Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

My PC4-7 finally arrived today.

TL;DR I'm surprised that I'm not yet delighted, but it's too early for me to be legitimately disappointed.

It doesn't help that I have had a PC3 for multiple years, and it's become an extension of my musical mind. The PC4 is quite different from a PC3 -- a much bigger leap than the PC3 versus the K2600.

I was a little worried by the action at first -- the keys look substantially shorter than those on my closeted K2600. But when I came back to it after a few hours, I just played on it, and discovered, yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with it as a light-action piano. I still gotta port my KB3 settings (including BillW's wonderful 7-unit single Leslie) over to it before I can say whether I'm in love. Also, I gotta figure out if it's missing some orchestral voices -- I haven't come across the PC3's lovely English Horn yet.

The lack of predefined multi's is startling.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• 2 weeks later...

Recently bought a Meinl Percussion Woodcraft Professional cajon with internal piezo pickups (tone control too). I got involved with a salsa ensemble at my school, which has resulted in me starting to learn multiple hand percussion instruments that I don't have sitting around, and to be honest I kind of had considered one of these before anyways to help out at other gigs. Having a lot of fun with it.

Screenshot-2021-10-13-at-00-31-01-Meinl-Percussion-Woodcraft-Professional-Series-Pickup-Cajon-Makah.png

Otherwise I also got two more pairs of musician's earplugs (ETY Plugs), which I use at pretty much every rehearsal or performance on stage now to take things down 12db or so but not have muddied sound.

As the IK group buy was extended for another month, more chances for free software continue. In that light, I got their Stealth Limiter and Amplitube SVX2 bass amp collection plugins last week for free.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On a totally different note, I also just purchased CD versions of Nightwish's Decades compilation album and their older Dark Passion Play album. :rocker: I briefly toyed with getting the vinyl version of Dark Passion Play, which is also available, but realized I have way too many LPs as it is (+-150), most of which I haven't even listened to. Kind of interesting how things have come full circle with tech though.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

A pair of Presonus Eris E3.5 portable active speakers, just only for the laptop/ mobile devices.

Audio Technica ATH - M40 X headphones

ESI MIDImate eX, class compliant USB2.0 MIDI interface cable w/ 2 I/O ports automatically recognizing input/ output functionality on both the ports.

Means, you can have 2 physical 5-pin DIN MIDI Ins or 2 MIDI Outs or MIDI In and Out,- simply by pluggin´ in the related devices.

Very good build quality.

Works great w/ Win10 Pro, ASIO4All (latest beta) and my laptop (Intel i7 quad, 16GB RAM, 2 SSD).

A.C.

Roland Versalab MV-1. So why would someone that already owns the MC-101 and MC-707 want the Versalab? Well, I can tell you it is not for the vocal tracks. I wanted it for the Ipad connectivity to edit sounds, effects, and song building. If the 707 had that I would not have bothered, but it doesn't. But that is okay. I really like these boxes.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It's been spendy lately. Behringer P16-M personal monitors for the band, highly recommended. A new Bose F1 812 + sub system, again highly recommended. Ape Labs portable light show, backordered. I don't know if I mentioned the spare NS3C. PM me if questions.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

There's literally nothing like a distantly vintage, well-loved synth being reissued in the modern day, and having it meet your expectations- like the Minimoog Reissue.

But even better is having a distantly vintage, well-loved synth being reissued in the modern day, and having it exceed your expectations. I briefly owned a Waldorf Microwave I back around 1990-ish, but stupidly sent it back. Ever since then I have wanted to reacquire a MW I but missed out on auctions. The price for a vintage, Nextel-trashed, have to ship from Europe then re-do the power supply for 120V vintage MW I was going for around $3K once it was delivered and usable. Then Waldorf did this:

Waldorf-M-Wave-angle.jpg

Instabuy, and I have been thrilled ever since...!

Finally found it in stock at Sweetwater (US$60). Wasn't expecting it to be so great since it's 25% the price of the Cloudlifter CL-2 (US$249), but the nice clean gain has exceeded my expectations. It now lives permanently with my two dynamic mics: (Shure Beta 57A and Sennheiser e935). Looking at the space in my kit, I think I also need a matching set of pencil mics :)

Klark Teknik CM-2, Dynamic Mic Booster

https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DPB

IMG-0446.jpg

MicBoostCM2-large.jpg

Finally found it in stock at Sweetwater (US$60). Wasn't expecting it to be so great since it's 25% the price of the Cloudlifter CL-2 (US$249), but the nice clean gain has exceeded my expectations. It now lives permanently with my two dynamic mics: (Shure Beta 57A and Sennheiser e935). Looking at the space in my kit, I think I also need a matching set of pencil mics :)

Klark Teknik CM-2, Dynamic Mic Booster

https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DPB

IMG-0446.jpg

MicBoostCM2-large.jpg

2 inputs is nice. How tall is it? I have a Cloudlifer CL-1 and it isn't very rack-mount friendly. Recently I picked up a used but mint Cathedral Pipes Durham Mk II on eBay for around $60 plus tax and it sounds excellent. Compact, mounting in my patch bay rack was not a problem at all.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

How tall is it? I have a Cloudlifer CL-1 and it isn't very rack-mount friendly. Recently I picked up a used but mint Cathedral Pipes Durham Mk II on eBay for around $60 plus tax and it sounds excellent. Compact, mounting in my patch bay rack was not a problem at all.

Some comparison photos of the Klark Teknik CM-2.

- pencil mic is 22mm (Audio Technica AT2021)

- pair of Sony MDR-7506s in the back

- other mics: Sennheiser e935 (similar size to Shure SM58) and Shure Beta 57A

IMG-0454.jpg

IMG-0457.jpg

How tall is it? I have a Cloudlifer CL-1 and it isn't very rack-mount friendly. Recently I picked up a used but mint Cathedral Pipes Durham Mk II on eBay for around $60 plus tax and it sounds excellent. Compact, mounting in my patch bay rack was not a problem at all.

Some comparison photos of the Klark Teknik CM-2.

- pencil mic is 22mm (Audio Technica AT2021)

- pair of Sony MDR-7506s in the back

- other mics: Sennheiser e935 (similar size to Shure SM58) and Shure Beta 57A

IMG-0454.jpg

IMG-0457.jpg

Thanks, I just wondered if it fit into a rack. :)

From the Sweetwater spec page....

Tech Specs

Type: 2-channel In-line Mic Booster

Channels: 2

Inputs: 2 x XLR

Outputs: 2 x XLR

Power Supply: 48V phantom power

Height: 1.5"

Width: 2.6"

Depth: 3.3"

Weight: 0.81 lbs.

Manufacturer Part Number: 000-DPB00-00010

From the Sweetwater spec page....

Tech Specs

Type: 2-channel In-line Mic Booster

Channels: 2

Inputs: 2 x XLR

Outputs: 2 x XLR

Power Supply: 48V phantom power

Height: 1.5"

Width: 2.6"

Depth: 3.3"

Weight: 0.81 lbs.

Manufacturer Part Number: 000-DPB00-00010

Perfect, thank you!!!!!

It's been spendy lately. Behringer P16-M personal monitors for the band, highly recommended.

Been a fan for a few years now. I just wish i could get the other geezers in my band to convert to P16M + IEMs. They just like the unregulated backline thing too much to let go of it.

-Tom Williams

My PC4-7 finally arrived today.

TL;DR I'm surprised that I'm not yet delighted, but it's too early for me to be legitimately disappointed.

Update: I'm starting to love the PC4-7, at least for playing. The action serves both my expressive piano needs, and my fast organ lick needs. I don't do a lot of organ wipes / windmills / glissandi, so the risk of cutting my hand on the key edges is minimal. Comparing the Kurzweil pianos to the PX-5S, I'd say the latter's sounds are still slightly more inspiring; but the lighter action on the PC4-7 more than makes up for that.

I'm still evaluating programming / editing on the PC4 versus the PC3. So far I don't like the former as well, but that may be a combination of familiarity and font size.

-Tom Williams

Reverb Machine's set of 100 sounds for Cherry Audio's Memorymode synthesizer. It offers plenty for just $12, such as effective faux touch sensing through good envelope shaping. Some sounds go beyond what you might think of as traditionally Moog, or even analog.

I know that some decry sailing through patch libraries, but I encountered 30+ sounds that are personal keepers. Some are traditional, some are great as-is, but the ones I like best are the more quirky offerings that expand when tweaked.

Libraries from the smaller houses seem to have a creative edge. I love the aroma of a sound programmer who looks up and sees that six hours have zoomed by. This set passes that test nicely. :thu:

Memorymode patches

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Line 6 StageSource L2T

Serious upgrade for band rehearsal amp for my roles with the band - electric violin (with Line 6 HX Stomp XL), sampler, synth. Sounds great for electric guitar noodling at home too. Thank you very much Dave Bryce for the heads up. The Smart Speaker Modes are easy to use. Wasn't really in the market for this but could not pass up the sale price, and it's still discounted at the moment at Sweetwater.

SSL2T-large.jpg

Dirtywave M8 Tracker

Tracker-style sequencer/synth/sample player. Surprisingly powerful and well-built for the price. It's not too hard to learn to use either, and the display is not as tiny as photos would suggest. The photos don't really convey how well-built it is, or how great the keys feel. The screen is also touch responsive.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've owned many Rhodes pianos in my day, and even a CP80 (some of you may remember the old "Four Brothers" photo of my music room). Those old friends are all gone now, but these new ones arrived yesterday...

WQAjE4A.jpg

KLv3pRB.jpg

iqj6ZBo.jpg

QSqgWqa.jpg

Courtesy of the brilliant artwork of Daniel Kerson at Musical Brick -- definitely check out his creations.

Also these "official" kits: Fender Strat, Grand Piano

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73