Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential Take 5

Yeah I flicked through his video. Don"t get me wrong, it sounds 'good', but I just went and listened to some more P5 demos and the basic tone is so much better. I think I will keep waiting for the OB (if it ever comes).

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Yeah I flicked through his video. Don"t get me wrong, it sounds 'good', but I just went and listened to some more P5 demos and the basic tone is so much better. I think I will keep waiting for the OB (if it ever comes).

For me, a visit to our favorite local shop will tell the tale.

I don't deny that the last time I went to that store, I had fun comparing P5, OB6, P6, Moog One, PRev2, etc. all in person.... and it was the P5 that kept calling me back.

I could got to the shop now or tomorrow to settle the T5 vs P5 score but there's some other gear I want to try in the shop too and those are still in Preorder status, not In Stock status.

I played one earlier this afternoon. Is it perfect? No. Is it the best "bang for the buck" synth currently available right now? For me the answer is yes. I didn't buy it, didn't go expecting to buy it.

Maybe in my future, maybe not. Will have to sleep on it.

:nopity:

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing the Matt Johnson demo taught me it how much I like a sine wave oscillator shape (none of my synths have it) and how I love having a mod matrix and aux envelope. The options are "endless" with those two.

Fantastic player Matt.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Matt confirmed my general feelings about the basic tone, and has made me reconsider an OB-6.

Gosh I wish they"d rerelease an Obxa and put me and many others out of their misery!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I tried the OB-6 in the same room as other Sequential synths. That put an end to any lingering GAS I may have had for it.

Not saying it's terrible, sounds like dogpoo or anything. They all sounded good to me. It's just that one really stood out to my ears and it wasn't the OB-6.

I'm not going to say what synth it is, because taste in sound is subjective. I've been at hangs with some fellow KC forum members, and each had their own opinions on what was "best", depending on context.

I thought Matt's review was interesting as well.

I also agree there is no need to start a separate thread just to discuss Matt's review.

Maybe you can get a moderator to delete my Matt Johnson post and someone can post.

Well, I wasn't the one who called that out first, but since you're talking to me, my response:

I'm not going to bother a moderator over this. The post is sinking into the past by itself.

I was pretty invested in the DSI and Sequential instruments the past couple of years. I had the Mopho x4, the Mopho Keys, the Prophet 6, a PRO2 and a PRO3, and two REV2's.

Why two Prophet REV2's? Well, I couldn't help but be influenced by reading forums for keyboard advice (my wife won't listen to me about these kind of things!) and the REV2 often is cited as an excellent Analog synth for the money. A lot of history behind it as well (Prophet 8, Mopho, then REV2, etc...) But, no matter how much I tried and no matter how many soundbanks I bought, it always ended up feeling cold to my ears. Hard to explain, but almost a bit stiff sounding to my ears if that makes any sense. Tweaking it was not as joyful as other synths I have owned.

I eventually took a chance at the PRO3 (hmmm...analog VCOs vs analog DCOs I wondered?) I was immediately rewarded with a much more rounded, warm, chewy, and organic listening experience. When I saw the Take 5 announcement, I sold my REV2.

This is my sonic impression of the Take 5 as well. For me, it was immediate to my ears this was in a similar class to the Prophet 6 I owned and the limited experience I have had with the OB6. Yes, there are differences between them all, but I feel Sequential has done a remarkable job at releasing an affordable synth that sound-wise is the best thing out there currently for the money. Everyone's ears might gravitate towards different things (Peak, Hydrasynth) but this is a very notable release.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

I loved the sounds of expensive synths in the 80s. I suppose apart from production issues I continue to be so. These products might be more action packed, tuning stable and complicated than some of the older synthesizers. I don't like the sound of many modern incarnations, and never see a "produced" demo anywhere, presumably that won't make anything etter anyhow if general modern productions are the yardstick for success.

T

Wow, been playing the Take5 to my heart"s content.

This is a beast, sturdy build, perfectly feeling knobs and buttons, great action, but above all, that sound. That wonderful, wonderful sound. It is an analogue beast for sure. So much power in such an amazingly handy package. Kudos to Team Smith for this marvel. Not touching that Prologue anymore, this is where it"s at from now on. Until the OB-X gets launched, of course ;)

Wow, been playing the Take5 to my heart"s content.

This is a beast, sturdy build, perfectly feeling knobs and buttons, great action, but above all, that sound. That wonderful, wonderful sound. It is an analogue beast for sure. So much power in such an amazingly handy package. Kudos to Team Smith for this marvel. Not touching that Prologue anymore, this is where it"s at from now on. Until the OB-X gets launched, of course ;)

I have one on order, due in later this week. Glad to hear you are so happy with it, and really looking forward to getting mine.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Mine arrived yesterday, spent a few hours just stepping through presets and playing. I am really impressed with the Take 5! I haven't had a true analog poly synth since my last great synth purge, when I sold a Prophet 600 and an Oberheim Matrix 6r, the latter I particularly miss. I also spent about several years with a Prophet 5 Rev 3 in the mid-late '80's.

For me, the Take 5 really hits the spot. I found I could get totally lost in the sound, just tweaking the presets. The aftertouch is programmed into most patches, and really adds to the liveliness of the sound. The on-board effects are great, but the patches are not buried in reverb and delay, I really appreciate this, because often with a new synth, my first step is to strip out the effects just so I can hear the basic quality of the synth. This synth sounds good enough that it doesn't need to hide behind the reverb.

It's a very playable synth. I wish the keyboard was just a little bit longer, at least going down to E, but I can live with it as is. The octave split/transpose feature is frankly brilliant as compensation for the short keyboard, and I won't be surprised to see it as a feature on other boards.

I was mainly getting this for the studio, but I think it'll make it into the live rig as well. It's built solidly, the pots feel great, the keyboard feels great.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I didn"t have time to go in depth but thus far I like it very much. The basic sound is really good to my ears. Maybe not at p5/p6 level, but more than enough for me. The modulation options with this makes this a perfect synth for me. It has far more modulation capabilities than my VA (Nord a1); can you imagine. Programming sounds from scratch is really easy. I think some of the effects are not stunning (I didn"t care for the chorus for instance). Did"t try them all yet. The reverb is really usable. I guess the effects are enough for a live situation.

Rudy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post here about an issue I had the other night with the Take 5, it is mystifying to me, and, so far, to Sequential's tech support. I was wondering if anyone had anything similar happen.

When using the Take 5 with the SoundTower editor/librarian, it developed an extreme latency, a keypress took 1-2 seconds before triggering sound. This was after backing up my custom patches and banks, and loading a 3rd party bank into the Take 5. It was connected via USB, and the latency persisted through unplugging the USB connection, power cycling several times, and running all the global tuning/reset/calibration routines. However, after powering the Take 5 down and leaving it to sit overnight, the latency was gone, and the synth has functioned perfectly ever since. I have not had the courage to try the editor/librarian again, though.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

On 1/18/2022 at 8:59 PM, NewImprov said:

However, after powering the Take 5 down and leaving it to sit overnight, the latency was gone, and the synth has functioned perfectly ever since. I have not had the courage to try the editor/librarian again, though.

I would have done the exact same thing. Doesn't help you fix the problem I know. 

:nopity: