drums included...something we rarely do. On a 12 channel mixer. I found out about this the day before. While seriously stressing about these new additions, I decided to use a sub mix from the drums and my input problem was solved. I have a small Eurorack 8 channel that did the trick.

We got all packed in and were setting up when I realized my adapter for the WIFI router was missing. I keep that, and a small ethernet cable in an old camera bag/case. It was not in the mixer case and nowhere to be found, and the internal WiFi on the XR would not connect due to high traffic. I was told WiFi interference was really bad there. After a frantic phone call, I headed home to look for an adapter that'd work. Grabbed a few and headed back to the gig. It's 6:15 when I get back, downbeat's at 6:30. I finally got it up and running at 6:35. We had a good 1 minute sound check and we were off to the races.

Not stressful at all

Still can't find that bag with the adapter in it. Checked the place of our last gig, and the rehearsal areas. It's a mystery. Of all the things I was concerned about going into this gig, and missing adapter was not one of them. Amazon's got 2 for twelve bucks. I think they will live in my car...

"May you stay...forever young."

On the wall warts - I definitely have two but also have a process where I keep one of them in the keyboard bag my MODX7 is transported in rather than my gear bag. Ensures it never gets seperated.

I suggested (more than once) that he make a checklist of everything he needed, and tape it prominently just inside the back of his SUV. However, he never followed through........

That's probably because "Making a Checklist" wasn't on a checklist!

I had a buddy drummer like that.... So we always made him show up an hour early -- to give him time to chase after forgotten items...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I think a good idea is an "emergency kit" that is permanently kept in your vehicle, which contains, at a minimum, one standard power cord, one "figure 8" power cord, one guitar cable, one mic cable, one sustain pedal (switchable polarity), and one extra of any wall wart any of your boards (or other devices) may need. And, if you use an iPad/tablet/etc., one USB/lightning/whatever cable with its power plug, and one extra of whatever cable you use to get audio out of it if it's a sound source. That should cover your basics, and may allow you to beat out the drummer for being that guy who always has what someone needs. ;-) An extra mic stand couldn't hurt if you have the space for it.

If your external power supply is a lump-in-the-middle type instead of wall wart, you might be able to leave it velcro'd to the keyboard, and then you just need the standard or figure-8 power cord to actually get power to it. (At least if your board has a suitable edge to it, and it doesn't prevent it from fitting in the case.)

I can find failure in this car idea too! :D

I have been bitten before when my wife decides she need MY car for something. It's a major PITA even without gig considerations because I have other handy stuff I leave in my car (driving sunglasses, bungies for my cart etc etc).

I'm not sure about leaving the MODX power cable in...it might stick out. I have the Yamaha soft case which is rather flimsy...might be worth a look see. I do keep the wart in the keyboard bag, I just completely forgot to even unplug it from the wall when I left practice. I do exactly what you describe with both my mixers, velcro them and their power supply to a board and have a simple 2 prong power extension also velcroed to it.

FWIW, in my experience it's often the drummer who has the spare supplies we need. It's also often the drummer who is the supplier of the PA. Maybe it's a job-security thing, or maybe it's as simple as, once you're hauling all that equipment anyway, you might as well add some technological first-aid supplies to the mix.

I play with a drummer like this!

We both joke that it"s on our list of duties to supply the rest of the band with the stuff they regularly forget.

He is seriously next level though. As well as musical bits and bobs he"s good for band-aids, nail clippers, ibuprofen and hugs.

I can find failure in this car idea too! :D

I have been bitten before when my wife decides she need MY car for something. It's a major PITA even without gig considerations because I have other handy stuff I leave in my car (driving sunglasses, bungies for my cart etc etc).

A good example of a first world problem. ;-) Since you're a multi-car family, you'd need to create an identical "emergency kit" to keep in each car. It may be irritating to have to buy yet another of everything, but heck, if that extra cost was in the price of the car, you wouldn't even notice it. ;-)

The other thing is you need the awareness/discipline to know to immediately put back or replace any piece you ever take out of it and actually use (i.e. before the next gig).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On the wall warts - I definitely have two but also have a process where I keep one of them in the keyboard bag my MODX7 is transported in rather than my gear bag. Ensures it never gets seperated.

This is exactly what I do for my MOX8. A spare wall-wart kept in the keyboard case's side pocket, always there in case the one in my main gig-bag gets lost.

And speaking of taking things in and out of my gig bag (to customize for a particular gig)... I never do that anymore. I always find myself slapping my forehead over some item I should have kept in the bag that I now need. Biggest mistake was taking my long 30' audio cables out of the bag because they're heavy and I thought I wouldn't need them for this gig, because I'm using DIs instead of running cables directly to the mixer. Nevermind that, change of plan, now I have to run directly to the mixer. Where did those long cables go? :facepalm:

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

And speaking of taking things in and out of my gig bag (to customize for a particular gig)... I never do that anymore. I always find myself slapping my forehead over some item I should have kept in the bag that I now need.

yeah... though I'm guilty of doing it myself, it does create another possible source of error. What I've sometimes done, though, is "separated out" a carry bag for the things I need for the gig, but instead of leaving "everything else" at home, the "everything else" gets tossed into a milk crate which is also put in the car. That way I still don't unnecessarily carry a whole bunch of things I don't need in and out of the venue, but if I unexpectedly need something else after all, at least it's just in the car instead of being back at home.

Man I forgot a rack mixer that enables me to use my 3 board rig with a K12 Speaker. I was an hour and a half away. As luck would have it my buddy hired a sax player who played most of the melody lines that I usally play. That way I played with two Kronos 61 note boards. It worked out but that could have been a lot worse. What scared me is I forgot a key piece of gear. I never have a checklist I write down, I just kind of know what I need and always carry extract1/4 inch cables and mic cables. I learned we never know what we are walking into and since the other keyboard player rides with me makes it easier. We kind of check each others rigs for things. Forgetting that rack still sticks in my head though...

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I don't know how to paste a jpg of my snake here.

You can either "Use Full Editor" and then "Attachment Manager," or host it on an external site and post the link here. Or send to me via DM. I've been moving toward using a snake but haven't pulled the trigger, and would love to see what others have going on.

www.joshweinstein.com

At a certain point I developed a reputation as the guy with all the emergency stuff, and that's helped/haunted me to an absurd degree. I'm the guy with extra quarter inch cables, power cables, XLRs... one time the piano player in the band (I was playing bass on that gig) asked if they could use my keyboard! Hilariously, I had a Nord Electro and a Wurlitzer in my car, but the piano player's partner still had to drive half an hour back to my house to pick up a weighted 88-key board from my wife.

So when I am missing a cable I need, I get really mad.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Over the years I've pretty much collected at least 3 or 4 wall warts for all my keys that use them..especially the Yamaha standard PA-150.

I do what others here have said they do: Each keyboard case/bag carries the extra power supply in a side pocket as backup.

In my truck, I also have a backup/emergency gig case that has extra pedals (FC-7, A couple sustain, a duplicate snake, extra MIDI cable, extra USB Cables, and an extra IEC power cable or two)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I once had a gig in Fairfield, CT., a hefty drive from north Jersey where I lived. Got there and realized I had left my cord bag at home. One cord was my B3-to-Leslie multi-pin cable. Found a local Hammond store, hopped down there ASAP - they were just about to close - and they had a cable, but it would have cost me more than I would have made that night. Instead, I got a six-foot Leslie-to-Leslie jumper. Played the gig with the Leslie about four feet from my head.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I think a good idea is an "emergency kit" that is permanently kept in your vehicle, which contains, at a minimum, one standard power cord, one "figure 8" power cord, one guitar cable, one mic cable, one sustain pedal (switchable polarity), and one extra of any wall wart any of your boards (or other devices) may need. )

Don't forget spare fuses of your instruments and PA.

Per EscapeRocks' post, I just put yet another backup power supply into my Amazon cart. Only 10 bucks, had to make sure all the specs were good (it said PA150, but didn't list my keyboard, but polarity, wattage, voltage and plug are good). That makes 3 total not including my Moxf one (which I'll include when I sell it). At some point my first backup one will resurface, I know for sure it never left my house.

Going to just bite the bullet and have one main gear case and backup case despite it being overkill (and heavy) for every gig and practice. I have a rock and roller cart anyway it's not like I have to hoof it long distances like a pack mule, and it's not really that much stuff anyway.

In my youth I used to trip over wall-wart cables - probably because they weren't long enough. Broke enough adapters to teach me a lesson - the only power cables I permit in my rig are IEC and fig-8. (That's C13 and C7 I think?). Internal PSU or velcro a "lump-in-the-middle" PSU to the device.

Cheers, Mike.

Per EscapeRocks' post, I just put yet another backup power supply into my Amazon cart. Only 10 bucks, had to make sure all the specs were good (it said PA150, but didn't list my keyboard, but polarity, wattage, voltage and plug are good). That makes 3 total not including my Moxf one (which I'll include when I sell it). At some point my first backup one will resurface, I know for sure it never left my house.

Going to just bite the bullet and have one main gear case and backup case despite it being overkill (and heavy) for every gig and practice. I have a rock and roller cart anyway it's not like I have to hoof it long distances like a pack mule, and it's not really that much stuff anyway.

I leave a supply "bucket" (it's one of those portable gym lockers) in my car all the time. TBH it's probably not ideal, since it can get mighty hot in there. But never once have I been sorry it's there, only every-so-often grateful.

www.joshweinstein.com

Mistakes happen. I was doing a recording at a local TV show, and yes, I double checked everything. Yes, I arrived at the TV studio early for the shoot. While setting up the rig, I found I had left a power cable behind, which I typically pack into the keyboard case. Doh! Should I rush home?

The producer noticed my horrified expression, looked at my keyboard and then calmly walked me to the business office of the studio. There he invited me to borrow a cable from one of their office computers. it was a standard IEC C15. Crisis averted.

In my youth I used to trip over wall-wart cables - probably because they weren't long enough. Broke enough adapters to teach me a lesson - the only power cables I permit in my rig are IEC and fig-8. (That's C13 and C7 I think?). Internal PSU or velcro a "lump-in-the-middle" PSU to the device.

Cheers, Mike.

I don"t gig all the time, so I have a little bit more flexibility for preparation, and as either a soloist or a bandleader I don"t get blindsided by other needs. However, I have learned a few things in 10 years of running a music festival in the middle of the desert where getting to any kind of store for any kind of cable is essentially impossible in less than three hours.

I have a large contractors toolbox, the barely portable kind with the lid that"s designed to be stood on as an emergency stool, with internal trays and lots of space. Over the years, it has gradually built up a collection of everything from spare cables and all kinds of adapters to multi voltage wall warts, extras in certain critical voltages, Velcro, basic tools, spare footswitches, Two rolls of gaff tape in two different colors, and probably a lot of other stuff that I have forgotten. It hasn"t been necessary a lot, but when it has been, it has been a lifesaver. Anyone who comes out to the desert more than once has a good idea of what"s required, but anyone who comes out for the first time inevitably hasn"t prepared properly. It"s our policy to shrug, tell them they"re basically fucked, let them stew for half an hour, and then help them out. It pays to read all the emails I sent out warning you about this stuff.

Two unrelated answers to two random topics in this thread: I have no problem with wall warts. I designed my own distribution system for them with multiple outlet surge suppressors, extension cords, and gaff tape. None of the small cables are allowed to be anywhere near where people walk, and I find that noise is a lot less of a problem if I"m feeding DC to my keyboards rather than running a full power cable in a badly wired venue.

Also, anybody who relies on Wi-Fi for a vital connection outside of their own home, and doesn"t pack their own password protected isolated Wi-Fi network router in their bag, deserves everything they get. (Relying on Bluetooth for anything mission critical, no matter where you are, is Russian Roulette.)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music