Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NGD!

wraub

The serial number dates to 2019, according to info online. It's my first "real" Strat in quite a while, as I've been playing a Delonge Strat for years, but I wanted the real thing again. This one fits the bill perfectly.

It has a one-piece maple neck w/ a skunk stripe, and it's my first maple neck guitar ever. I like it very much so far, nice feel and decent frets and nut, and as a bonus the neck appears to be quartersawn with nice straight grain lines running the length of the neck. The guitar weighs 6 lbs 8 ozs and balances perfectly.

I think it may have the original strings on it, and they play fine, but today I'll be doing a full deep clean on the guitar and changing to one of the sets I have on hand. The stock pickups have staggered magnets and sound exactly how I want a Strat to sound, every setting of the 5 way switch is usable and all sound really good. I see no reason to mess with the pickups at all, even the heights seem right. The tuners look kinda cheap and feel a little stiff, the basic trapezoids, but I'm hoping they wear in a bit. If not, I have others. Overall, the guitar looks pretty much brand new and doesn't seem to have been played much. The finish on the neck feels nice and looks really thin.

Issues? The hardware seems like it's made just well enough to be acceptable, and there was a finish flaw on the back of the neck that a few minutes with an abrasive pad took care of. Minor issues, to be sure, and overall, it's really pretty good. Also, the seller had lost the vibrato bar, so that needs replacing, but I got a good price.

So, it's light, plays well, feels great and sounds really good, looks okay, and cost not a lot. I had intended to go nuts modding it, but I'm leaving it as is and I'll play it until something breaks...then I'll likely fix that and continue. Leo did it right, It's great cheap fun.

Now, I guess I need to look for another Strat to mod... Oh, well.

Pics-

20211019-211849.jpg20211020-073505.jpg

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Niiiiiiiiiiiice... ! :cool::rawk:

I think it looks great! Very "1954".

And I bet it does sound really good!

You're in luck, there are so many great options out there if the time ever comes to replace or upgrade any of the hardware that "seems like it's made just well enough to be acceptable".

As I so often do, I highly recommend DR Pure Blues strings, 10's or 11's. You'd probably have to slightly adjust the pickup heights, most likely a small increase in height on the bass-side, a little closer to the strings. And, of course, the intonation. But I'd be surprised if those strings didn't make it sound like you'd upgraded the electronics or even the pickups, the increase in quality in the mids and upper-mids is that good.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks, all. :)

It's really a lot of fun, lightweight and eminently playable. It is not great to most, but to me it's a freaking blast to play and it sounds great, too. The fact it was so cheap to me is a nice bonus. I really can't believe I waited so long to get another, and I like this one better then the last one I had. :)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

The fact it was so cheap to me is a nice bonus.

I love cheapo guitars, that is all I have left after selling my 3 or 4 Gibson's and my Philip Petillo Custom. Now all I have is my Ibanez RG321 (300 bucks with hard shell case many years ago) My Agile Strat Clone, that was also $300 or so with hard-shell case and another $150 for the Fender Vintage Noiseless pups many years ago, both bought brand new. And my homemade parts caster which is Fender like in looks. All guitars with 25-1/2" scale. Cheapo is great, it don't matter if someone steals them, or you put a few dings in them, no big financial loss. And truth be told I am getting way better tone with those 3 guitars and my 2-15 watt amps with hemp cone speakers. I have had many expensive guitars, and many expensive amps, and I am super satisfied with the play ability and tone I get from these cheapo items.