Next Thread
Print Thread
RABid Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
There was a time that I would only buy and use Zildjain. That was back in the late 70's and early 80's when there was not a lot of choice. I had a friend at that time that would only use Paiste. Now I have Zildjain, Paiste, Sabian, Meinl and even a couple Wuhan China cymbals. (sigh) I'm such a cymbal whore. If you count the Roland V-cymbals I have 6 brands. I don't know how I slipped off of the straight and narrow path. I think it was those deals during various trips to Gearfest that got me. Anyway, are you brand loyal or do you go for variety?

This post edited for speling.
Drum Island
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
I used to own a few Zildjians, including a pair of K Zildjians hihats made in Turkey. You're right that Zildjians were just about all you could find.
I'm checking out cymbals now, decades later. I just want a few different sounds for studio projects.

I have a pair of Paiste 802 plus 14" hihats and I like them but I want other sounds. Tomorrow I'm picking up a pair of Meinl 13" hats that I bought cheap on eBay, just to see what those are like.

The hand held marching cymbals look interesting, sort of a hihat without a foot pedal, those might be fun. And I've smacked a few thrift store cymbals that were just junk, reformed pie tins.Sometimes that "garbage tone" might be good in a song.

Which has me interested in random metal objects. Some of them sound cool if struck, others not so much. I haven't found electronic cymbals to have the same sound qualities or variety of tones as analog metal stuff.
I have no brand loyalty whatsoever, If it sounds good I like it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have a pair of marching cymbals on the way - high hats without a stand. They are Paiste, made of the 2002 metal in Switzerland. 8" with leather handles. An eBayer had the pair listed for around the price of a single cymbal - $50.
Photos show them in excellent condition and the seller has excellent feedback so I feel confident that they will provide another vocabulary for recordings.

I'll check back in after I get a chance to try them out, they are supposed to be here Tuesday.

MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
The 8" Paiste "accent" cymbals arrived. They are in great condition and sound beautiful. Not what I was thinking they would sound like, they are more like bells. If you line them up well they do get that closing high hat sound.
Because you hold them in your hands you could do some interesting stereo effects with a pair of mics, that will be fun.

I’ve tried to use hi-hat and Zildjian in my passwords but unfortunately they don’t allow cymbals. whistle

Moderated by  Brian McConnon 

Link Copied to Clipboard