Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

..... and I think this is the first update the CP has had since the YC came out, right?......

No, the CP had had 3 updates since the YC was released -- (OK. one was at the same time as the YC release)

CP updates..... v.1.2 : Sept 2019 --- v.1.3: Jan 20 -- v.1.4: Sept 2020 -- v.1.5: Sept 2021

YC updates... v1.01 (bug fix only): April 2020 -- v.1.10: Jan 2021.. That's it !

Sorry, I still think Yamaha are favouring their CP customers - I'm sure they have their reasons?....

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

..... and I think this is the first update the CP has had since the YC came out, right?......

No, the CP had had 3 updates since the YC was released -- (OK. one was at the same time as the YC release)

CP updates..... v.1.2 : Sept 2019 --- v.1.3: Jan 20 -- v.1.4: Sept 2020 -- v.1.5: Sept 2021

YC updates... v1.01 (bug fix only): April 2020 -- v.1.10: Jan 2021.. That's it !

Ah. Though that still makes this the second CP update, not the third. The YC61 came out in April 2020. (It was *announced* in January, but it was months before it started to ship.)

Since the YC came out, there have been CP updates in Sept 2020 and Sept 2021; and a YC update in Jan 2021. If the CP and YC are currently on similar schedules, then maybe we can expect the next YC update in Jan 2022.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can usb (ipad really) zones be part of splits and layers like they can on the MODX? I know this has a built-in audio/midi interface so hopefully yes.

That would be a strong plus if so. I have a MOXF8, not super happy with the action and I'm not sure yet about options for including ipads into splits on it (like I can on my MODX7, where I use B-3X with great success).

Can usb (ipad really) zones be part of splits and layers like they can on the MODX? I know this has a built-in audio/midi interface so hopefully yes.

That would be a strong plus if so. I have a MOXF8, not super happy with the action and I'm not sure yet about options for including ipads into splits on it (like I can on my MODX7, where I use B-3X with great success).

Yes, you can have up to 4 zones controlling the iPad. This was the main reason I went with the CP73. Each zone sends everything you need for a live set: prog change, volume, octave shift, channel etc. And pedals, pitch and mod can all be assigned too, It"s very comprehensive and worked perfectly. However, I sold it because the of the touch sensitivity. But that seems to have been sorted with the latest update although that only effects internal sounds. I got around it in Module Pro by adjusting the velocity curve.

Still no feedback from 73 owners on the update yet...

Excellent, good to hear that. I figured that was the case.

Edit: I was asking about key actions on the two but this thread has a lot of info on it, I'll read back before asking the same old same old again! Obviously if I can find a music store around here with more than "home keyboards" and tiny controllers the best thing would be the try them out....

I can't comment on the 88s as I haven't owned one but if you trawl through this thread there are plenty of positive comments about the CP88 action. The CP73 action is better than the MOX8F which is GHS I think. The CP73 is BHS and very similar to the P121 - I've owned both and would opine that the CP is slightly better. And now with the Velocity update playing internal sounds should be more enjoyable - being able to make the Rhodes bark for example without using too much force.

EDIT - you beat me to it!

Okay so the CP88 arrived today! First thing I did was update the firmware to 1.5 before I tried it. So far I have to say I love it! The overall build quality of this board is a massive step up from the Roland RD88 as are the sounds! I found the Roland piano samples quite synthetic and they had a nasty harsh clangy tone when played at higher velocities!

As much as I wanted to love the RD88 due to its weight and price, it feels and sounds like a toy next to the CP88! The action is slightly heavier than I"m used to on the Roland RD boards but feels excellent to play! Also, I really like the new Hamburg sample! It sounds less edgy than the previous samples in the CP and has a very nice warmth and richness without sounding dull or boxy! I also noticed that this new sample has release samples and the hammer noise is more noticeable. I personally really like this as it sounds more organic and realism.

It is still very earlier days bu first impressions are extremely positive!!

I"m getting the YC88. Best of both worlds, I"m sure.

Tough call for me. While the YC has significant advantages, there are also things I prefer about the CP. I wrote about that at https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/cp73-cp88-vs-yc73-yc88 (and related, https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/cool-hidden-feature-in-cp73-cp88-front-panel-voice-selection ). Though then I got spooked because I think the 88 I played was a YC88, and Dave Ferris said that the YC88 had better plano playability than the CP88, even though they ostensibly use the same action! But still, we don't know for sure that his experience applies to all the YC88 and CP88 units, rather than being some kind of unit-to-unit variation, perhaps from different production runs of the action that might not be tied to which board they end up in. But that's just supposition. One thing I'm happy about, though, is that the new update provides a lot more control over the velocity curve, so hopefully that will solve the issue, whatever it may be!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"m getting the YC88. Best of both worlds, I"m sure.

Well yes and no. Whilst the YC does add the organ and mono lead synths and more effects, I much prefer the Hamburg grand piano sample to the other Yamaha samples. Also, the felt piano is really nice along with the new pads.

However, both the YC and CP have built in audio interfaces so you can trigger external sample from a laptop or IOS device. There are a few great apps for pianos and organs such as Pure Piano, Ravenscroft, VB3 and B3X.

As AnotherScott pointed out though, the CP has a more immediate workflow. At the moment I have both the CP88 and YC61 here and whilst I love the layout of the YC61, the CP88 is even more intuitive and quicker to use.

Regarding the action, the CP88 I have here feels great straight out the box and I haven"t messed with the touch settings.

One thing I have found with both the CP and YC is that once I start playing on them, I find it very hard to stop! I find both boards very addictive! That"s something I"ve not have with other keyboards in the past!

Choosing a new DP is a tough task... I'm on a RD800 and have been ever since it came out. I love the piano designer function but must say I'm done with the core piano tones. I've come close to something I like with lot's of editing but in need of something new now.

A friend of mine was kind enough to lend me a YC88 for a couple of weeks. I really liked it at first but the lack of decay in all the piano sounds made me 'overplay'. I only played it at home using Adam monitors ... I know on stage playing is different but when you use your DP at home and on stage, the abillity to have multiple sounds for whatever environment becomes important.

dickiefunk, would you say that the Hamburg Grand is more of a piano for home/monitor playing?

Yamaha CP88, EV zxa1

As AnotherScott pointed out though, the CP has a more immediate workflow. At the moment I have both the CP88 and YC61 here and whilst I love the layout of the YC61, the CP88 is even more intuitive and quicker to use.
My one wish for the CP88 is that it had Nord-style "live sets" in addition to the presets, and I'm told that the YC88 has those. That said, I prefer the panel layout and simplicity of the CP, especially since (as I was just saying on another thread) I'll compromise a lighter action for piano if I'm slimming down a rig, but I won't usually mess around with playing organ or lead synth on a weighted piano action.

Anyway, all this said, this is my first stage piano upgrade in a decade, so I'm extremely pleased with it.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

My one wish for the CP88 is that it had Nord-style "live sets" in addition to the presets, and I'm told that the YC88 has those.

AFAIK, the CP88 and YC88 "live set" functions are identical, except that the CP88 ones can store the global EQ and the YC ones can't. Neither has the equivalent of Nord's "live" locations, if that's what you're thinking of (the ability to have 4 or 5 buttons that call up presets that automatically store any changes you make).

YC owners, can the organ section be assigned a MIDI channel? Anyone tried throwing a more organ like action controller above it?

It cannot be assigned its own MIDI channel, but there is a separate YC function that supports what you're asking for, it allows an external board to control one of its sounds, even though all the sounds are on the same MIDI channel. (See the "External Keyboard" section of the manual.)

I can't comment on the 88s as I haven't owned one but if you trawl through this thread there are plenty of positive comments about the CP88 action. The CP73 action is better than the MOX8F which is GHS I think. The CP73 is BHS and very similar to the P121 - I've owned both and would opine that the CP is slightly better. And now with the Velocity update playing internal sounds should be more enjoyable - being able to make the Rhodes bark for example without using too much force.

EDIT - you beat me to it!

I've read conflicting things about that, which is why I need to try it out. Some people saying it's a balanced version of GHS but basically the same, others that it's an unfortunate similarity in name and that it's different!

Then again, if I go play something with GHS on any given day my opinion seems to change. Weird how that is.

That said, I prefer the panel layout and simplicity of the CP

That makes 2 of us! I have been missing my CP73 after dragging the YC88 out on gigs- CP73 is much easier for this tech-challenged person to work with on the fly. I like the YC88 but I'm very glad I didn't jump the gun in selling the CP73.

Tonight I have a gig in a very cramped stage area and I look forward to using the CP73's new sounds from the V1.5 update. Very appreciative of those!

• 4 weeks later...
It's back... :D I just picked it up a short time ago right as the GC was closing. Haven't had time to download the new OS, I think I need a tutor. Elmer ......!

Dueling Yamahas.

It's like that old flame you just can't seem to let go of...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Oh, that's a bit surprising to hear, given the general appraisal for the P-515. Can't wait to try one out myself. I"m curious to know how you like the new Hamburg Grand in the CP88.

Yamaha C3 | CP4 | CK88 | P-121 | Sauter 108 Studio | Schimmel 112 |

It's back... :D I just picked it up a short time ago right as the GC was closing. Haven't had time to download the new OS, I think I need a tutor. Elmer ......!

Dueling Yamahas.

:) you"re holding on to the N3x. There really isn"t anything better that"s digital. Except possibly the Novus NV10S and I can"t comment on it because I haven"t seen one in the wild. lol

I"ve been doing weddings/cocktails with the CP88 - it"s really significantly better sounding and playing than the PX-560 (although I"m keeping the 560 for pain in the ass jobs where lighter and good enough cuts it for me). I"ve been switching sample sets depending on the room I"m in. Used the Imperial in a huge room the other night through my Mackie 10' PA speaker. This was one of the first ones where I wish I had brought a second monitor for coverage. Anyway, ya you can get your effort on the action to bite into the higher velocity samples more easily by tweaking the velocity curve. It doesn"t take much. You notice it right away as you raise above default 64.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the CP88 I picked up last year. I was primarily focused on getting an action I really liked the feel of as a controller to compose with for a primarily in-the-box setup. The theory was that built-in sounds would be serviceable enough for practice and exploring ideas when I didn't want to bother with the DAW, but I've found a number of pianos and layered configurations with EPs and pads that I can play on without feeling like I'm compromising at all. It's a really lovely, immediately accessible instrument as a contrast to the endless fiddling that's possible with the full software stack.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the CP88 I picked up last year. I was primarily focused on getting an action I really liked the feel of as a controller to compose with for a primarily in-the-box setup. The theory was that built-in sounds would be serviceable enough for practice and exploring ideas when I didn't want to bother with the DAW, but I've found a number of pianos and layered configurations with EPs and pads that I can play on without feeling like I'm compromising at all. It's a really lovely, immediately accessible instrument as a contrast to the endless fiddling that's possible with the full software stack.

Agree with this post. I have a CP 73, didn't want a CP 88 as I have a Kawai VPC-1. A/B'd it next to my Wurlitzer 200 using internal sounds and VST's. CP 73 won. Jim Kost had told me this quite a while ago, finally got the chance to do the comparison myself. Got really, really close to Scarbee 88 Rhodes, enough that I'm no longer using it or Orange Key Famous "E" Rhodes. Very happy camper here. Yamaha CFX is not quite up to Native Instruments Noire for home studio use, but live, if that's your thing, you are good to go.

:nopity: