Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Monday October 18, Mac Rumors Abound

https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/12/apple-october-event-announcement/

https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/12/apple-is-going-unleashed-for-an-october-18-event/

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/another-apple-event-october-18-could-unleash-next-gen-silicon-macs/

M1X MacBook Pros is the chatter,, beefier graphics performance - possibly with the ports users have been asking for?

HDMI? USB-C? SD Card Slot? Return of the Mag Safe adapters? Mini LED Backlighting?

WIll the Mac Mini already get an M1X bump?

https://www.gearnews.com/apple-leak-new-macbook-pro-14-and-16-and-a-mac-pro-with-40-cores/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m waiting new iMacs (pro or otherwise) with a 32' screen and 64gig of RAM to replace my aging late 2014 iMac

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I'm pretty used to my 2016 MBP with the four usb-c ports by now. I have dongles or adapters for any non-usb stuff (including hdmi). I hate dongles for my phone because I'm always moving it around and connecting different things to it, but my MBP stays put.

I'm not ready to replace it but still interested with what they come up with. My wife needs a laptop for her home business, she only wants a mac, and frankly even the air is far more power than what she needs but she wants a bigger screen than 13...so she'll probably end up with a machine that smokes mine to view her docs on :).

I use a 32" 2k monitor with my laptop, have an inexpensive but really nice swinging arm it mounts to. Can't be more pleased. That's the perfect size and resolution for me.

Definitely in the market for the new 16 MBP - based on the discussions on the forums here the M1 chip is a big leap performance wise and keen to experience it.

I wish they made a larger air. Not for me, for my wife--she doesn't want windows, and wants a larger screen. Believe me I've tried to convince her that windows 10 is fine, my work laptop is a nice HP.

So ironically she'll have to get a power machine when all she mainly does is do email and work in excel. It'll run circles around the one I'm using (and occasionally taxing out) for music :D

As tempted as I am by the new 14" MacBook Pro, I recognize that it's basically a luxury I can live without. These things really were built for cutting-edge professional use in areas where monster computational capability is the name of the game. That's largely in graphics and video, not so much in audio production. After all, an 8K ProRes video stream consists of more than one hundred times as much data per second as 5.1 surround at 24 bit 96kHz. Real-time rendering of 3D visuals has been pushing the cutting edge for quite some time and we largely get to ride their coattails when it comes to technology investment.

The reality is that latency is high on our list of considerations, so single-threaded performance tends to gate our gains on that front. The M1 Pro and M1 Max offer pretty much the same single core performance as the M1. The bigger wins probably come from the ability to configure more RAM (up to 64GB on the M1 Max equipped hardware.)

I love the screen technology introduced in the new systems and I'm in awe of the raw computational capability which is most beneficial outside of my primary use cases. It looks like an absolute beast, but I'm seriously considering holding out for another generation or two of architectural and manufacturing gains rather than loading up on these beasts. That doesn't mean I won't be drooling over them, just that I realize the "Pro" class hardware is largely aimed at solving problems I don't have.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I've been very pleased with my M1 Air, 1TB hd and 16G RAM. I was considering waiting for these, but happy I didn't wait. TBH, the Air does everything I need and more, and is perfect for my audio needs.

I am, however, somewhat anxiously awaiting the news on the larger iMac. I'm rocking a late 2013 model 27", maxed 32G RAM. Still working well, but thinking it may be time to upgrade. But based on the price increase of the MBP, I fear sticker shock may be forecast for this model as well....:(

I also see Logic 10.7 will require Big Sur. They are so very good at pushing an upgrade.

Logic 10.7 requires Big Sur. Big Sur cuts off hardware earlier than:

MacBook (2015 or later)

MacBook Air (2013 or later)

MacBook Pro (Late 2013 or later)

Mac mini (2014 or later)

iMac (2014 or later)

iMac Pro (2017 or later)

Mac Pro (2013 or later)

New Macs are almost all M1 or M1 Pro hardware with the exception of the Xeon based Mac Pro which will be replaced next.

The 14' MacBook Pro is indeed pricey. They are clearly delineating between what hardware is Pro and what isn"t.

If you aren"t editing video, and you don"t need the beefed up graphics of the M1 Pro - music/audio software is running really well on lesser hardware - current M1 models and Intel Macs from the last 5-9 years. At some point Apple killed off a lot of older Macs by requiring a graphics card that can run Metal.

Well, I guess I'll just get one of the M1 Minis. Probably more than enough power for me anyway.

Despite the rumors, I bought an M1 Mac Mini last week from the Apple Refurbished stock. 16gb ram, 512 gb SSD. $929 plus tax. I have a monitor I used with my 2014 MacBook Pro, which still soldiers on but the Mini smokes it for audio. I have a keyboard and mouse too, might get a better keyboard if I can find a bargain.

Something's lost and something's gained, not all of my plugins can be installed. I had way too many anyway, still do. In a few years, the latest and greatest from 2022 will be bargains.

The cutting edge is always dripping blood, better to stay a bit behind.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

New Macs are almost all M1 or M1 Pro hardware with the exception of the Xeon based Mac Pro which will be replaced next.

The 21.5" and 27" iMac are still on Intel, too.

I think I'll get a 14" MBP but I'm strangely unenthusiastic about it. Lot of coin, that $$$ could buy a great hardware instrument.

I think I'll get a 14" MBP but I'm strangely unenthusiastic about it. Lot of coin, that $$$ could buy a great hardware instrument.

There is a 24" iMac that is M1, which is the same size as the old 21.5", just bezel-less. The rumor is the 27" will get the same treatment and become a 30" with M1 or M1X...that's what I have my eye on.

There is a 24" iMac that is M1, which is the same size as the old 21.5", just bezel-less. The rumor is the 27" will get the same treatment and become a 30" with M1 or M1X...that's what I have my eye on.

Quite possible. This would be maybe the new iMac Pro - it will be priced as such no doubt. Good monitors of that size are $300+, iMacs are usually the best bet.

These things really were built for cutting-edge professional use in areas where monster computational capability is the name of the game. That's largely in graphics and video, not so much in audio production.

This has been my main concern with Apple, they always have full throttle enhancements for graphics and visual arts while audio enhancements seem to be relegated to better Zoom meetings!

But I do have to give them credit this time around, the headphone jack now supports high-impedance headphones! That is a nice update! And of course the Core Audio OS features are well done.

As tempted as I am by the new 14" MacBook Pro, I recognize that it's basically a luxury I can live without. These things really were built for cutting-edge professional use in areas where monster computational capability is the name of the game. That's largely in graphics and video, not so much in audio production. After all, an 8K ProRes video stream consists of more than one hundred times as much data per second as 5.1 surround at 24 bit 96kHz. Real-time rendering of 3D visuals has been pushing the cutting edge for quite some time and we largely get to ride their coattails when it comes to technology investment.

The reality is that latency is high on our list of considerations, so single-threaded performance tends to gate our gains on that front. The M1 Pro and M1 Max offer pretty much the same single core performance as the M1. The bigger wins probably come from the ability to configure more RAM (up to 64GB on the M1 Max equipped hardware.)

I love the screen technology introduced in the new systems and I'm in awe of the raw computational capability which is most beneficial outside of my primary use cases. It looks like an absolute beast, but I'm seriously considering holding out for another generation or two of architectural and manufacturing gains rather than loading up on these beasts. That doesn't mean I won't be drooling over them, just that I realize the "Pro" class hardware is largely aimed at solving problems I don't have.

This!

I was holding out to see what Apple did with the mini and Macbook Pro to replace my 13" mid 2014 Pro. I gig with the Macbook Pro but think will replace it with a Mini and see if I can get my iPad Pro to act as a screen (if I need to see what is going on - most of the time i dont). The price difference from entry level mac mini at £699 and macbook pro at £1299 for 13" or £1899 for 14" is too great for my use case

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

I find it amazing that only myself and Mark Zeger are the only ones on here who are furious that the baseline Pro just got bumped from $1300 to $2000. My 2014 Pro has a non-crappy pre-butterfly debacle keyboard, HDMI port, SDMC slot, 2 Thunderbolt ports, 2 USB3 ports, MagSafe power adapter. No thanks Apple, I'll see what you do with the next Air, YOU GREEDY A** IDIOTS.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

I doubt anyone is happy about it, but it is what it is. I have been strongly leaning toward jumping ship after the 2016 models and seeing the focus of the company (which was all about form over function). The M1 chips came out of nowhere (to me) and were a positive sign, as was talk of the different ports so you didn't need a dongle for everything (though frankly since mine doesn't move, it's no big deal). Over time I have more than enough plugins to make it easy to use any DAW, so I could end up on Windows if Apple prices themselves too high. I've used both Apple and Dos/Windows going back to the late 80s and I don't have a dog in the hunt.

Apple has been focusing more and more on the video market and and view audio as just a fringe benefit. I remember back when I was still working in post and Apple talking about even dumping Logic it is a major PIA for Apple. Then Final Cut became huge and Apple saw FC and Logic generated a lot of hardware sales. So Apple loves video market and tolerates audio since video needs audio creators too.

Logic / MainStage, Final Cut, the phones/iPad, the App Store and Apple TV all working together somehow keep people around. They design good hardware and software. Good thing there are alternatives though or I can"t imagine what prices would be like.