Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Farewell to Alan Hawkshaw

This is a bit belated as I've been busy with other things, but I couldn't not mention the passing of Alan Hawkshaw last week. Sadly, he had been ill for some time after suffering a stroke. A superb Hammond player and composer of so much well-known library and TV music which created the soundtrack of my generation. Latterly, Alan's work was sampled by the likes of De La Soul, Ariane Grande and Nicki Minaj. "I had to ring my daughter up and ask her who this 'Jay Zed' character was!" he once recalled. Much of Alan's work has been posted before on the forum but here's one of my favourites, a collaboration with Brian Bennett (another remarkable musical polymath, happily still with us)...

[video:youtube]

If you've never heard the name before, this obit in The Guardian will enlighten you: Clonk

Farewell, Alan, and thanks for all the music.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the brief historical intersection between early synth use and 60s white-tux nightclub jazz. People such as Herbie Hancock and Bernie Worrell took up part of it, but for a time, it was a common item in TV and movies. This was a pleasant revisiting. Kudos to Alan!

I wanna be the papal nuncio of Las Vegas.
I won't burn long, but I'll burn hot.

Thanks Aidan.

My Dad emailed me about Alan Hawkshaw's passing the other day. He was a big fan of him as a younger player, and still has some of his LPs (playing the Philicorda!).

A few years ago I sent a message via Hawkshaw's website, thanking him for his incredible music, and included a link to my own performance of "Senior Thump" played with some friends over here. He was kind enough to email me the following day saying that he enjoyed watching the video and hoped that I continue to have fun with music. I was so chuffed!

Okay, time to head over to YouTube to enjoy some of his KPM recordings!

RIP William!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.