Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer to reunite for upcoming tour.

Yeah, looks like it"s paywalled so not sure how I read the article. Sorry for the link.

Essentially, it"s concert film from a last tour. They"ll split screen Keith & Greg. Carl will play to his band mates video & audio.

Somehow, it seems far less creepy than the hologram presentations. It"s almost like orchestras performing live scores to accompany films.

It's kind of funny, because Emerson and Lake toured without Palmer who was doing an Asia tour back in 2010. They played to programmed drums which they referred to as "Carl in a Box". It was pretty impressive, the set list included Tarkus and Pirates, I saw them at the Sherman Theater in East Stroudsburg, PA.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer to reunite for upcoming tour

I had to check the date -- expected to see "April 1".......................

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

There's something extremely funny to me about the idea of a drummer going on an ego trip and touring without any of his bandmates. "I'm sorry, was someone complaining about the drum solo? I guess not because you're BOTH DEAD." :roll:
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

OY... Talk about a "Money Grab"... Almost as bad as the latest Genesis tour.

You are NOT The Rolling Stones! You have not sold your souls to the devil for eternal life! Give it up, already!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I won"t be going. I"ve been to several ELP concerts, and had the privilege of hanging out on stage during sound check and sharing a meal with Keith in the green room before the Emerson/Lake show in Merrillville, Indiana. So I"m content with that being my final live ELP show, albeit with 'Carl in a Box.' For someone who hasn"t seen them in concert, I can understand how this might have some appeal.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Ultimate goal is to land a residency in Vegas.

It's in the early planning stage, and I'll be surprised if it comes to fruition. It's just too creepy and cheap, and Carl is already doing his ELP Legacy thing with live musicians anyway.

Article is a very interesting read despite the issues involving actually reading it. Among other things, trying to revive an interest in ELP comparable to the Doors may be a bit of wishful thinking.

Doors: 7 Platinum LPs.

ELP: None.

(and yeah I looked that up :laugh: )

• Wow! 1

Doors: 7 Platinum LPs.

ELP: None.

(and yeah I looked that up :laugh: )

Seems odd that none of their albums reached platinum status considering worldwide sales are estimated at 48 million albums. Just about everyone I knew had Brain Salad Surgery in high school....Weird.

CP is obviously very proud of ELP's musical accomplishments and still has it in him to perform. Without KE and GL though, the whole thing is kinda weird. It'll probably attract the die hard ELP fans initially, but as far as a long running Vegas residency goes, it might be wishful thinking on his part.

• Like 1

Lately, there have been presentations of 1970s & '80s films with one of the stars on hand to give a talk before or after. Ex John Cleese with Monty Python & The Holy Grail, William Shatner with ST: Wrath of Khan. I"ve never been to one.

Would it be weird, creepy, money grabbing, etc. if the ELP concert film were shown & Carl gave a pre- or post-viewing talk?

I immediately thought of this header as a zombie movie.

Emerzombie tries to do a solo with the big pitch ribbon, but the squibs go wrong and blow his arms into the audience.

What a Halloween showstoppper! :shudder::Python:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I won"t be going. I"ve been to several ELP concerts, and had the privilege of hanging out on stage during sound check and sharing a meal with Keith in the green room before the Emerson/Lake show in Merrillville, Indiana. So I"m content with that being my final live ELP show, albeit with 'Carl in a Box.' For someone who hasn"t seen them in concert, I can understand how this might have some appeal.

I saw ELP on the Brain Salad Surgery tour, they rocked.

I saw them again on the disastrous tour that started with a full orchestra and fell apart as they worked their way west. Being in Fresno, it was ELP and nobody else. They seemed drained of all energy and spirit, the show was nothing like the BSS tour show.

And I saw Carl Palmer playing with Asia when they toured. Didn't like the songs or the band but Carl did throw down an incredible drum solo, for what that is worth.

I will be missing this one, it's a bit on the weird side, not quite ELP Karaoke but close.

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The latest Genesis tour is being seen as enjoyable and a well-suited farewell. "Money grab" is relative.

Yes, we've all seen some cheap shots, but Phil sang from a CHAIR. I've seen them twice and IMO, it was a good concert video.

If they need the money for medical purposes, taxes and alimony, where would my nose fit into their personal business, anyway?

However, Taylor Swift has been alternately animatronic or a hologram since 2011.

• Haha 1

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

This conversation got me wondering whether or not Whitney's hologram is still performing somewhere.

Yep... an extended gig at Harrah's in Vegas.

https://basehologram.com/productions

They've also got Maria Callas singing in Europe, and Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison touring together - compete with illusory guitars.

For something really unusual, read the embedded article about Buddy Holly's wife being reunited with him in hologram form.

Well it is Halloween weekend.

Lately, there have been presentations of 1970s & '80s films with one of the stars on hand to give a talk before or after. Ex John Cleese with Monty Python & The Holy Grail, William Shatner with ST: Wrath of Khan. I"ve never been to one.

Would it be weird, creepy, money grabbing, etc. if the ELP concert film were shown & Carl gave a pre- or post-viewing talk?

I saw Vincent Bugliosi, prosecuting attorney, speak after a showing of Helter Skelter, the 1976 production starring Steve Railsback as Manson. That was pretty f*cking weird.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Palmer is experimenting. If his own ex-ELP Palmer with band tour were really doing well would he be doing this EL on Jumbotron and Palmer tour? He wants / needs to make a living.

There are many levels to making a living. Money is relative. A homeless person who manages to stay alive by panhandling is making a living. No matter where you are on the scale how many people would choose to dramatically lower the standard of living they are accustomed to?

money grab An undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort.

It may be relatively easier to make as much money when compared to alternatives but is this truly an easy ride for anyone? With Genesis, the man with the most money looks to be struggling the most. It seems pretty clear that he is doing this for his Genesis band mates. Who can fault them for utilizing their life's work to keep their castles on the English countryside?

I am sure Tony Banks could busk uptown somewherever he lives and bring home some income. Or he could utilize his legacy while he still has the original band since there were three. Rutherford and Banks tried and quickly abandoned a run at Genesis without Collins. They never wanted him to leave. Phil has rarely wanted to continue as the lead singer and drummer of Genesis. This tour may be their last chance.

Maybe if everyone were receiving lots of money from record sales and airplay they might not be doing this at their ages.

I wouldn't go even if they paid me. It sounds a bit too close to necrophilia to me. Carl seems to be a decent dude, I can't understand why he accepted to take part in such a farce.

I have seen ELP playing live a few times, and that's the memory I want to keep.

• Like 2

Gross.

This. I can"t think of a worse idea more repulsive than a drummer playin to video right and left of his two dead band mates.

I was fortunate to see ELP once in the latter 70s. Amazing show, albeit I enjoyed Yes even more (diff show, same era). Yes was a more complete band with more complete songs imo, weirdly personal and entirely subjective impression i know. We all think something eh?

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

The first time I saw Palmer play before 'Atomic Roooster' was when I was a little kid and was able to get in The Electric Factory in Philadelphia (non-alcohol club) to watch, 'The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown'.

Vincent Crane's Hammond organ playing was impressive. Palmer did a drum solo that was long and fantastic I still remember almost Buddy Rich-like. (I said almost) (I also viewed live Buddy Rich at Steel Pier in those days and was only several feet away during his 'West Side Story' drum solo) . I got Buddy's autograph (long lost) and told him, "I have all your big band albums!" (I was a young teenager). He said back, "GOOD FOR YOU, KID!!" Lol! Andre Watts and Jay Corre were playing saxophone

WH

I wouldn't go even if they paid me. It sounds a bit too close to necrophilia to me. Carl seems to be a decent dude, I can't understand why he accepted to take part in such a farce.

I have seen ELP playing live a few times, and that's the memory I want to keep.

Who knows what the future holds. (perhaps on-topic being today is Halloween) It could get weirder and more creepy with high-tech medical science. What if they cloned Chopin, Lizst even Lennon - Orbison? Would the offspring have the same music talent? If singers, would they have the same voice? Could a cloned Paganini play the violin near as good? They could get DNA from Chopin's heart pickled in a Polish church. This is controversial and rejected notion today but who knows the values of the future.

WH

Maybe this is a symptom of what comes out the closer things get to your own backyard but reaction to this is more bizarre than the tour concept.

These keyboard-centric bands are some keyboard guys heroes. Would you feel this way if the one alive presenting this tour concept were Emerson?

Sex with corpses? Performing clones? Maybe a bad idea, maybe in bad taste...... but "gross"? SMH

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Perhaps Carl Palmer is trying to pull a Michael Jackson and have his bandmates perform in hologram form.

It's a pretty cool concept, but I really wish Keith and Greg were still alive. I think we all do!

He said no to the hologram , too creepy and they aren't good anyway. so they are on video screens instead. Thankfully even Dio's long divorced "widow" ended up canning that horrible hologram show, which was panned by most fans. That was bloody fake and awful!