Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple M1X and M2 Rumors

Also there"s Parallels for Mac which, in my use of it, works much easier in that you can install Windows on it and run it along side MacOS and copy/paste between OS"s, etc without having to boot up in just one OS. Think of it as running Windows as an application in MacOS in its own window/screen. Works very well and no speed issues with anything I"ve thrown at it, although I haven"t used it for music stuff, mostly app development. As KuruPrionz said you do need to have the space available on your drive to install Windows and Parallels but the size of the partition can be dynamically allocated so you don"t lose unused drive space allocated for Windows.

Thanks Chris, I'll check out Parallels, maybe it will allow installation on my external boot drive. I've got plenty of space there.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only just got around to this:

Here's a case where it really is too bad you don't use Windows. Cakewalk, which is Windows-only, is the only program I know of where you can drag audio to the timeline, it analyzes the audio, and generates a tempo track. In addition to using this musically, I used it for an article where I analyzed tempo changes in classic rock songs.. Check out the article to see the screenshots.

How does it compare to the "Smart Tempo" mapping that Logic has had since 10.4?

You can drag an audio file into an empty arrangement, and it will generate a tempo map that you can use to automatically adapt anything else dragged or recorded into the project to the mapped tempo.

Or you can tell Logic to quantize the audio and flex it to a fixed tempo â and then speed it up or slow it down as you wish.

It *is* kinda iffy at times, but by and large, it works rather well.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Also there"s Parallels for Mac which, in my use of it, works much easier in that you can install Windows on it and run it along side MacOS and copy/paste between OS"s, etc without having to boot up in just one OS. Think of it as running Windows as an application in MacOS in its own window/screen. Works very well and no speed issues with anything I"ve thrown at it, although I haven"t used it for music stuff, mostly app development. As KuruPrionz said you do need to have the space available on your drive to install Windows and Parallels but the size of the partition can be dynamically allocated so you don"t lose unused drive space allocated for Windows.

Thanks Chris, I'll check out Parallels, maybe it will allow installation on my external boot drive. I've got plenty of space there.

I'm pretty sure that will only properly run the ARM version of Windows and corresponding software on Apple Silicon, so I wouldn't bank on that as a long-term option if you're thinking of moving to an M1(X) at this point.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

Only just got around to this:

Here's a case where it really is too bad you don't use Windows. Cakewalk, which is Windows-only, is the only program I know of where you can drag audio to the timeline, it analyzes the audio, and generates a tempo track. In addition to using this musically, I used it for an article where I analyzed tempo changes in classic rock songs.. Check out the article to see the screenshots.

You can drag an audio file into an empty arrangement, and it will generate a tempo map that you can use to automatically adapt anything else dragged or recorded into the project to the mapped tempo.

Or you can tell Logic to quantize the audio and flex it to a fixed tempo â and then speed it up or slow it down as you wish.

It *is* kinda iffy at times, but by and large, it works rather well.

Thanks, you set me off on a search. I am using Waveform Pro v. 11.5.18 and it has a function called Groove Doctor. The brief description provided in the usual blatherspew didn't alert me to the possibilities.

I searched and found tutorials.

The second tutorial describes a way of doing the thing that I want to do. Not only can you map a tempo, you can make other tracks tighten to that tempo or at the very least, have a set of accurate markers in place if you need to adjust the position of a note here and there.

I think it's everything I will need, I just have to learn to use it properly. I'm all in for that. :)

It's probably pilot error, but I don't get very good results with the program material I've tried. It seems to work okay for recording. Also, I never was able to figure out how to import 32-bit float files, I just get the spinning beach ball, and then have to Force Quit. It seems to import 24-bit and MP3 files fine, although then I get the tempo anomalies.

After reading your post, I figured I'd try it again tonight. I believe that it's a front end for Flex Time, so I started playing around with Flex Time parameters to see if that made a difference. I got pretty much the same results.

I could easily be missing some setting somewhere ("Well EVERYONE knows when you use Adapt Tempo, you first have to [fill in the blank]"). But after messing around with it for about an hour, searching for support docs and following the procedures, etc., I figured since I already had a solution that works well I'll just continue using that.

I had hoped that Logic would be better, because they introduced this feature two years after Sonar did, and I believe it has gone through a couple updates...so I figured maybe it was a next-gen kind of thing and would have some kind of advantage. The only issue I have with Cakewalk is sometimes, I need to change Melodyne's detection algorithm to get the best results with some material. But overall, it's scary good, even when I try to fool it.

Next week, I'm moving the MacBook Pro from my office into the studio, so I can do more Mac testing. If you have any tips on how to get Adapt Tempo to work with complex program files, 32-bit program files, or increase the resolution, I'll be glad to give it another try. I may just be missing something, and I'm always looking for better solutions.

One more thing: I haven't found anything better than Ableton for going in the other direction, i.e., taking something that varies in tempo and making it rock solid. I don't know if Traktor has added any kind of stretching, but when I was using it a lot it HAD to have a totally steady tempo. I'd prep my files in Ableton before using them in Traktor, it worked great.

Thanks for weighing in so comprehensively!

I"ve been using Logic"s Smart Tempo mostly to generate a tempo map for when I"m transcribing stuff for my students (it"s nice to just play along to the original and have the transcription be rhythmically accurate from the get-go), and the occasional remix.

I"ve never delved too deeply into it. But when you get into stretching, it seems important to select a flex algorithm appropriate to the material.

Beyond that, I wish there were an 'everybody knows' to get the thing to properly respond to slightly rubato piano parts.

Back on topic alert:

New Apple Event 'Unleashed' on October 18th.

High-end Apple Silicon MacBooks Pro expected, new AirPods.

Beyond that, some rumblings about larger iMacs and MacBook Air overhaul.

High-end Apple Silicon MacBooks Pro expected...

Okay, that's starting to get interesting...I wonder how soon before a desktop version with new silicon appears.

What do you mean by "desktop"? The M1 24" iMacs are out, as well as the mini. Do you mean Mac Pro? Last I heard that's going to be a while because of what the Xeon gives them right now.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

High-end Apple Silicon MacBooks Pro expected...

Okay, that's starting to get interesting...I wonder how soon before a desktop version with new silicon appears.

What do you mean by "desktop"? The M1 24" iMacs are out, as well as the mini. Do you mean Mac Pro? Last I heard that's going to be a while because of what the Xeon gives them right now.

Yes, Mac Pro. iMacs just don't do it for me as a replacement for a Windows desktop that's expandable, feeds a honkin' big touchscreen, etc. I have a dual Xeon desktop Mac, but it won't go past Lion. I was hoping I could at least download the Hello Kitty OS :)

Back on topic alert:

Clipped from YouTube:

REDESIGNED MACBOOK PROS, NEW AIRPODS, PRO MAC MINI.

Back on topic alert:

Clipped from YouTube:

REDESIGNED MACBOOK PROS, NEW AIRPODS, PRO MAC MINI.

no new Pro Mac Mini

Beats me why it was in the YT channel stream.

I pondered the possibility that the Mac Mini might get a model with more RAM and conclude that it would cost more if it did.

That, coupled with solid reviews of the current Mac Mini and the availability of Apple refurbished products had me deciding to pick up a Mac Mini with 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD for $929 and tax.

It's here, I am still configuring it so I haven't given it a run yet but I was doing pretty OK with a 2014 MacBook Pro so I figure this will be much better.

I'll come back when I know more about it.