Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cloud Project Collaboration Options (Ableton backing tracks)

I've been getting into producing some backing tracks for a group I'm in, but I'm finding it really really hard to manage them uploading them up to the cloud. I'm a PC guy, and since I'm collaborating with a Mac guy (who is also a PC guy). currently using Google drive, but it appears that the uploads are not very smart : He's a two hour drive away, so the ability to sneakernet files is out of the question.

Requirements:

* Don't make me upload or manage the upload of files that haven't changed.

* Sync locally

* Bonus points: Version history and/or version control, email notification

I've used OneDrive and it has worked very well, but it's not really supported int he same way on the Mac, so that's out.

Google drive has issues for me. It appears that I have to upload all the files, even if they have not changed.(e.g., if I change the Ableton project file, but not the underlying sample audio file). When you're talking about dozens fo tunes and 1000's of minutes of 44.1/16 bit audio, it it painful and wasteful.

Dropbox?

Something else?

I don't mind spending some money on a solution, but it's got to be a good solution - efficient, solid, and a company that isn't likely to go out of business.

Does the big KC brain have any suggestions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked on a project with my friend in Tokyo, but I'm thinking it may be pretty different. We each had files to upload, but they weren't the same files: he'd send me tracks in order for me to add keys and vocals to (and do a mix or two later), while I'd send him back stems of what I did or finished mixes. File sizes of course meant we needed something other than email.

He used amazon file storage while I used google...no problems for either of us to access, but again we were not working on the same file or at least not at the same time, and there was no need to sync locally. Most of the time we were both on Mac, but I also used my PC to grab some files just to listen to some stuff.

So in short I guess I'll ask: how necessary is it for the cloud storage to be "smart"?

Dropbox should handle it. Assuming your project is in a consistent folder, along with the related audio files, only the project file itself will sync between users if the audio files haven't changed. Assuming you use it as intended, with each user installing the dropbox application on their computer (rather than just uploading files through the web page and giving the other person a link), then everything will sync locally shortly after the other person changes it. Of course, there's some danger in the other person not knowing what they're doing and deleting things, not knowing that they will be deleted or you, too, so I always keep a copy of stuff outside the dropbox folder to serve as a backup. Dropbox doesn't offer any kind of version controls to my knowledge, but you can set it up to send e-mail notifications to the other person when you've changed something. They keep shrinking the size of the free account, so you may have to spring for a paid level. A friend of mine bought the family plan and lets me use that, since we're working on a project, and if you can split the cost, and have use for dropbox outside of this project, it could be a good way to go.

To echo Jonathan above- I think a paid Dropbox account is well worth it, and tax deductible. :)

I maintain a bunch of cloud drives for various clients with all the stuff I do. Google drive, One Drive, Apple, Box, Pcloud, and Dropbox.

Google drive used to be great but can be wonky with sharing, and the Gdrive webpage is a hard to navigate with a large directory. Box and PCloud work very well and are competitively priced.. Dropbox tends to be the most reliable across platforms, and it's user interface and apps have worked best for me using multiple computers and tablets. Also simplest for sharing/collaborating. IOS integration tends to be the achilles heel for most cloud services. Gdrive and Dropbox do that pretty well.

I can speak specifically for Dropbox using Abelton, I do tracks for my two Sunday morning Church gigs, and often load my Live set files remotely onto their stage Macs the day before (using Splashtop to remotely log in). Dbox has been the easiest to move files around, and keep track of tweaks.

You probably already know this, but it's important when using Live to always do a "Collect all and Save" when you make your Abelton folders so all the samples are part of the file and folder. More important to remind your collaborator to do the same. When I deal with remote session clients, I've found the safest method is to start with zip files, so you (and they) always have a return point. Then have the other user save current working file with a new revision number, or name .

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.