Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for new headphones

In that price range, I think it's hard to go wrong with the Sony MDR 7506, under $100 (before tax and shipping, if applicable)

Contrarian view, but I hated mine. I bought them on recommendation and to my ears they sounded way too tinny and strident. My mixes all came out way too dark and muddy as a result. Perhaps I'd gotten used to the AKG K240, but this is a much less expensive headphone that I think sounds a lot smoother and better balanced.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I am using Superlux 668b

I have most of the ones mentioned above...Sony 7506...Audio Technica M50 X and AKG 240. Superlux is the one I pick most of the time for digital piano..

Many people probably sneer at this choice because they are made in China and sell for 35 to 40 dollars most of th

I like them a lot for music listening as well.

Right now I am using Superlux 668b

I have most of the ones mentioned above...Sony 7506...Audio Technica M50 X and AKG 240. Superlux is the one I pick most of the time for digital piano..

Many people probably sneer at this choice because they are made in China and sell for 35 to 40 dollars most of th

I like them a lot for music listening as well.

I am also a happy Superlux 668b user (I recommended them earlier in this thread). Having used, lost, and broken other headphones over the years - some of which cost a ton of money - I really enjoy how well-rounded the 668b sound, and how they really can hold their own against my other cans. And I can take them to gigs, knock em around and such without worrying about a three (or four) figure investment.

i've found nothing better than these. sometimes, with luck, you can find them on sale for 100 bucks. if so grab them.

Audio Technica ATH M50x

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

+1

I saw them as sort of a middling brand. I was wrong. Love mine!

I make software noises.

i've found nothing better than these. sometimes, with luck, you can find them on sale for 100 bucks. if so grab them.

Audio Technica ATH M50x

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

+1

I found a hardly used pair (of M50x) on craigslist for $65. It turns out he was young, listened to hiphop and wanted something with more bass. He had all the chords, bag and they looked brand new and I've been happy with them, although they don't get much use, hence why I wasn't going to pay $149.

I've been very lucky selling and buying on craigslist. Nothing but nice honest people and I love a good deal :hitt:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Audio Technica ATH M50x

+1

I have a set of those as well. They replaced the K240Ms that used to be a tracking staple in my studio.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'll be honest, I don't think very much of K240s. They're "nice sounding", but kind of immature. Lots of hype. We used them in the local TV studio edit rooms where (frankly) the audio quality outside of the voiceover was never going to be high art, and they were fine for that. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust a 240 to be accurate, and being semi-open, they wouldn't be my first choice for tracking. They do make good listening headphones though.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?