Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A New Chapter for Rhodes

this is the angle I have been looking for. Outputs similar to Yamaha CP 70/80

HQTRLF.jpg

And this confirms my speculation about the large front panel. Top right corner of the photo shows additional controls not visible in the head-on photo a few posts above. Must be a modular system for adding on board effects.

I assume the large front panel is designed as such to accommodate the several optional onboard effects -- some sort of modular system.

Hey folks. Regarding the front panel- in order to fit in the large PCB"s (the Fx board especially has many BBD chips on) Axel Hartmann designed a beautiful front panel which accommodates the boards flush in a vertical orientation. It simply wasn"t possible to fit the advanced electronics into a panel the size of a Mk1 or 2 and in the 90 degree config that the old suitcase boards have, as that would have resulted in them not fitting at all.

If you have any questions regarding the mechanics/electronics send them on and I"ll answer best I can. Thanks for all your interest, I"ve been reading all your comments! ð

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

Hi, thanks for joining in the conversation!

Was there a goal to reduce carrying weight of this modern Rhodes? If so, where did you find areas that could be done?

Also, especially with earlier models - action was very inconsistent. Some played very well while others simply didn"t. In your opinion, how does the new action design differ from earlier models. And how does it perform with regard to dynamic range and how players will compare it to other instruments?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Was there a goal to reduce carrying weight of this modern Rhodes? If so, where did you find areas that could be done?

Also, especially with earlier models - action was very inconsistent. Some played very well while others simply didn"t. In your opinion, how does the new action design differ from earlier models. And how does it perform with regard to dynamic range and how players will compare it to other instruments?

All that woodcase and top was a lot of the weight and could be replaced with lighter materials, but for strength the right lighter material can be expensive.

Inconsistency especially early was a fact of life coming from guitar/bass world very used to it. All those parts had tolerances and hand assembled so a lot of variables in why one instrument plays and sounds great and the one made right after it wasn't as good. CNC machines have solved a lot in reducing variances in parts and that's a big help. Then Rhodes used different materials over the decades so lots of things to change sound and action. Last the one thing not in Rhodes control is the player.

All that woodcase and top was a lot of the weight and could be replaced with lighter materials, but for strength the right lighter material can be expensive.

Inconsistency especially early was a fact of life coming from guitar/bass world very used to it. All those parts had tolerances and hand assembled so a lot of variables in why one instrument plays and sounds great and the one made right after it wasn't as good. CNC machines have solved a lot in reducing variances in parts and that's a big help. Then Rhodes used different materials over the decades so lots of things to change sound and action. Last the one thing not in Rhodes control is the player.

Out of curiosity, have you given a Vintage Vibe piano a spin? Body wise, they sort of married a Wurly and a Rhodes to reduce wait. Wooden action and tines of course. It has its own sound, but it is like a Rhodes. I guess it depends what their goals are with this first series out the gate.

Out of curiosity, have you given a Vintage Vibe piano a spin? Body wise, they sort of married a Wurly and a Rhodes to reduce wait. Wooden action and tines of course. It has its own sound, but it is like a Rhodes. I guess it depends what their goals are with this first series out the gate.

No, have only heard Youtubes of VV and there are VV's in the Keyscape package. The VV sound doesn't knock me out it, definitely is a unique sound of its own. I more of the early Rhodes sounds like the Sparkle tops.

Pleasure- yeah reducing weight has been a big part of the plan and we have managed to significantly reduce weight in the case and the main frames but keep the core Rhodes tone intact and still use a wood/tolexed case. We did some detailed analysis and emulations in software and also by experimenting with many different designs and materials to see where we could safely reduce weight without compromising the integrity and sound and I think we have struck a nice balance.

A Rhodes is never going to be light but the Mk8 73 weighs less than the MKV, which was until now the lightest Rhodes. In fact, it weighs in close to the old Rhodes 54 note model without its transport lid on. And that's for the 73-note model. Also by keeping the case wood (but changing the type of wood) and by using lighter weight aluminium frameworks, the acoustic noises are kept to a min and we use a thicker plastic lid which helps with rigidity and sound insulation too. Having said that, due to the new hammer tip design, and by using high quality thicker felt all round, there is very little in the way of extraneous acoustic noise escaping compared to the older Rhodes models too.

In regards to consistency, we have built many prototypes which have all setup consistently in terms of mechanics, feel and sonics and we have used modern manufacturing methods where appropriate. Working with Kluge Klaviaturen (Steinway Group) on the keybed has really paid dividends as the piano feels much more nuanced, the quality of the keyboard is stunning mechanically and visually and the dynamic range is now much wider but very controllable too. Key bounce is also massively reduced compared to old Rhodes models as I completely re-engineered the dampers, hammer profile, key pedestals and changed some key action dimensions. Also, we are hand buidling these and action rail placement is crucial for a great feeling piano, and we spend a lot of time on details like this during setup. Compared to all old Rhodes- the Mk8 has very precise intonation with snappy attacks and precise note-off's when the keys are released. But the important thing, it sounds like a Rhodes should and the new tines sounds round and full, so those earlier tones can be reproduced too, as well as the later tones. I have spent over 20 years servicing and restoring every model of Rhodes, from 60's Sparkletops, right through the many iterations of the MK1, plus the MK2, MK3 EK-10, MKV and the MK7, so collating all the best bits of all the models over the years has been invaluable in building and designing the Mk8.

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

• 2 weeks later...

Some news coming up here:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/rhodes-mk8-images-and-tech-specs-revealed

Weight is 34 kg :o Definitely too much for me to use as a stage piano :( It's a bit of pity as it's equipped with 1/4" jack outputs together with 2 XLR outputs, so perfect for a stage setup.

I see it then definitely as a board for pro players who can afford to hire roadies lol.

No MIDI input/output but USB connectivity, apparently only for firmware updates.

Still no info regarding prices. So let's wait and see.

The more that comes out about this new Rhodes is making it an easy "I'll pass" for me. Agree the price is going to be too tall once announced. The weight still too high. All the electronics they talk about make sounds like actually vintage Rhodes sound is going to be an afterthought. Sounds like they would be better off not calling it Rhodes MK8 and just come up with a new name. Calling it Rhodes setting too many expectations in people's minds.

In the guitar world recreations/reissues of vintage models a very big sellers, but they pick a specific year and model and recreate it as closely as they can with modern parts/materials. I think if someone did that with a Rhodes it would sell like crazy and create an open for other year/model of Rhodes. No modern changes just a recreation of a classic year and model Rhodes.

I"m gonna wait till I actually hear it before I make any judgements.

Regarding pricing, there"s no reason why it shouldn"t cost less than a decent upright. My Kawai K300J (which I"m disappointed in to be honest) cost about $7500 AUD. I imagine the new Rhodes should cost at least that.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

All the electronics they talk about make sounds like actually vintage Rhodes sound is going to be an afterthought.

I'm still cutting them some slack in this regard but did have a visceral reaction against the USB input "for future firmware updates." In my mind, a "real" Rhodes does not have firmware.

Heheh.

I"m sure we all appreciate a venture like this requires an obsession with the classic tine piano of yesteryear and guts to bankroll the venture or find an investor. I"d like to sit down with a Mk8 for a few hours even if it"s out of my budget.

Well, if accurate. That"s a pretty clear sign than the price will be stratospheric.

And after Brexit, for europaen customers even more ´cause sales taxes, VAT and the usually high shipping costs might make it unaffordable or inefficient for the most.

A.C.

... the USB input "for future firmware updates." In my mind, a "real" Rhodes does not have firmware.

I guess it´s necessary for (some) FX which are advertised as analog but might be digitally controlled to save settings.

I also undestand some preamp/FX features will be optional,- so there might be an upgrade path from an available passive model.

From that point it´s up to youwhich options you choose,- one or the full package incl. cosmetic stuff like walnut case etc..

Monday, we might know what the basic model will cost in UK at least.

A.C.

"the website will be officially live with all the details on the 1st November so we"ve got another month of titbits and teases to go.

There will be a 'MK8 customiser engine' which will let you choose from a range of colours, sparkle finishes and whether it comes with the stereo effects and a stand."

Nov 01 almost gone in europe,- Leeds/UK included ...

So where´s the site ?

I registered weeks ago,- and all I see is still the registration site.

clonk

:confused:

A.C.