Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweetwater Soliciting Calls

I've been getting soliciting calls from Sweetwater. I had to write to them to put me on their do not call list. Sweetwater is aggressive and it's the only music vendor that makes soliciting calls to my cell phone. They need to realize that it can also drive customers away. I was looking into buying a Motion Sound KP series amp, but I didn't want to buy from Sweetwater. I found out that Musicians' Friend and its sister company Woodwind & Brasswind carry them also. I also buy from Kraft Music (always get some accessories for the same price) and B&H. B&H is interesting in that they do carry a lot of things including sound gear. I try my best to not shop from Amazon, either. Often I find better deals at B&H. Recently I bought speakers and an iPad 12.9 M1 from B&H and used their Payboo card to avoid the state sales tax. I pay off in the same month.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting - how long have you been getting these?

As a long time SW customer, I can't remember EVER getting unsolicited phone calls from them. Maybe I've just escaped the marketing department database and i've just jinxed it.

Now, I get thank you emails from my rep whenever I make a purchase, but I presume we all get that. But not solicitation phone calls - I only get those from auto extended warranty people these days.

LOL. You might have jinxed it! The calls will keep you away from SW. I've been getting calls for a number of years. On other forums, people now talk about SW using pre-recorded calls. Some of the posts are over 13 years old. So I know that this has been going on for some time. I toyed with the idea of getting Spacestation X, but Sweetwater is the only dealer, and it was easy for me to say no and look for an alternative. I had purchased my ssv3 from SW before.

You can check out all these posts about SW pesky calls. sweetwater soliciting calls

I get a call twice a year. I never answer my phone unless I'm expecting the call so it's not a big deal. Besides, the guy's phone voice is so affected that the messages crack me up. He's got a high voice that he's trying to make lower, and he's speaking with preternatural calm. Dude, you're in a cubical and you're on commission. You're stressed. You're not fooling anybody.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I get a call once or twice annually. It's a friendly call - no aggressive sales behavior.

That's been my experience as well. My rep is Carson McClain - I think he handles much of the West Coast - and I might get one or two calls a year. Never pushy, just checking in, and most of the time they roll to voicemail anyway.

I will say that every purchasing experience with Sweetwater has been super smooth, and their customer service is top notch. And I've seen the other side of the equation as well: when I was manufacturing the drawbar controller, they were my main US dealer, so I got to experience them from the vendor side, and they were great on that end too. They have a really nice B2B portal for managing purchase orders and invoices, and they always paid on time, every time. Just never any issues with them. Easy peasy.

When you add all that up, I have never felt anything less than that they are a really well-run company that treats both their customers and their vendors well.

Sweetwater encourages their reps to build rapport with customers. So in addition to thank you's when you place an order you can expect an occasional "how's it going" call from your rep. If you object, just say so and they won't call you again. I, for one, appreciate a supplier who makes an attempt to stay in touch with my needs.

I gave them my work number at my last order. That was years ago because every time they pestered me at work on my phone I would buy from somewhere else. I hate aggressive marketing and it drives me away to other businesses. I did not give them my phone number for sales pitches.

In 25 years or so, I can count the calls from them on one hand - only when it's been more than a year since my last purchase. Only to see if I'm still OK, and if there's anything he can do for me. Takes 30 seconds - hardly enough to make me say "well I'm never buying from THEM again!" ð

In 25 years or so, I can count the calls from them on one hand - only when it's been more than a year since my last purchase. Only to see if I'm still OK, and if there's anything he can do for me. Takes 30 seconds - hardly enough to make me say "well I'm never buying from THEM again!" ð

Similar experience here. Seems this thread could be filed under,: First World Problems, Classic Examples". ;)

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Just ask them not to use your number for their outbound marketing calls. They make a note that removes your number from the automated dialer.

Several years ago Sweetwater was more aggressive about calls. They got pushback from some customers, so they will put you on a list if you ask not to be called.

I call my sales guy a whole lot more than he calls me. I get one or two "hey what's up calls" a year, but I do get a call about a month after I buy anything major, wanting to know if I'm happy with it and have any opinions or suggestions for improvements.

One time I had a good discussion about drums (he's a drummer). Gave me an idea for an article. I was kind of surprised he took the time, given that he knew up front it wouldn't result in a sale.

My experience has really varied. I used to get a call after every order and an occasional "checking in with you to see if you want to buy anything" call, maybe 2-3x a year. Then it slowed down to just a call after an occasional order. These days I have to call them; I haven't gotten a call from them for at least a year. Which is fine by me; if I want to spend money I'll spend money, so sales calls have never worked with me.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

years ago I received one call from them. just recently I received a call from musicians friend. only bought from them once years ago. right now sweetwater is the only place I buy from. nobody but nobody can beat their price, well at least for me, and on top of it tech support and a two year warranty.

How often were you getting calls?

Did you answer any calls?

I've been getting soliciting calls from Sweetwater. I had to write to them to put me on their do not call list. Sweetwater is aggressive and it's the only music vendor that makes soliciting calls to my cell phone. They need to realize that it can also drive customers away. I was looking into buying a Motion Sound KP series amp, but I didn't want to buy from Sweetwater. I found out that Musicians' Friend and its sister company Woodwind & Brasswind carry them also. I also buy from Kraft Music (always get some accessories for the same price) and B&H. B&H is interesting in that they do carry a lot of things including sound gear. I try my best to not shop from Amazon, either. Often I find better deals at B&H. Recently I bought speakers and an iPad 12.9 M1 from B&H and used their Payboo card to avoid the state sales tax. I pay off in the same month.

My rep has called me a couple times after I've been browsing on Sweetwater :) He's fairly aggressive, but then again I don't answer my phone unless it's a contact or I know I'm expecting a call at a certain time. No biggie.

Normally they can't give me much of a deal, but he certainly did on my Novation Summit, surprising the heck out of me. Proaudiostar always gave me the best deals but they seem to be out of stock on everything, and I suspect that if there was an issue with a piece of gear they might not be as helpful (but that's just my guess).

I might want to buy from Guitar Center, but I don't seem to ever get their coupons anymore (and of course the manufacturer has to not be on their giant list of exclusions.)

My sales rep Robert has rarely if ever called me out of the blue. He has been my rep for about 12 years, he always calls right after I order something just to let me know when I can expect it. Sometimes he will ask if I'm currently gigging, that kind of thing. Of course he always ends with, 'if I can help you with any future needs call me". When I ordered an MPC One he asked me what my plans for it were because I have never ordered anything like it in the past. Robert has always been friendly and is good at building rapport. I have never ever felt pushed to buy anything. And he has never suggested I buy anything I haven't asked his opinion about. Which is never because all my orders have been through the website. I do a lot of research before I buy.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

just to chime in:

In all my years dealing with SW, I've never had an aggressive sales call. I' get a call from my guy after I receive my order, to make sure all is well. Other than that, he calls me only twice a year just to see how things are going, and to remind me he's still with them.

No attempt to sell me when he calls.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I used to buy from Sweetwater and received frequent calls asking if there was anything they could help me with. At the time it made sense to sometimes buy from them because of sales tax savings. Sweetwater apparently only offers discounts for select customers and they would not budge on price for me. Then I started buying from Pro Audio Star in New York. Saved sales tax and they were willing to give good discounts. Now with sales tax savings gone I mostly buy from Guitar Center. They send out 20% off e-mails a few times a year and I can return an item to the local store if necessary. To the OP Guitar Center carries Motion Sound and currently has 20% off through Oct.18 if you are on their e-mail list. The 20% is not usable on some brands but might be worth checking out.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

just to chime in:

In all my years dealing with SW, I've never had an aggressive sales call. I' get a call from my guy after I receive my order, to make sure all is well. Other than that, he calls me only twice a year just to see how things are going, and to remind me he's still with them.

No attempt to sell me when he calls.

Same. I would have dropped them like a hot rock otherwise.

I make software noises.

I get a couple calls a year and it's always friendly. I tell them I'm not looking for anything right now, I'll let them know. Once in awhile I actually DO need something, like to stock up on a couple cables, a new sustain pedal, a stand; whatever. Then we can actually have a convo and they'll E-mail me with follow up. It's always smooth and professional.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I've had the same SW salesman for about the last ten years. He doesn't call unless I ask him to get back to me about something, but when I do order something he's is excellent at sending status emails. He gives me good prices or throws in extras when he can't change the main items price. I had a couple issues with items like a broken off knob when I got my RD-2000 he overnighted me an replacement and arranged shipped to return the broken RD. To me that is great service.

The only times I've had an issue with SW of late is when I need to place an order fast and can't get to my salesman. I will let phone system connect me to an alternative salesperson. The alternative vary a lot and not always in a good way. One guy seemed perturbed he was having to take call for another salesperson was racing to get off the phone. A recent one alternate I had when wanting a pair of low ohmage headphones kept telling me the ohmage didn't matter. I needed cans and just said here's brand and model I want take me order. Other than that in my 15+ years of buying from SW for myself or for places I've worked I've been really happy with their sales and service.

For comparison:

GC, I tend to buy small stuff or last minute needs. I've had issues with their online ordering screwing up shipping and I get charged.

Musician Friend, I used to buy from them quite a bit they had good sale prices and good prices on returned instruments.

ZZounds, only ordered once from them, but have to say their customer service was great.

Otherwise I try to buy from good local stores when I can.

I had a rep that would cold call me at work. I complained and ask for a new rep that would not call. They complied. I only get calls after I place an order over $500. I don't really mind those calls because it gives me a chance to complain about their heavy use of FedEx. Sweetwater is 5 1/2 hours from my house. It took FedEx 6 days to deliver my Roland MV-1, and they changed their estimated delivery day 4 times.

Oh, I did tell them to call me a couple months ago. My rep was on vacation so his cover guy called. I told him I was making a 20th anniversary order, I've been ordering from them for 20 years. I told him I expected something extra in the box, even if it was just an extra bag of candy, a patch cable, egg shaker, etc... I ordered a BitBox Eurorack sampler. That call got me a free t-shirt and free overnight shipping.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I may have gotten some "extra" calls from my SW rep after my first order from them (which were actually Etymotic isolating earphones for my wife to use with her iPod way back when), but none after that.

Maybe it's because every time he's not otherwise busy when I call, we end up chatting for 30 minutes or more. He's originally from Texas and went to the same high school as my wife, a few years later. We often have a bit to talk about, whether it's gear, Texas, living in Fort Wayne, or who knows what.

Or maybe it's because he's a slacker. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI